Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #31
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: Siege Jetfire is in stock @ TRU

And he's home with the family....

First impressions: where the heck am I going to put him... my Siege shelf is way too small for him... argh... if I knew they'd make such large figures I would have planned differently.

But that said... he's big, he's sturdy, great plastic, feels a bit like the type they used for OP (Siege voyager) but a bit softer, which is quite fine, as it offers a bit of flexibility with such a large size.

The good: robot mode, they did a great job and the face shield/mask is something that I am very grateful for as it looks amazing, but I prefer a robot/mech head type than human face. Overall a very nice, even stunning figure.

The bad: while plane mode looks amazing from the top, the undercarriage is so much robot kibble that could have been done better, and hidden more. The leg ratchets are great except for one that' s missing so I feel that in time, lots of these figures may learn to do a split. The arm cannons accessories don't hold all that well, and the hands transformation's pins to hold them in place are weak.

So another Siege figure and another time where I'll say... so close to being amazing but dang it, a bit more work of the design and he'd be so much better for it... again it feels that they went "ok, that's good enough, it's going to sell"....so he's in the very nice, great categories, but misses amazing.

I just think that the designers could have done a lot more, with less kibble, and it's amazing to see something this huge that they didn't design to actually carry other figures inside, even if just a few micromasters (cockpit non-withstanding).. that backpack is just so freaking huge.... the first pictures that came out, I hoped that it was as such, a section that big, so square, that it would be a passenger "deck".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04854.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	44269  

Last edited by imfallenangel; 07-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #32
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
We get so many updates that aren't as good as previous versions or...

This Jetfire is clearly the goat

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #33
riderman
Beast Machine

Quote:

First impressions: where the heck am I going to put him... my Siege shelf is way too small for him... argh... if I knew they'd make such large figures I would have planned differently.

But that said... he's big, he's sturdy, great plastic, feels a bit like the type they used for OP (Siege voyager) but a bit softer, which is quite fine, as it offers a bit of flexibility with such a large size.

The good: robot mode, they did a great job and the face shield/mask is something that I am very grateful for as it looks amazing, but I prefer a robot/mech head type than human face. Overall a very nice, even stunning figure.

The bad: while plane mode looks amazing from the top, the undercarriage is so much robot kibble that could have been done better, and hidden more. The leg ratchets are great except for one that' s missing so I feel that in time, lots of these figures may learn to do a split. The arm cannons accessories don't hold all that well, and the hands transformation's pins to hold them in place are weak.

So another Siege figure and another time where I'll say... so close to being amazing but dang it, a bit more work of the design and he'd be so much better for it... again it feels that they went "ok, that's good enough, it's going to sell"....so he's in the very nice, great categories, but misses amazing.

I just think that the designers could have done a lot more, with less kibble, and it's amazing to see something this huge that they didn't design to actually carry other figures inside, even if just a few micromasters (cockpit non-withstanding).. that backpack is just so freaking huge.... the first pictures that came out, I hoped that it was as such, a section that big, so square, that it would be a passenger "deck".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
We get so many updates that aren't as good as previous versions or...

This Jetfire is clearly the goat
Wow! Got it this morning from the Purolator Guy and after all the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY I'm afraid to open him up! I pre-ordered him for so many months and saved all my money for a plastic BRICK! So sad it came out this way because he was supposed to be my Birthday present!!
riderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
Malakhov
Generation 2

What the? This figure is glorious. Man people just love to complain...
Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #35
Collectingtoys
Kid of the 80's

Canada Post says Skyfire is arriving later this morning.

Based on what I have seen in the reviews, the figure does look darn magnificent!
Collectingtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #36
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderman View Post
Wow! Got it this morning from the Purolator Guy and after all the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY I'm afraid to open him up! I pre-ordered him for so many months and saved all my money for a plastic BRICK! So sad it came out this way because he was supposed to be my Birthday present!!
I'd say that he does live up to a lot of the hype, the robot itself is absolutely stunning, the details looks great, he does have a lot pf presence. For the price (especially if you managed to get the 20% sale), he is quite nice. He gets extra points because he is a very solid figure that should hold out for many years and can be actually "played with".

I do state the "bad" so that to provide unbiased perspective about any figure. I'm not saying that it's a bad figure, just that it's not perfect and those flaws that are annoying, could have been avoided.

Note that people tend to avoid the fact that while 100$, even 200$ seems like a lot for a toy, that if you were to go into the Soul of Chogokin, Macross, and many other series, 100-200$ is almost the starting point to the lower end figures. Macross stuff for example is crazy expensive, looks amazing, but are a huge risk to transform as they are very fragile, so are more display pieces. And at the 100-200$ price range, nothing would be close to the size of this guy, and are many of them have their own flaws.

To be honest, I'm looking at all the figures I have in my office right now to see which I'd rate as "perfect" or close to it... and that list is very small.

I rate all my figures by:
  • Quality of plastic
  • Esthetics, including emptiness syndrome (within acceptable limits) and kibble
  • Articulation and quality of joints
  • Accessories (as applicable depending on figure)
  • Scale (but with some flexibility)
  • engineering laziness (where some parts could have been very easily improved)
and there's not a single one that is what I'd consider perfect. Some are close though. Some are very close in either their robot mode or their alts, but not both.

A few example I can give to what I'd consider my "best of", in no order of preference:

Windblade (RiD masked version) - faults: kibble, lack of wrist articulation
Sandstorm (Generations) - faults: hard plastic, some articulation issues
Warpath (Generations) - fault: lack of wrist articulation, lack of accessories
Nitro zeus (movie) - fault: plastic, kibble

All of the Siege line would be in the "best of" but all suffers from various levels of: kibble, lack of wrist articulation, emptyness syndrome, engineering laziness, loose 5mm ports: either connector (hole) is too large or the accessory's peg is too small so they are loose. The weaponizers are a hot mess of being loose, which is ridiculous as they are all about the pegs.

But that said, I still absolutely love my collection, and I just really enjoy all the figures I have regardless of their imperfections.

So for this Jetfire, I will worry about the legs articulation that lacks the rackets as mine has already tried to do the split, the kibble thing is the huge backpack and undercarriage of plane mode, the pegs that holds the hands really could have been better, but all that said, he is a absolutely great looking figure. The face shield adds a "serious" tone to him that takes him beyond the cartoony look that the humanoid face gives him.

So I do not regret getting him even with his flaws... should they (Hasbro) come out with a improved version, then I'll kick myself, but for now and even with his flaws, he is probably the best figure of this size that Hasbro has ever done.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 07-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #37
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
So for this Jetfire...the kibble thing is the huge backpack...
I don't think the backpack counts as "kibble" since that's how Skyfire is supposed to look. I don't think it really counts as kibble if it's supposed to be there.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #38
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
I don't think the backpack counts as "kibble" since that's how Skyfire is supposed to look. I don't think it really counts as kibble if it's supposed to be there.
I have that same issue with those who call Siege Starscream a shellformer. Starscream is supposed to have his wings in robot mode, thats his main look, always. So saying its a shellformer would include his wings as kibble, which is not that they are. They are just as much a part of his robot mode as they are a part of his alt mode.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #39
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
it's amazing to see something this huge that they didn't design to actually carry other figures inside, even if just a few micromasters
There's that:

As for the undercarriage, it has always been part of the design, it's unavoidable.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #40
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
I state it as kibble due to it's size... having a backpack is fine, but this is a beast of a backpack that makes him very top heavy and easily tipped over. Heck that backpack is like 1/3 of the mass of the whole robot.