Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Is 3rd Party in Trouble?

Lately, I've been noticing a lot of 3rd Party companies slowing down quite a bit or not releasing anything altogether. Some of the major ones that come to mind are Toyworld, Generation Toy, Maketoys, and DX9.

Toyworld, for example, had two amazing looking MP style Optimus Prime figures that have gone MIA. One was Knight Orion, an MP Last Knight Prime, and the other was Freedom Leader, an MP Bumblebee Prime. These figures were pretty much complete as shown in pictures and videos, but it's been months since anything new has been revealed about them.

The other mentioned companies are barely releasing anything (Generation Toy is releasing their Protectobots, but that's pretty much it).

I wonder if after the whole Zeta-Hasbro thing, if Hasbro (or Takara) has continued to go after other 3P companies (or maybe they even started well before the Zeta situation).

Fantoys, MMC, and X-transbots seem to be doing well, so that pretty goes against everything else I mentioned above.

It's just odd seeing some of the big players not really doing anything much or even at all anymore.

What are your thoughts on this? Maybe it's just a dry spell or paranoia? Maybe it isn't...

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 10-04-2019 at 12:03 AM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: Is 3rd Party in Trouble?

I've also been wondering this.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Check releases per month on robotoybase.com. Still plenty of new releases to me?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Check releases per month on robotoybase.com. Still plenty of new releases to me?
Agreed. I don't think they are in trouble. Maybe certain companies have slowed down but there are many others coming out and filling in gaps
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Dangard Ace
Alternator

From what I hear Toyworld is laying low after brazenly showing off their Bumblebee movie Optimus at the same toy fair as 3A BB Optimus. 3A apparently told Hasbro and Hasbro told Toyworld to knock it off. Same thing that happened to FT's Grinders G1 head. Dx9 is apparently focusing on Legends scale under another name right now. Magic Square or MechFan or something starting with M. I don't collect Legends so don't remember exactly. MakeToys who the hell knows. They keep their cards to their chests but I think their crowdfund Sunstorm and its qc issues may have hit their pocketbook hard. GT no idea, their stuff looked cool but not enough for me to buy.
Dangard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Let's also not forget that the films that really kicked this hobby into high gear have slowed down as well.

This leads to lower sales across the board.

This is why 1/2 of my local TRU's TF section is now fortnite.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Just market cycles. If anything, I think they are becoming better and comparatively way more affordable
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangard Ace View Post
From what I hear Toyworld is laying low after brazenly showing off their Bumblebee movie Optimus at the same toy fair as 3A BB Optimus. 3A apparently told Hasbro and Hasbro told Toyworld to knock it off.
Damn, that sucks. I was really looking forward to that figure. Hopefully it still releases. 3A makes good figures, but they don't transform. Kind of a dick move for them to tell Hasbro even though TW was working on a completely different figure.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Damn, that sucks. I was really looking forward to that figure. Hopefully it still releases. 3A makes good figures, but they don't transform. Kind of a dick move for them to tell Hasbro even though TW was working on a completely different figure.
Except 3A PAID for their copyright infringement.

The dick move is NOT paying for the rights, actually.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Agreed. I don't think they are in trouble. Maybe certain companies have slowed down but there are many others coming out and filling in gaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangard Ace View Post
From what I hear Toyworld is laying low after brazenly showing off their Bumblebee movie Optimus at the same toy fair as 3A BB Optimus. 3A apparently told Hasbro and Hasbro told Toyworld to knock it off. Same thing that happened to FT's Grinders G1 head. Dx9 is apparently focusing on Legends scale under another name right now. Magic Square or MechFan or something starting with M. I don't collect Legends so don't remember exactly. MakeToys who the hell knows. They keep their cards to their chests but I think their crowdfund Sunstorm and its qc issues may have hit their pocketbook hard. GT no idea, their stuff looked cool but not enough for me to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
Let's also not forget that the films that really kicked this hobby into high gear have slowed down as well.

This leads to lower sales across the board.

This is why 1/2 of my local TRU's TF section is now fortnite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Just market cycles. If anything, I think they are becoming better and comparatively way more affordable
I think the change in release rate for certain companies is noticable, especially compared to 1-2 years ago, but I remember a time when 3 months between releases felt fast and overwhelming!

At one point the MP thing was an absolute ARMS RACE in the 3rd party world, EVERYBODY seemed to make some kind of MP and that has definitely slowed compared to before...BUT if you look at it on paper, things are still humming along nicely.

Here are a couple companies that I noticed are releasing very frequently:
-Fan Toys (about the same freqency as the last couple years, there is a thread over on TFW where they are actually counting the release rate and it's impressive)
-New Age Toys (rumors this is a DX9/UT spinoff as others mentioned)...they make kickass legends and they are coming out at an amazing rate
-Magic Square - The release rate seems to come in fits and spurts but if you look over the entire year it's pretty awesome and hard to keep up with. Again, it's legends, so if you aren't into legends, then you may notice the change in rate
-Iron Factory-IMHO they are THE player in legends...they are just awesome, and releasing fairly routinely
-KFC/Transbots -Ok, maybe they don't release everything they tease and it may not be the fastest company, but they DO deliver nice stuff on a regular basis, definitely an important company in 3rd party
-GT is releasing their 'not defensor' albeit a bit slowly
-MMC is definitely still in the game, and releasing at a pretty nice clip in both CHUG and MP-ish (Ocular Max)
-Don't forget Fanshobby...why does everyone forget Fanhobby? They need more fans, lolllzzzz...I think their stuff is fantastic!!!
-And there's still a decent mix of KO-ish stuff which I won't elaborate on...

So overall I'd say:
-Fanstoys, Transbots/KFC, Ocular Max and Fanshobby are still very relevant and releasing routinely for MP
-MMC for CHUG...otherwise CHUG is pretty slow
-Iron Factory/New Age/Magic Square will keep your legends line bright and new

So maybe the issue is less MP and CHUG? That combined with 3rd party getting a couple of shots across their bow makes things FEEL less bright and shiny?
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote