Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #11
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: [ADVICE SOUGHT] How Do You Downsize? Marie Kondo Your Collections?

Anything that's been in a bin for 3 or more years straight, and is unlikely to ever see any shelf time ever again, can go. Also, if you have figures where you've gotten a "better version" recently, they can go too.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #12
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

collections aren't clutter but if you collect long enough there is always stuff to trim.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #13
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibasherx View Post
I've been sitting around with this question for some time now. I've recently went through cataloging all the items and there are a lot that I haven't even opened, or touched in 5+ years. What's the best options to sell these?

To be honest, I'm not sure that's the best way to offload them - if I should BST them here, or if I should go through ebay/kijiji or Craig's list. I like the idea of getting the most for the figures, but I'm hesitant on the potential headaches; and I know, there'll be trade offs for either case.

Im in a similar predicament. I'm ready to massively downsize. But being where I am, away from most cons and such. Its the process of actually getting rid of the stuff I can't seem to figure out. And with shipping prices being what they are these days posting online didnt seem like it would work out well. I tried eBay before and I dont think I'd go that route again.

So, Ive mostly been just putting more and more into storage until I can come up with a solution. Ive all but stopped picking up TFs for the last few years so the opened up shelf space as gone to other things as more TF go into storage.

My best idea is at some point hopefully in the near future I can do a big trade in to a shop a few hours away that seems to do a lot of buy sell and trade. But I know I won't get as much, but it alleviates a lot of potential headaches and problems.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:27 AM   #14
SignalLancR
Generation 1

In short, the most important step towards downsizing is reason. Why do you want to downsize? Why do you collect in general? And why do you keep each individual figure?

These are big questions, but you can approach each of them in your own time. Here's some food for thought: There is a painting by Ren? Magritte called The Treachery of Images. It is a simple painting of a smoking pipe with text underneath it saying, in french, "this is not a pipe". If you had this painting, you would have just that; a painting of a pipe rather than a pipe itself. You can look at a painting, you can smoke a pipe, yet both have value and use.

Are you getting any more use out of any one figure than you would out of a picture of that figure? A picture would take up less space, be easier to come by, and not have any parts to lose or dust. So why have the figure?

For me, I love changing my display. I love interacting with my figures, posing them, transforming them, combining them and so on. Say you keep everything sealed and arranged as if it were the toy store of your dreams. If it's worth the space to you, then that's valid. If it helps make your house feel like home, it's worth it.

What's important is finding your answers for yourself and your collection, not copying someone else. Find what you love about your collection. You can start with finding the difference between figures you prefer and figures you don't. Do you prefer articulation? Features? Colours? Sought after figures? Figures with a story or a happy memory?

I've found creativity loves chains. Getting the most out of my collection meant saying goodbye to a lot of it and focusing in on a few sub-collections I really love. I don't have some toys I really liked anymore, but I still have the memories. Plus, if I change my mind, I can track them down and have them again. Even the rare ones. It just takes time.

Now I have hard-set limits about my collecting budget and display area and my hobby is better for it. I'm happier, my collection looks better, and I feel like I'm in control of my collection rather than the other way around. I think about the time I showed my collection to a friend and they said "Oh, you're a hoarder". I need to know for myself that I'm not hoarding. I need my hobby to come from curiosity and joy, not anxiety.

Think about this. If you had all the money in the world, would you buy every figure you ever wanted as quickly as you could? I bet you wouldn't. Or, at least, I wouldn't. I like the hunt. A significant chunk of the reason to keep a figure is the story of how I found it. Wantonly consuming all my whims without considering their validity would sour the whole experience.

My point is take some time to reflect on your hobby and find what's right for you. Books are a good prompt to start the internal conversation, but only you can answer these questions for yourself. Take your time. If you get it wrong, try again. No one's perfect.

Best of luck. Show off your collection when you've made progress, okay? I'd love to see it.
SignalLancR is offline   Reply With Quote