Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: What to do with those Generations Selects boxes?
Toss 'em already you hoarder! Get rid of some of those cats while you're at it! 12 42.86%
SAVE 'EM! THEY'RE LIKE GOLD! THINK OF THE RESALE VALUE! 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
OptimusB38
Optimus B
Re: Saving boxes

Most go nowadays, few select stick around
OptimusB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
cr3d1t
Beast Machine

I keep MP, 3rd Party and upgrade kit boxes. I've previously kept boxes on Voyager/Leaders/Titans on CW/TR/POTP but ran out of room and gave them away to a fellow collector. Before Siege I'd chuck the cardbacks on deluxes to recycling because they get ruined but I've been keeping the Siege boxes. I'll be running out of room again but I've been liking this year's line so much I don't want to throw them away.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Neither choice works. Both are the two extremes and while trying to be "cute", they aren't very proper.

I keep some, for the more expensive/fancy ones.

The other ones I keep some, but also take some apart to keep the art and backing. But for those I toss the plastic holder.

If I had kept them all, I'd probably have a room filled completely with empty boxes.

And the resale value doesn't matters either as I buy to collect and not to resell.
This is pretty much the same as what I do.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I'm not thinking resale value when I keep boxes and whatnot. There are a few factors that play into keeping boxes.

First, when I put stuff away, I like being able to put it back into the original packaging for safe storage. I'm lucky that I'm able to set a side a small room for storing stuff that's not on the self.

Second, a part of me considers the box and kit that comes in the box as part of the figure set itself. It's not vital to the enjoyment of the toy, and I don't need to have it, but a part of me likes to have it.

But with the collection being the size it is, soon, I'm going to start throwing away what can't be flattened down, and that should solve any space issues forever. For deluxe figures, I cut the plastic off and keep the card back and stuff, and every card back going back ten plus years fits into two bankers boxes with room to spare.

I'd imagine I'd be able to do about the same with the voyager and leader boxes.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
joshimus
Metroplex

I save MP boxes for the most part, not the TF07 ones mind you, but G1 reissue, MP and BW MP boxes I keep. I also keep my Hot Toys boxes. Everything else goes to recycle. I also kept the boxes for Ferral Rex Predaking
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
VicRav
Machine War

I normally don't keep card backs either. I don't make a lot of effort to ensure the package and artwork get preserved when a card back is being opened, so after they get torn open there is no desire save them.
VicRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #17
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I ran out of room for all but the most valuable of boxes (in terms of resale should I ever have to do that).

However what I do now is throw out the inner packaging and then fold the box down to flat (along its normal creases). For cards just the card backs are kept. This means my boxes now take up a few big boxes, not rooms. And should I ever change my mind they are pre-flattened for easy recycling.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #18
Nocturn
Previously Dead

MP or other "special" or "high-end" boxes get saved. Regular retail stuff goes straight in the blue bin. Gen Selects falls into the latter.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #19
alternatorfan
g1 baby

I keep some but
I mostly recycle the boxes space is a factor for me
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #20
protoform_ironhide
Commander

The boxes just take up lots of space. No point in keeping them unless you have lots of extra room, but most people eventually throw them away. Also recycle the paper boxes, don't just trash them...
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote