Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #171
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Re: Post your non TF Toy photos

Ah, Saint Seiya.
I know very little of the series, but the designs have always looked cool. Sanada Ryo from Ronin Warriors also looks a bit like Seiya... and he armors up... and he's the main character... Hmmm...

Never owned any of the toys, though; I played with many of the very first releases back in the early '90s when I was in HK for a visit, it was all the rage back then.

Mind you, I'm partially tempted to get the Aquarius and Pisces ones, just because those are the astrological signs for myself and my wife... But I've always loved the designs to Shiryuu and his armors...

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #172
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCh View Post
That last one is gorgeous!
Here's an official pic to do the toy justice link

So, I've known about this stuff for awhile, but never partook until I saw pics of Hades and fell in love. And then in a short amount of time I had 7 of them lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Ah, Saint Seiya.
I know very little of the series, but the designs have always looked cool. Sanada Ryo from Ronin Warriors also looks a bit like Seiya... and he armors up... and he's the main character... Hmmm...
Had the same thought too and did some research, but it turns out they are by different studios. Saint Seiya is done by Toei, and Ronin Warriors by Sunrise. So actually, Ronin Warriors is a knock off of Saint Seiya.

But the idea about a team of young heroes working together gave Sunrise the concept to make Gundam Wing about a team of young heroes working together. And from Gundam Wing came Gundam 00 with the similar concept of young heroes teaming up. (I don't know how completely factual all that is, but I remember reading that when I was looking it all up long ago.)

Quote:
Never owned any of the toys, though; I played with many of the very first releases back in the early '90s when I was in HK for a visit, it was all the rage back then.
Still a thing in HK. Like TF where the HK versions comes with metal coins and whatnot, Saint Seiya comes with metal plates.

Of course still big in Japan. They are remaking the older toys under the Myth Cloth Ex line. And even going the Hot Toys route with 12" figures that cost like $200.

Actually, Saint Seiya started in 1987 and still continues to this day with new shows and movies.

Quote:
Mind you, I'm partially tempted to get the Aquarius and Pisces ones, just because those are the astrological signs for myself and my wife... But I've always loved the designs to Shiryuu and his armors...
Never thought to look up my astrological sign for Saint Seiya.

The only other ones I know about that tempt me are:

Odin's Robe pic

Sagittarius Aioros pic

BTW FreedomGundam, have you ever seen the Ronin Warrior OVAs? They are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible!

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 04-12-2013 at 03:05 AM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #173
Aizen-sama
Generation 1

Those Saint Seiya figs look cool! I'm kinda in the same boat. I haven't really followed the show. Ronin Warriors though definitely! When I was staying in California a while back, they would show the cartoon every afternoon!

Freedom. If you're still looking for the diecast Mark XLII, Marcio has a few that he just put up! I'm tempted but I gotta stick to TDK/R stuff.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #174
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
Had the same thought too and did some research, but it turns out they are by different studios. Saint Seiya is done by Toei, and Ronin Warriors by Sunrise. So actually, Ronin Warriors is a knock off of Saint Seiya.
[...]
Actually, Saint Seiya started in 1987 and still continues to this day with new shows and movies.
Yeah, it's a REALLY long running show. One of my brother's best friends is a huge Saint Seiya fan (he grew up with it like we grew up with TFs), so I'm thinking I may try to grab the series from him one day, and spend months watching it... Hahaha
Quote:
BTW FreedomGundam, have you ever seen the Ronin Warrior OVAs? They are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible!
I have them, but I haven't found the time to watch them. My wife pretty much refuses to, simply because Kayura isn't in them. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizen-sama View Post
Freedom. If you're still looking for the diecast Mark XLII, Marcio has a few that he just put up! I'm tempted but I gotta stick to TDK/R stuff.
Thanks for the heads up, but in the end, I made an order at Urban Samurai Hobbies when they put thiers up on preorder. I haven't had any issue ordering with them before (my Mk.1 and Mk.4+Gantry), and they don't require any money down for the preorder. It does, however, come up to a few dollars more expensive than at SPC, though.

Custom Double-Detolfs:

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Icepick small gun

Last edited by FreedomGundam; 04-12-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #175
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
I have them, but I haven't found the time to watch them. My wife pretty much refuses to, simply because Kayura isn't in them. :P
I want to give you a brief summary of what happens in the Ronin Warriors OVA, and you tell me if it's something you want to watch.

OVA 1: Sage is kidnapped and experimented on by evil scientists.

OVA 2: The armours backstory are retconned in that The Ancient One, Talpa, The Nether Realm, Dark Warlords, etc, never existed. Instead, the armours are made of crystal found in a mine in Africa. There is a Black Inferno armour worn by the leader of the tribe who guards the mine, then teleports to the heroes so he can capture and torture them. The heroes are uncharacteristically weaker than a baby and just take it. And other dumb stuff happens.

OVA 3: The premise of the show is retconned, but more importantly the heroes friendship and comradery are changed into implying that they actually don't like each other, and that they were only friends because it was convenient because of the situation. A wizard appears and captures and kills each one of them, and uncharacteristically the heroes are unable to do anything to fight back, and are desperate to contact Ryo. Mia advises Ryo to do nothing and she goes off to become a politician. The whole time Ryo's been home listening to the desperate calls on his machine of the four, afterwards he faces the wizard to meet the same dumb fate. And other dumb stuff happens.

This is all part of trying to setup a sequel. And it's the same writers of the tv show too.

What do you think?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #176
JTCh
Armada

Got the chicken man in my first minifig blind pack!

Friends...? by Jcee_, on Flickr
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #177
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
I want to give you a brief summary of what happens in the Ronin Warriors OVA, and you tell me if it's something you want to watch.

OVA 2: The armours backstory are retconned in that The Ancient One, Talpa, The Nether Realm, Dark Warlords, etc, never existed. Instead, the armours are made of crystal found in a mine in Africa. There is a Black Inferno armour worn by the leader of the tribe who guards the mine, then teleports to the heroes so he can capture and torture them. The heroes are uncharacteristically weaker than a baby and just take it. And other dumb stuff happens.

OVA 3: The premise of the show is retconned, but more importantly the heroes friendship and comradery are changed into implying that they actually don't like each other, and that they were only friends because it was convenient because of the situation. A wizard appears and captures and kills each one of them, and uncharacteristically the heroes are unable to do anything to fight back, and are desperate to contact Ryo. Mia advises Ryo to do nothing and she goes off to become a politician. The whole time Ryo's been home listening to the desperate calls on his machine of the four, afterwards he faces the wizard to meet the same dumb fate. And other dumb stuff happens.

This is all part of trying to setup a sequel. And it's the same writers of the tv show too.

What do you think?
I know nothing about this series, but just reading your description was enough to cause me to experience fan rage.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #178
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:

What do you think?
Holy crap. I knew I heard the OAVs were crap, but your summary just cements it. I'll still with my TV series story then. You can't beat having the Warlord and all.

Not surprisingly, I paraphrased your summary to my wife, and she basically said: "Yeeeeap. That settles it. I'm never watching those OAVs."

Custom Double-Detolfs:

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Icepick small gun
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #179
SeanOfStone
Generation 1

I received another package from Blizzard...

...and it was epic, again. I'm really loving that mouse!!!

I also Picked up a Halo Mega Bloks Jungle strike Cyclops!!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #180
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Yeah I'm quite digging these Metal Builds.