Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
The new math, aka "what's the best buying strategy?"

I guess the easiest way to buy new TF stuff, especially new releases, is "see TF, buy TF". But unfortunately, my bank account doesn't allow for that!...and I thought that nothing was so rare or poorly distributed that there are some cases where you're not going to get your item at the current retail price.

I've learned this quite recently with Soundwave MP from Hasbro. Lucky for me, a member offered his up and I only had to pay shipping extra. But if I didn't, my only option would be to pay the inflated prices on ebay (which I now know are actually a lot more than you'd pay, in most cases, than if you went to a community forum like this one, another lesson learned).

Let me tell you, there's not many things more pathetic than a grown-ass man clicking on "refresh" at the TRU.ca website, waiting for the 'Out of Stock' on the Soundwave MP page to show 'Currently In Stock' this past week! As far as I know, this was the second resupply of stock, and I have a feeling (I could be completely wrong) that we won't see Soundwave in TRU before Christmas. And therein lies part of my questions:

1) How long to the MPs from Hasbro usually see shelf life? 6 months? Longer? I have heard about the MP-10 fiasco, but I know that SW was there for a while, and at least one month of me staring, waiting for some kind of sale to drop him under a hundred dollars. That didn't happen, and I missed the boat.

2) What methods do you guys who have families and other hobbies use to make sure you get what you want, and at the best price (usually through a sale of some sort)? The best option is directly from TRU.ca or possibly Sears, as I don't think Walmart here in Canada ships (could be wrong)...that's where you get the best retail price. Note: I should say finding it on a shelf in a TRU is the best way (again, with a sale!), but that's hard to do if you're not near a TRU. Any tips other than just buy it all as soon as you can?

I certainly don't want to pay more than I have to again, especially since all the bots I want are up there in price. Yes, you gotta be willing to pay but now that the MPs from Takara are averaging upwards of 200, my only 'real' option is to wait for the Hasbro MP versions...which I'm cool with, but then something like MP-10 comes along and I miss the boat, lol!

3) Maybe buying a few extras of stuff that folks here want, in case that in the future I can either trade or sell to cover future costs? I've read some threads about the philosophy of how to price your bots, especially here vs ebay.

I'm ordering from BBTS for the first time and I'm worried about the extra costs regarding fees, but I have no choice: I won't be available to pickup Platinum Predaking when TRU gets him in December. That can be a pain as well, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Long post, as usual Any tips? Thanks again, this place is great
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: The new math, aka "what's the best buying strategy?"

I set aside a bit of funds every paycheck, this is where most of my TF/Toy money comes from. This allows me to "See TF, Buy TF" which is really the only concrete way I've been able to secure most of my collection. Otherwise, I find myself willing to pay the small markup that BBTS and other online retailers charge for the figures I want, I preorder pretty much everything I want and can cancel if I find it cheaper elsewhere.

As far as TRU MPs, it is very much luck of the draw. It does help to check the boards here daily when you know a figure release is imminent. 9 times out of 10, someone else will see a figure online before you think to check that site.

And in the end, the peeps here are usually very helpful and not overly (and mostly not at all) greedy. I've been able to pick up quite a few figures that I missed at retail thanks to members here.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

the thing with waiting for hasbro MP's is that simply there is not garuntee that hasbro will release that certain mold/character and if hasbro does not release it then that usually starts a price war on the Takara MP witch usually spikes the price up super high
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I assume your discussion is limited to MP figures.

I would buy from TFSource over BBTS, and a Canadian vendor over either of those due to the uncertainties of shipping costs, customs/duties, etc.

As for Hasbro MPs, I had three soundwaves at one point, offered up the extras, no one wanted them, so I returned them. Get your desire out there soon and publicly if possible. Use the wanted list, use some of these group "who needs a figure" type threads, and put it in your signature what you're looking for.

These TRU preorders will hopefully be used going forward as they seem to be better for both TRU and for fans to try and ensure everyone who wants one gets one (not perfect of course, but better than MP-10).

Lastly - Patience. Many people give up collecting every year, particularly as finances can get tight, kids come along etc. Look for the opportunities to pick up what you missed, because in some cases, almost everyone may have picked up the figure originally, and you might be one of the few people interested in the figure on the secondary market.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

In terms of general collecting, patience is key. For mainline toys, more often than not, a figure will pop of eventually.

If you're like me and can't be bothered to spend the time and gas to seriously hunt any more, preorder from an online retailer. I order from BBTS and use their pile of loot option to maximize my shipping dollar. I usually only do this for figures I really want and generally the cost including shipping is really close to the retail price here, sometimes less if they're having a sale. And if you factor in saving gas because it's delivered, it's almost the same price.

Which brings me to this. Only buy the figures you really really want. Don't get caught up with impulse buys just because the figure is new. This will save you a lot of money.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

oh I only buy characters I want/adore, same with everything else I collect. But that is hard on the wallet too. The good thing is only Monster High and Ever After High have new lines coming out by Christmas, I have zero idea what Hasbro has planned in terms of new stuff.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
laffy
Crossover

if you keep up on this board you will know a head of time when stuff comes in or coming.. I always keep a transformer fund open just in case something comes up and I have to buy it.... just like mp 18 ICFJ should be getting him tomorrow and I have my cash ready for him when it comes in....
as for stock... MP are a collector line and geared for adults not for kids... and is always in limited run....
canbott I feel for you but if you want to start collecting the mps and reissue g1s you will have to suck it up and spend (buy) asap or you may miss out...
I for 1, if mps where everywhere and easy to get most would not collect them as they will be worth jack just like the movie line....
lastly Canbott you comment " Let me tell you, there's not many things more pathetic than a grown-ass man clicking on "refresh" at the TRU.ca website"
My comment is There's nothing more pathetic than a grown-ass man cry that he or she can't get a toy at a good price and wine about it on a forum"
As I don't do the web ordering thing , many do so please do us all a favor and NOT insult many members on this forum thank you...
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
elburrito
Animated

For me, it's prioritize. I have a rule about what I collect and what I don't and I stick to it. My lines are G1 and Masterpiece.

Courtesy of this boards (and a few other sources) I usually know well in advance what is coming. Places like Automaton Toys will let you preorder and pay when the item actually arrives. In this way, I often have months to make sure I can afford an item when it is released.

I no longer order from BBTS, TF Source, Toy Wiz, Toys on Fire, CMD Store, SNS Toyshop, Toy Arena etc... because I find that the transformers are (almost) always more expensive from those sites and I usually had to pay an extra-15-30% fee on delivery.

Automaton is also more expensive than some of the Asian online retailers, but is Canadian so no duty and I like to support Canadian where I can.

That said, Robot Kingdom and Chimungmung often have products that are out of stock in other places. A recent example is MP-12 Sideswipe that is still up for $80 at Chimungmung and was throughout the entire MP-12 frenzy.

I am not certain why more people are not enthused about Chimungmung. The prices are good, the shipping reasonable and the fellow who operates it is a nice guy and responsive to questions.

I have gotten a bit off topic, in short, pick what you want well in advance and then shop around online until you find the best price.

Also, do not get caught up in the, "what if I don't get one" panic (see the MP Soundwave @ TRU thread that's still here somewhere). MP 10 is still available and at a reasonable price. So is MP 13.

If you have a little bit of pre-planning and stick to your wits, you will never miss out.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

As far as MP's go, I'd say grab them if you see them. They are always a hot item.

Other stuff will usually show up with patience. Even if it doesn't hit regular retailers(TRU, Walmart) it could still show up at discounters(XS Cargo, Winners).

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffy View Post
if you keep up on this board you will know a head of time when stuff comes in or coming.. I always keep a transformer fund open just in case something comes up and I have to buy it.... just like mp 18 ICFJ should be getting him tomorrow and I have my cash ready for him when it comes in....
as for stock... MP are a collector line and geared for adults not for kids... and is always in limited run....
canbott I feel for you but if you want to start collecting the mps and reissue g1s you will have to suck it up and spend (buy) asap or you may miss out...
I for 1, if mps where everywhere and easy to get most would not collect them as they will be worth jack just like the movie line....
lastly Canbott you comment " Let me tell you, there's not many things more pathetic than a grown-ass man clicking on "refresh" at the TRU.ca website"
My comment is There's nothing more pathetic than a grown-ass man cry that he or she can't get a toy at a good price and wine about it on a forum"
As I don't do the web ordering thing , many do so please do us all a favor and NOT insult many members on this forum thank you...
I've sent you a PM, but just so that everyone else knows: my intention in my post was not to insult anybody.

My topic isn't a whine about prices, but to be fair I can see why you (Laffy) thought that. I know how expensive these toys are, which is why I wanted to know more about how the experienced collectors make sure they get what they want at the best possible price.

I wanted to clear that up; thanks for the advice given above, I plan on using it in the future.
CanBot is offline   Reply With Quote