Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker
Re: Best way to sell entire collection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfflineMan View Post
Back in '09 when I didn't know any better, I sold off my entire G1 collection to a dealer in one shot. Found out later he was giving me about 40c-50c on the dollar, but was reasonable given them taking the risk of an internet deal where pictures can't tell the whole story.
Getting 50% of what you'd get selling the stuff yourself is pretty much standard from the dealers. I have a couple local guys I buy from and I've seen what they go through to sell the stuff.

They'll take the good with the bad and make their profit off the easy to sell stuff. Everything else gets blown out in lots to get rid of it quickly. They usually aren't picky about completeness or discolouration as long as they see a profit in the better stuff.

I used to sell at toy shows and always knew what everything my lot was worth at my prices. Once I got sick of selling the stuff myself, I waited for the inevitable "how much for everything" offer. Asked for 60%, good riddance, cash in my pocket.

Got to have some good stuff in there though. Dealers won't touch a lot of crap unless you give it away for a steal.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #12
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
eBay. Pay the 10% but no headaches of offers. Just let it do the work
I find e-bay troublesome since the bigger market are fans in the US but they dont want to pay shipping and shipping transformers aint cheap.

I find Kijiji much easier, especially since the person sees the toy they are purchasing and I dont have to do the hassle of shipping it out. If you have the patience of course. Masterpiece are in demand locally since they are imports or exclusives, so that's what I would do if I were you.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
I find e-bay troublesome since the bigger market are fans in the US but they dont want to pay shipping and shipping transformers aint cheap.

I find Kijiji much easier, especially since the person sees the toy they are purchasing and I dont have to do the hassle of shipping it out. If you have the patience of course. Masterpiece are in demand locally since they are imports or exclusives, so that's what I would do if I were you.
For the right figure they will pay. Kijiji is fine just a lot of lowballing
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #14
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

One bit of advice.

If you are going to sell, be realistic in why you are selling. There are a lot of sellers, especially on here, who have listings. They use titles like "Everything has to go", "Getting out", "getting rid of stuff", "Have to sell" etc.

Then you see they have a laundry list of conditions, unrealistic prices and it doesn't seem like they actually want to sell unless they make a profit. So not really looking to "get out".

So are you really interested in getting out, or are you looking to make money? Because if you really want out then your pricing and expectations should reflect that scenario.

Of course that is not to say you should sell everything for dirt cheap. Just be honest with yourself about why you are selling.

And of course you can always change your mind.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #15
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
What is the best and most efficient way to sell off ones entire collection ? Ebay, Instagram ? TIA
First, you would have to define "best" from your own perspective.

Efficiency could be part of "best". "Best could also mean any or all of: Profitable, less-troublesome, most-secure, most-convenient, etc...

Then, from your question, it's a balance of "best" and "efficient". You may have to sacrifice a bit on one side for the other.

Make a list of what you have. Then mark down what you paid for each (for your own reference), and then check against SOLD prices on e-bay, to see what you might get for them. This will get you into the proverbial ballpark of a fair price at which you might sell your items.

Cybertron.ca is fairly decent. Post what you have, with the price you figured, and you may get a few items sold. Some members may have a few holes in their collection, and are waiting for a decent price, so items you have might help them towards completing things. People here are generally good. You can check the feedback thread for members, if they have one.

Aside from that, kijiji and eBay are a bit of work. I haven't had any real issues with dealing on eBay, but I have not used it in years. And, I haven't sold many Transformers on eBay.

Dealers and Local Gaming Stores are also an option, but, as others have noted, you will take a bit of a hit on how much $$$ you'll get from them.

Best of luck...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
Pascal
Banned

Generally speaking, I'm having more success with local moms through Marketplace than collectors.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #17
steamwhistle
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Generally speaking, I'm having more success with local moms through Marketplace than collectors.
^^^this.

I've done this a number of times.
Easy, local meeting, and typically less quibbling about a few dollars in price.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Sell it all to me for $5 with free shipping. It's that easy. LoL
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
tz101
Machine War

just looking to sell off my collection and hopefully break even lol. i know some stuff has shot up in value ie metro plex devastator and combiner wars but im not really looking to make money just get my basement back lol
tz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #20
imfallenangel
Cybertron

I know the feeling, where once I felt that it should have been easy to sell as proper prices, now, with everything being a "collectable", it's driving prices is such a weird way.

I have a chuck of my collection that I'm going to probably put up for sale, but how to sell isn't easy.

Ebay, involves fees that may ends up feeling like your giving stuff away and shipping is always a pain to deal with.

Most local 'cons put me off as the prices for the rental of a table is nuts.. when once it would be a 10-20$ thing, now it's in the hundreds of dollars... shesss.. that's like giving a huge chunk of my collection away just to try to sell the rest, I can't even guess how people are making any money at them now.

I'll probably do a Kijiji thing, post on my local Facebook groups, possibly on here, and such, once I'm ready.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote