Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #41
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: Is it time to stop glorifying the brand and focus on the designer?

The first to my knowledge and it is a very new sister comoany to MMC
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #42
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
And yes, devaluing artistry is what's wrong with the world. Among other things, but this isn't about irrelevant things. It's about treating artists to the acknowledgement they deserve.
Ok fine you want to go this route. An artist doesn't do art for the sake of having their name in lights. An artist does art for the sake of art. When an artist puts their name ahead of the art itself, it takes away from what's important, the art. Art should stand on it's own, outside of a brand name, even if that brand name is the artist's.

There are some who say art has no value to society unless it is experienced by others, and the more people who experience and appreciate it, the more value it brings to the greater whole. And in this instance, if you want to call a Transformer art, the only way to bring this art to the greater masses with significant numbers is to work with larger companies.

And an artist wouldn't care if their name gets out there because they know that people have been touched by their art.

Quote:
Why you jump on my topics all the time bro?
I don't jump on your topics. I jump on your hyperbole. You exaggerate things that don't deserve to be exaggerated to the point of drama, especailly when people disagree with you.

Quote:
So is advocating artists as worthless a lesson in humility?
I'm not advocating artists as worthless. See this is what you always do, exaggerate. I'm against elevating artist and art into the mythical realm. Artists are not wizards who have discovered the secret of tapping into the collective unconscious to birth art. They have a skill like any other person, like a mechanic or a carpenter.

Do mechanics sign your car after they repair it? Do carpenters sign your house?

Most artists are unknown and do their art in background, unseen, and if they're very lucky, they make a living at it. And if given a choice between their name in lights or getting a steady pay check for doing what they love, they'd choose the later.

You advocate for artist, but do they want you advocating for them? Do they really need it?

If someone said to you there's this job. It pays well. You'd get to do what you love and people around the world will get to enjoy and appreciate the fruits of your labor, but the catch is almost nobody will know that you do this job, do you think that's a good deal?

I'd say yes, because many people do jobs that pay crappy, that they hate, that have results that people don't appreciate, and that they get zero recognition for.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 11-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #43
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
Do you actually own the all mighty Crapollyon ? A lot of people praise it but to be honest it is a floppy mess with alot of loose tabs in bot mode and it is so finicky to pose. But the 3rd party does not label the designers on the box either so why is that your defense ?
Mine is nice and tight. Just sayin.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #44
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

If this is about Master Hasui, then this would have backfired when CW Devastator, which the Real True Collectors (TM) hate, had "Designed by Hasui" on the box.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #45
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Mine is nice and tight. Just sayin.
what about the leg panels that don't clip in that form the trigger, or the hips always popping out of place mine was decent with the arms and cannon but the rest just made me sick of it.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #46
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Designers and artists aren't the same.
I think you just like to offer an opposite view to anything I bring up.
I think if you met the guy you would be on your knees praising him as an artist lol. Goodnight
Not the same at all. Artists are emotional and do random, one-off, original creations. Like an original painting, sculpture, a song, an unscripted dialogue/scene in a movie that works. It's about expression at the moment. It doesn't work the second time.

Designers are quite the opposites. Designers are more or less engineers. They have to understand what they are doing because they are designing products to be mass produced repeatedly, and to be used by people repeatedly. Designer works are scientific, mathematical and precise. They can not do random one off things.

A guy who uses Lego to built a giant pink banana is an artist. The guys who work at Lego are designers. Lego does not name their product designers either. You only find out who designed a particular lego set because you can watch video on Lego's website where the designers talk about their works.

Also you should really go read interview with Hasui. He doesn't talk about himself. He talks about his work and process. And no, no rational and sane person will be on his/ her knees praising him. Not even Jesus wants people on their knees praise him. Jesus didn't talk about himself. But who keeps throwing the Jesus name out? His fan boys who never met him.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 11-27-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #47
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

This question is as crazy as having a chef sign your dinner.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #48
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
If this is about Master Hasui, then this would have backfired when CW Devastator, which the Real True Collectors (TM) hate, had "Designed by Hasui" on the box.
Yah, I'd rather rather not know. It wouldn't influence my spending pattern anyways. When I found out he was pulled to design AOE stuff I cringed at the thought. TMI. Not even a AOE toy designed by Hasui would convince me to purchase one.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #49
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

So I haven't seen this side of the discussion: What about toys that are taken from designs from the comics?
Would it help, or hurt, for example if Don Figuroa's name was written somewhere on the package for any War Within Prime?

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #50
tusko
Classic

I like the idea. I would like to follow designers.
I follow comic books for the writers.
I eat at restaurants for the chefs.
I follow movies based on the directors.