Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
predahank
Storing is hoarding
Re: Why do I feel so bad? (Price matching)

I think he meant "at the point of purchase"
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
timcrook
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Yeah, I agree most are probably jaded. And FYI their policy and most others from other stores say they only match actual price not percentages. So that 25% off did not apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msol View Post
Why would you try and price match after the sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Wait a minute, you tried to price match something with a sale that was over??
The flyer showed deluxes and showed the actual price for a deluxe, not a percentage. I attempted to PM during the sale, not after. I didn't buy from TRU cause their shelfs were empty at all local locations.

Has anyone here worked as a cashier or customer service at retail? I want the inside info, are managers hard on you if customers PM?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
I didn't buy from TRU cause their shelfs were empty at all local locations.
So, the toys are selling regardless of the price or if they're just repaints it seems... at least on sale.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
The flyer showed deluxes and showed the actual price for a deluxe, not a percentage. I attempted to PM during the sale, not after. I didn't buy from TRU cause their shelfs were empty at all local locations.

Has anyone here worked as a cashier or customer service at retail? I want the inside info, are managers hard on you if customers PM?
No they are not. Cashiers are trained to match only what is in the flyer so as not to be duped as they are many people who will tray and take advantage of it. With all the flyers, online deals, etc. they have to be wary because they are told to. The Customer Service Managers and Assistant or Duty Managers can easily tell them what to do in the case of assortments. The best way is to do it at the cash and if they say anything ask for the CSM or Duty Manager. Once explained to them it can easily be rectified but the best thing to do is have a physical copy of the flyer and bring up the item on your phone if available. They can give you a harder time if you use your phone only because of the PS4 scam that was perpetrated a few years ago when people used their phones only to try and match amazon.ca so Walmart was badly burned for it and will no longer PM Amazon. They never, ever get in trouble from price matching and actual advertised sale item.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #15
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Like I said before these people at wal Mart are uneducated in terms of product they carry.
As DELUXES, voyagers, leaders that are on sale at other places and vice versa.
That show a picture of an item. They focus on that exact item and not know the difference as to the rest of the wave mates. Or classes.

They focus on the pic And even if you try to explain that all DELUXES, voyager ect. Even Hasbro should educate to the sales person of their products they sell for Hasbro. I don't know how many times I've seen Hasbro reps at wal Mart and toys r us they are a toy store and often I find that even toys r us employees don't know what they sell. How can a person get a job there that doesn't know anything about toys especially popular toys. boggles the mind.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post
Like I said before these people at wal Mart are uneducated in terms of product they carry.
That show a picture of an item. They focus on that exact item and not know the difference as to the rest of the wave mates. Or classes.

They focus on the pic And even if you try to explain that all DELUXES, voyager ect. Even Hasbro should educate to the sales person of their products they sell for Hasbro. I don't know how many times I've seen Hasbro reps at wal Mart and toys r us they are a toy store and often I find that even toys r us employees don't know what they sell. How can a person get a job there that doesn't know anything about toys especially popular toys. boggles the mind.
No offense but Walmart had over 800,000 SKU's of various products. Do you expect a cashier to memorize every one and products they carry? How much do you know about thread? What happens when Michael's has a sale and someone price matches that? You think people know the strength or the colour roseberry blue? Be a little realistic with the expectations guys, just because we know Transformers doesn't mean they do. Do them a favour and educate them yourself and maybe by showing them your passion they will remember you and be able to help better the next time your in.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

My experiences with price/ad-matching WalMart figs using TRU deals:

Do it right at the cash - I have done it at the returns/customer service desk, but once or twice the rep will be like "you can just do this at the cash you know"
One time they even thought I was trying to return the item, simply because I approached that desk

I like to pick a cash that's not huge-busy, because they may attempt to dissuade you simply based on "I am too busy for this" mentality

Having a actual copy of the flyer is best, they are much more willing to process when they can see the actual price reduction (if you just try to quote "25% off", it's been countered with "their prices are higher than ours")

In the same vein, showing the item (or similar)'s price on the website works too - on your phone or a printed-out copy, as long as the exact price reduction is shown (as TRU's website does)

They do NOT accept coupons for other companies - ad-matching literally means to "match the item's exact price, that the other company is selling it for", which is why having the exact reduction shown is super important

On the few instances where TRU itself has what I am looking for, buying direct from them is of course better, 'cause then if they have a better sale in the future, you might be able to get some money back:
- I bought my TR Blaster & Soundwave from TRU at particular deals (let's say 25% off), and I kept them both in the box
- I would bring them back if there was a better sale (say, 30-40% off), feigning like I was going to return them to purchase them at the new sale price
- they would just say "alright, so you are just here for a price reduction?" and return the difference back to my credit card
Keeping the figs in their boxes may not be necessary for this to work, I think maybe just the receipt will be enough, I just bring the figs for extra heft to my argument

These are just tips, I have ad-matched a bunch of Titans Return stuff from WalMarts (who have the new figs) using TRU prices (who have the sales)

First couple of times when I didn't have my stuff together, they would refuse me, and it sucks, but don't let it get you down
Hopefully these tips will help you get the discount you are looking for
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

I tried to price match at Walmart once...back when we still had Target they had a flyer out with transformers on sale, but they were sold out..so I went to Walmart which had fully stocked shelves and and inquired about the match..they asked why I just didn't but them over there..I said they were sold out and then they said that if the advertisers store from the flyer was sold out they did not have to match anything because the items were not in stock and therefore the ad was void...I left empty handed.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
joshimus
Metroplex

I always get BS answers when asking about PM at Walmart so I won't bother anymore. I'll buy it at Walmart regular price, get a Raincheck at TRU and when that comes in buy it on sale and return that one to walmart.
Some Walmart examples are:
I've had to explain that the figure is part of the same wave and they would say "well that figure isn't on the flyer".
or
I can't do percentages, only flyer price. So if Tru has 25% off all Tf's, they won't price match anything because there isn't an actual "price" on the flyer to go with.
They have ways around it, so do I.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #20
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Wal-Mart employees just don't want to deal with price matches, bottom line. They handle thousands of transactions and what you're asking for only serves to both take time and money away from the company. You're going to face resistance every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternatorfan View Post

Repeating yourself doesn't make your opinions any less crazy. These people make barely enough to live off of why the FUCK would they bother memorizing every single item that comes through their workplace? At any given time there are literal thousands of products on their floor, and it changes with every week. Why would they push themselves to superhuman levels at twelve bucks an hour, just to satisfy nerds like us? Give me a fucking break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
No offense but Walmart had over 800,000 SKU's of various products. Do you expect a cashier to memorize every one and products they carry? How much do you know about thread? What happens when Michael's has a sale and someone price matches that? You think people know the strength or the colour roseberry blue? Be a little realistic with the expectations guys, just because we know Transformers doesn't mean they do. Do them a favour and educate them yourself and maybe by showing them your passion they will remember you and be able to help better the next time your in.
^
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote