Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 10-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #21
Marcotron
Robot Master
Re: Toys R Us Canada Announces all Collector Items Products as FINAL SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Man, I remember the good ol days, my peak TRU experience HAD to be, getting all four CW limbs from the StLaurent TRU during a sale, all four were 8 bucks each (pre-tax)

*sighs wistfully*
I remember the day when I got CW Bruticus. Onslaught, and all 4 limbs for $55 total. All on sale.

But on the topic here, it is very rare that I would ever have to return a Transformer. It has happened once, Siege Ultra Magnus, was such garbage that the manager agreed with me that it had to be defective.
Long ago, I remember getting Generations Sandstorm, getting it home, opening it, and finding it was missing a fender, that went back the next day for another one.

If I ever bought something that didn't have a window to see the product, and it was defective, missing something, or had the wrong toy inside the box, I will be yelling and
screaming till they took it back. Especially at these exorbitantly inflated prices. If you have a receipt, this rule must be illegal. Someone needs to check consumer laws and regulations.

I will be shopping at Walmart for my rare Transformers purchases. At least they follow the MSRP.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
joedick
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
yeah, but they arent now, so I don't really get the point of this discussion. Scalping is no longer a thing for non exclusives at TRU. And I am starting to doubt it even being a thing with exclusives now too. Don't see anyone selling Buzzworthy terrorsaur or cybertron Bumblebee on local marketplaces at twice the TRU markup.
Just a few months ago I watched someone put all the new Masterverse figures in their cart, at least a dozen figures. A few weeks later the shelves were stocked again, I assume from returns. In the meantime, TRU probably based their next orders on those figures selling out.

Sure, it's tougher for scalpers to sell those with the inflated TRU prices, but as others have mentioned, there's no risk in them trying.

I'm not defending TRU though. At the end of the day this is bad for us consumers. It doesn't have to be one or the other, TRU and scalpers can both suck

Last edited by joedick; 10-12-2022 at 01:38 PM.
joedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #23
Suicide King
Generation 1

The marked up prices were already hard to swallow, this basically seals the deal for me. I'm done with shopping at TRU
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
neevnav
Masterpiece

If scalping really is the reason, then shortening the return window to say 10 days would alleviate most of that.

Also I'm surprised they are stopping exchanges, especially if the product is truly defective and you can show that.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #25
Solauren
Generation 1

Unless Toys'R'Us Canada gets deals with companies to get more 'exclusive collector' items, OR Hasbro switches to a non-blind policy, this is going to hurt them.

Even getting more 'exclusives' might hurt them. People may say 'fuck em', and wait for TRU to put them on sale.

I get most of my stuff via ToySnowMan now anyway (except exclusives), and alot of the times, exclusive stuff shows up on HasbroPulse.

Will I still shop at TRU for exclusives? We'll see.
Solauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:39 PM   #26
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
I remember the day when I got CW Bruticus. Onslaught, and all 4 limbs for $55 total. All on sale.

But on the topic here, it is very rare that I would ever have to return a Transformer. It has happened once, Siege Ultra Magnus, was such garbage that the manager agreed with me that it had to be defective.
Long ago, I remember getting Generations Sandstorm, getting it home, opening it, and finding it was missing a fender, that went back the next day for another one.

If I ever bought something that didn't have a window to see the product, and it was defective, missing something, or had the wrong toy inside the box, I will be yelling and
screaming till they took it back. Especially at these exorbitantly inflated prices. If you have a receipt, this rule must be illegal. Someone needs to check consumer laws and regulations.

I will be shopping at Walmart for my rare Transformers purchases. At least they follow the MSRP.
It might be the case where Visa could possibly help if the product sold is quite defective or the wrong item, as you do have some degree of consumer protection via their Resolutions Department. If you are just trying to get the same item, same condition, new, but with slightly better mint condition, that will likely be a bit of an issue.

With the high costs at TRU and this policy that differs from almost all other retailers worldwide, they are accelerating their demise. I think they tried 2-3 yrs ago to put each product with its own SKU, and it failed, so they decided to piss everyone off at the same time while raising prices...

And what do they consider Collector items? I assume this only applies to certain product lines, likely not baby stuff no books. This will depend alot on the store managers. Its too bad as some of the staff are very nice and are great for their company, hope they dont lose out in the end.
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #27
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transbot90210 View Post
One more nail in the coffin.

I don't see TRU making it past 2023. We are witnessing the slow death of a toy empire.
At this point, the coffin is mostly nails with a touch of coffin in for flavour...
Old 10-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #28
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevnav View Post
If scalping really is the reason, then shortening the return window to say 10 days would alleviate most of that.

Also I'm surprised they are stopping exchanges, especially if the product is truly defective and you can show that.
They could also max out at 2 or 3 of the same figure like Hasbro Pulse does with their exclusives. This would also mean having each item with their own SKU, rather then the whole lot with the same SKU.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #29
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
Man, I remember the good ol days, my peak TRU experience HAD to be, getting all four CW limbs from the StLaurent TRU during a sale, all four were 8 bucks each (pre-tax)

*sighs wistfully*

Matrix, that's amaze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
But on the topic here, it is very rare that I would ever have to return a Transformer.
Me too. TRU prolly knows most complaints are kids breaking toys, so no return there.

I have no problem returning an item that is missing parts, and I find that is rare.
But I guess picky collectors have abused the return policy, leading to this.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #30
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevnav View Post

Good idea for the 1st.

Maybe they're changing the rule to avoid common abuse. But are willing to return on true defects, as a case of.
"We'll make an exception."

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote