Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno
Re: Do you think Quebec's language law is too restrictive

I wouldn't want the European packaging though - it isn't as good.

I've seen pics - instead of awesome boxart they put pics of the toys.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Autovolt 127
Animated

I only live not to far from the Ottawa River,i feel lucky on this side.

Tri-Lugaull should make it to Quebec.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Spacemonkey
Energon

I think hasbro don't really like making One pakaging especially for canada (because of quebec and I don't think the law will change) and it's why I think Hasbro could use unique pakaging for all North America instead off two as they do actually( one all english and one trilingual) similar to europe where they use +/- 8 language. It could give us in Quebec more possibility to have certain exclusives in store (i.e. toysrus, walmart, costco for example), However last two costco exclusives (RID prime/magnus and CYB prime/wing saber) were available here in Quebec in trilingual pakaging).
Old 08-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #14
Protoman
The Legend

Don't even get me started. Being of half french, I still can't stand the bullshit we have to go through. Titanium's packaging was ruined due to our laws, we never got some figures due to having english only voices (RID Primal for one), it's why we sometimes just flat out don't get figures at all. If Hasbro feels they don't need to do a tri-packing design, said figure does not come here. Which is why we don't get reissues and other obscurities (like Heroes of Cybertron). TRU Brossard carried reissues at one point (due to their manager ordering a case originally for himself to get a Jazz/Bluestreak and to sell the rest in the store but got busted badly for it.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Spacemonkey
Energon

Some seeissues was available at Toysrus Near Place Fleur de Lys (quebec). I remember grapple, skid, smokescreen and maby some others. They keep them for many months (without re stocking). But one they after a seasonal reconfiguration the last four (grapple and skids two of each i think) completely disapeared just when i would like pick at least one. Now I understand why they disapear, i'm very surprise they carried them for so long and the 20th prime too. We're lucky I think.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #16
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Titanium's packaging was ruined due to our laws, we never got some figures due to having english only voices (RID Primal for one)it.
I'm 99% certain that I held RID Primal in my hands at the time of release at my local TRU in Sherbrooke.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #17
Aernaroth
Metroplex

And if you guys were francophones, I bet someone would be complaining about how there's not enough french packaging or products.

Its Quebec, french is the traditional language, and lets face it, the government is going to work as a reflection of that.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeff View Post
Yes, trilingual packaging would definately solve all of these issues. I Never really got a full understanding of the fine print on the laws out there so I should probably keep my pie hole shut. I seem to remember hearing that on store front sineage the French had to be the dominant print and English could be no more than 20% the size of the French. Is that true?
Quebec's official language is french. And signs have to be in the official langauge (IE french). At least for government stuff. But I think the law was specifically extended to private buisnesses.

Ironic that in a nation that's officially billingual only one province is also officially billingual. New Brunswick.

I guess that Hasbro decided that shrink wrapping french instructions to the outside of toy packages wouldn't be profitable enough. Video game companies do it. Problem is it's for the whole market. When I bought KOTOR for the Xbox it had a B/W french manual shrink wrapped to the outside.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
And if you guys were francophones, I bet someone would be complaining about how there's not enough french packaging or products.

Its Quebec, french is the traditional language, and lets face it, the government is going to work as a reflection of that.

Thats a bit harsh isn't it? I havn't seen a single person say french shouldn't be on the package. I don't mind having french on my toy packages. I think the point is that Hasbro is dropping the ball on this, not the goverment. The USA is probably as multi-lingual as we are if not more, they teach a lot of Spanish in school. I think this is about a big billion dollar corporation sticking it to some of their customers when it would be easy for them not to. It's not like Quebec is saying that toy packages have to be only in french, but that french has to be included. I'm sure Mexico feels the same way about spanish and they probably miss out on things as well because Hasbro wont make everything for North America Tri-Logo.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
Protoman
The Legend

Aside from the giggles I use to get from the "french versions" of the G1 names (Which does not exist anymore) I would perfer NO french, it's a waste of space that could be used for tech specs, more art or anything better.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote