Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 AM   #31
Chigimus
Masterpiece
Re: I need a new Online store (preferably canadian) Not BBTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scowly Prowl View Post
For TF variety, I second the vote for Mandarake, followed closely by Jungle Japan.
Never used either, had a browse through both tonight. Mandarake seems slow to connect to and difficult to sort through their inventory. Jungle not as much. What are shipping costs like compare to the usual JDM importers like AmiAmi, AE, HLJ, NY, etc.?
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #32
Scowly Prowl
Calculating variables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Never used either, had a browse through both tonight. Mandarake seems slow to connect to and difficult to sort through their inventory. Jungle not as much. What are shipping costs like compare to the usual JDM importers like AmiAmi, AE, HLJ, NY, etc.?
Mandarake is generally slow to initially load, but it picks up once you are connected. The inventory is a beast to wade through - often times, you have to hunt around with the search tool to find what you want. Occasionally, you get hilarity in the translation - for example, go look for Masterpiece Blue Streak...

But... I have been pleasantly surprised when I find what I'm looking for. I picked up a used Scoria for a very nice price. It's the online equivalent of a toy bazaar - you never quite know what you'll find, and there are lots of tasty surprises. Their inventories update at least once a day.

Jungle is about the same, and it's getting more crazy as they connect their stores' inventories to their site. When I started, they had one store's inventory, and now there's at least 6.

As for shipping, I have used EMS since the beginning, and for that reason, it seems the same as HLJ, NY, etc. My understanding is that the rate is the same for the same package size - so if I do something stupid and order a big box, the cost is the same, regardless. (Much like Canada Post domestically, for example.) My costs for EMS shipping from Japan, for roughly the same size and weight of shipment, are predictable. I can't comment on how they do with SAL or DHL/FedEx/UPS.

Mandarake and Jungle both have done fabulous wrapping of my orders, and all have been immaculate when they arrive. The tracking is easy, but again, using EMS.
Scowly Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #33
neevnav
Masterpiece

So oddly enough, I had Scorn, Nitro and Octone arrive from BBTS yesterday, and there was no duty on them, which blew me away, because I've never not had to pay duty on items from them. Goes to show sometimes it's the luck of the draw.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #34
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevnav View Post
So oddly enough, I had Scorn, Nitro and Octone arrive from BBTS yesterday, and there was no duty on them, which blew me away, because I've never not had to pay duty on items from them. Goes to show sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

CBSA does not hit us with duties on every parcel, they tend to hit at random it seems in many cases, but using BBTS moreso as it is a large and well known retailer likely not sending gifts to all of their clients. From my understanding BBTS will not reduce the value on the forms but will mark as gift if requested.

A good number of my BBTS shipments were dinged as well I found, but often they were higher value parcels. CBSA charge at least 10$ extra for the process of taxing the s$*t out of us, so the higher value might make that hurt less, but ive had it done for a parcel that was 80$ as well from another seller. Not all my BBTS stuff was hit with customs though. I also found its more of an issue with parcels from the US.

I found it was really bad when there were issues with govt deficits in the news or in reality but not spoken about in the news as much. As well, around Xmas time I noticed alot more parcels were hit with duties, and even those from overseas that were usually ignored from Japan and Europe got dinged. I had one SAL parcel from Japan get charged once this year, but the rest were fine. Fees for other Canada Post services also went up alot this year, so they need more money it seems.

Trying out Mandarake currently, hope I dont get dinged on that one....

Cheers,
MilanX3
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #35
Scowly Prowl
Calculating variables...

I'm not convinced it is random. I generally assume that the CBSA will apply duty and sales taxes to my packages when they arrive from international sellers, and I factor that into my purchase decision. The duty charges are generally small, especially for simple toys without batteries and electronic components. The taxes that are applied are the same as the equivalent good purchased for the same price locally (that's why the sender has to declare the value of the good on the customs slip). The CBSA charges $10 for the assessment service for any package handled through the mail (EMS, SAL, USPS).

However, compare that to the brokerage fee charged by the courier companies...
Scowly Prowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #36
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
I'm not convinced it is random. I generally assume that the CBSA will apply duty and sales taxes to my packages when they arrive from international sellers, and I factor that into my purchase decision. The duty charges are generally small, especially for simple toys without batteries and electronic components. The taxes that are applied are the same as the equivalent good purchased for the same price locally (that's why the sender has to declare the value of the good on the customs slip). The CBSA charges $10 for the assessment service for any package handled through the mail (EMS, SAL, USPS).

However, compare that to the brokerage fee charged by the courier companies...
True enough. Met many that work at CBSA and with so many parcels and lack of funding in an ebay/amazon era, they will tax items with information, but they do let alot of parcels go without charge. They choose parcels to tax and others not...some they will investigate even with low duty and gift and charge full value, but they do not fully assess/investigate every single parcel, its why sometimes u do not get customs on parcels...some companies are flagged though so more likely to get charged. Problem with volume and limited staff and resources. Its why many postmasters who worked for years with CP cannot always predict what will be charged or even what the consistent regulations will be for many packages. Good luck to everyone, may you avoid the tax fairy a few times this year!

Yes, couriers are hell to deal with...there is a way to get the brokerage fees returned btw, but the govt has closed many easy access offices for this...even the one that used to be in the middle of d/t Toronto.

Last edited by MilanX3; 10-06-2017 at 02:04 AM.
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #37
neevnav
Masterpiece

Quote:
I'm not convinced it is random. I generally assume that the CBSA will apply duty and sales taxes to my packages when they arrive from international sellers, and I factor that into my purchase decision.
It's funny because I did factor that into my purchase price, so this was a nice bonus!