Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
Amandahugnkiss
Beast Machine
Why is the newest version of Omega Supreme so expensive?

He has a $160 price tag when that was probably about three times what he was sold for when he was released as a G1 figure. If he was $50, that would be reasonable; but that's way too much. I wish they'd put out a smaller version for less.
Amandahugnkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: Why is the newest version of Omega Supreme so expensive?

Only marginally more expensive than recent Titan Class figures... 80's prices aren't really relevant, Hasbro will charge as much as they believe they're able. Having Omega as a $50 Leader Class would lead to endless complaints of "he's too small". Especially since Siege Leaders have been MUCH smaller than the TR ones.

Last edited by Nocturn; 10-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
Amandahugnkiss
Beast Machine

I have a leader class Megatron that's a pain in the butt to transform because I'm having a hard time turning him into a truck, and there's nothing small about him.
Amandahugnkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
VicRav
Machine War

Go the third party route and check out MFT Huge Dragon. It is the only way you will hit the $50 US price point.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MFT-MS-DA-MF...abI7IndEVqHTgA

Sold out at this shop, but lots of pics for reference.
https://showzstore.com/mechfanstoys-...eme_p0739.html

If you really want to go small there is this guy for $10 US:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MFT-MS-DA-MF...abI7IndEVqHTgA
https://showzstore.com/pre-order-mec...doc_p1255.html

Last edited by VicRav; 10-15-2019 at 11:14 PM.
VicRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandahugnkiss View Post
He has a $160 price tag when that was probably about three times what he was sold for when he was released as a G1 figure. If he was $50, that would be reasonable; but that's way too much. I wish they'd put out a smaller version for less.
If you've seen me post before, you'll know that I've stated that I really do find the latest waves/series to be way over-inflated in prices, with SS being a great example when you have a wing Megatron selling for 30$ when just couple of years before, the exact same toy with a different paint application and in a box instead of card was selling for 15$.

Siege does make up for the price a bit with the new (and mostly excellent) designs and the plastic being back to Energon era toys quality, though they still suffer from empty sockets and minimal paint, that I've had to crack and go and get 3rd parties parts and do proper painting of the weapons and such.

So this to say that I'm not a Hasbro defender and that I wish they'd lower their prices, considering that I've been able to purchase many very large figures from anywhere from 30$ to around 120$ that are as big or even larger than Omega.

For Omega:

The original was about 12 inch tall, did have a motor for the tank that made him walk.

In 1985, he was being sold for around 40$ US / 50$ CAN , so in today's money that's around 95$ US / 125$ CAN.

BTW, your 160$ must be IN US$, as CAN $ price is 249.9$ CAN.

So in consideration of the difference in size and mass of amount of plastic only, doubling that (which might not even be enough) you actually get the 250$ price tag.

Note that in 1985, Hasbro did NOT create him, he was part of the "we need to buy every transforming toy from any company" in the early days to fill in the ranks of toys as the Diaclones and Microman series weren't numerous enough.

This new version is huge, more than double the height of the original, and much more massive.

He is made of decent enough plastic, softer than the other Titans, and does have lots of features and details. He is very well engineered, not perfect as the tank should have been better so to have a rotating cannon, and one of the wings on mine don't hold that well that I've had to pledge it's connecting tip several times to get it somewhat better, and lastly, the freaking claw shouldn't have been translucent plastic.

So he is very impressive, and overall he really is an amazing addition to a collection as long as you have the space.

So yes, he's not cheap, but none of the Titans have been, BUT comparing him to my Fortress Maximus, or Devastator, or even the Trypticon that broke right out of the box and thus was returned within hours, he's a LOT better than any of these, so the price is easier to swallow, though I did manage to get mine with the 20% sale on pre-order.

That said, there are 3rd parties versions, such as "Huge Dragon" from MFT (the smaller version seen in my picture .... eBay listing for an idea) that is an absolutely amazing version... heck, if that guy would have been oversized to full size, he would actually outdo Hasbro's, but he's also available in 3 colour motif, and he's still at around 70-100$.

You can see the tiny one which is the MS-11 again from MFT, but he's a Diaclone armour suit, and I got mine with an alternative tank for the Huge Dragon (which looks amazing) and the "Doctor", a set that I managed to get for about 30$ CAN. But this is really small... so maybe for the Micromaster...

VicRay right above this post, is giving you other links to these guys.

And note that if you were to lock at the other large 3rd parties Omega, you'd find that the others are all more expensive.

With a few micromasters and Mirage for size comparison

MS-11 and the Doctor, and the new tank/head in Huge dragon (Omega)

MS-11's base/rocket mode (no tank)

Last edited by imfallenangel; 10-17-2019 at 01:13 AM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandahugnkiss View Post
Inflation is a thing you know. $160 US in 2019 is $67 US in 1985. So not that much more expensive.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
RocketGTR
Animated

FYI imfallenangel, none of your images are showing.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
FYI imfallenangel, none of your images are showing.

... argh, I could see them so didn't know... should be fixed now.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
RocketGTR
Animated

Still a no go for me. Maybe I'm the only one? :\
Old 10-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
Still a no go for me. Maybe I'm the only one? :\

I'm using Google images and it's being a pain, I might need to look at another picture upload site.. refresh, I did something else to try to get them to share, as getting the "share" link is garbage.