Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #1
Aras
Generation 1
Nintendo's Amiibo Figures Thread

As some of you may be aware, Nintendo has released their new Amiibo line of figures. In essence, they are like Skylanders or Disney Infinity figures except they have characters from Nintendo games. You've probably already seen them too if you go Hunting enough. Marios, Pikachus, Links and Samuses by the dozens likely.

I'm not looking for those though.

As we all know, sometimes assortments are set up to reflect the expected popularity of a figure. This is the same for the Amiibos, TO AN EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING DEGREE. The Amiibos of characters from the games that are not the heavy hitters for Nintendo, ie anything not slightly related to Mario, Legend of Zelda or Pokemon, have been shipping in extremely limited numbers, most likely because Nintendo is pretty sure more kids know about Mario than Marth (reports from store employees have even said that the most recent shipment of three figures was a flood of Zelda with LITERALLY ONLY ONE Little Mac and Diddy Kong figure each). While I'm not collecting all of them, the ones I want are these types of characters unfortunately. I have not been able to find a single one. These rare figrues are (of course) now going for RIDICULOUS prices on ebay (standard retail price CAD: $13.99, average eBay price: $90!). I'm sure there are some of us looking for these things and even more that wouldn't mind helping by taking a minute to look around. I'm sure we can do something to help those among us who care about these (admitedly dumb) things.

I am personally looking for the following figures
Marth
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
And I will be adding Captain Falcon and Pit in the coming weeks (rumoured release will be on Dec. 30th).

And because it might be convenient, here is a full list of figures released or announced thus far, organized by wave, with expected release date and special notes as to rarity. Any figure without note is common.

Wave 1 (November 21)
Donkey Kong
Fox (Noted as slitghly rarer, but not extremely)
Kirby
Link
Mario
Marth (Rare)
Peach
Pikachu
Samus
Villager (Rare)
Wii Fit Trainer (Rare)
Yoshi

Wave 2 (Early December)
Diddy Kong (Rare)
Little Mac (Rare)
Zelda

The following are future waves, and until release, rarity is unknown. The following is what will be the most likely output given previous waves and the popularity of characters' respective games.

Wave 2.5
(Late December)
Captain Falcon (Likely Rare)
Luigi (Likely common)
Pit (Likely Rare)

With the 3rd wave, retailer exclusives are added to the mix and shenanigans are already reported afoot. See annotations below for current info where applicable. It is also unknown if this wave will be divided up like the previous one was (which came as a surprise to everyone, retailers included)

Wave 3
(February 2015)
Bowser (Likely Common)
Ike (Likely Rare)
King Dedede (Unknown)
Megaman (Unknown)*
Lucario (TRU Exclusive, Likely Rare)**
Meta Knight (Best Buy Exclusive, Likely Rare)***
Rosalina & Luma (Target Exclusive, Likely Rare)
Sheik (Unknown)
Sonic (Unknown)
Shulk (Gamestop/EB Games Exclusive, Likely Rare)****
Toon Link (Likely Common)

*Mega Man is not an exclusive, and while a popular character, he hasn't seen a major game release in a long time, so he could easily end up rare if that is how Nintendo chooses to select rarity)

**There have been reports of a massive preorder cancellation for all Amiibo figures at the U.S. Toysrus site, but they have apparently become available again. Unsure
at this point.

***Rumour spread that stores will only receive stock of Meta Knight to match preorders of the figure, with no additional release forthcoming and apparently no further preorders allowed already. Again, I am unsure.

****If you ever heard about the Gamestop Xenoblade Chronicles Fiasco, where the company sold brand new copies of this Gamestop Exclusive game as "Pre-Owned" so they could jack the price of individual copies from $60 to over $100 (this actually happened!), rumours have spread that there will be a repeat performance with the figure of the games main protagonist. Any copy of this figure that has not been preordered will be labelled as "Pre-Owned" so they can be sold for eBay prices. They do sell used Skylanders figures, but I personally do not believe this rumour to be true, especially not when it is so closely related to the last time they pulled this bull. But Gamestop has pulled stupid things before...
Aras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions
Re: Nintendo's Amiibo Figures Thread

I don't have a Wii U yet and I'm collecting all I can. These figures are so beautifully detailed I'm kind of shocked that the big N put so much effort into such little things.
I've got Mario, Link and Zelda and got the GF Kirby for Christmas. I'm hoping for Samus and Fox under the tree.

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

These little figures are such cash cows for Game companies. I bet you wait long enough, supply will meet demand.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
CyberMnky
Animated

There's a few I would like, but not at $14-16 a pop. If I see them on sale I will grab a Samus, Fox, and a few others but not going out of my way or budget and won't be heart broken if I don't get them.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
There's a few I would like, but not at $14-16 a pop. If I see them on sale I will grab a Samus, Fox, and a few others but not going out of my way or budget and won't be heart broken if I don't get them.
That's the USD price, they're $25 CAD.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
That's the USD price, they're $25 CAD.
They are $13.99 CAD at retail.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Is Diddy Kong still rare? I see 18.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	26872  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I had bought a Falcon and Zelda right before X'mas, but I returned them late last week because as cool as it is to own the figures to my two mains in Smash Bros, I have other (pricier) toys that are higher priority.

Falcon looks REALLY good, though. Zelda was alright; not bad but not great. The main problem I find with realistic-human-proportion-characters in Amiibo form is that their heads are a bit long (vertically), and their eyes are generally too close together. Since Falcon wears a helmet/mask, this doesn't apply to him, so he looks amazing.

Anyhow, the dude at the counter (EBGames) said to me when I returned them: "You're gonna make someone else eally happy; we've had a lot of people looking for Captain Falcon."

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

You returned Falcon? Wow.....
Old 01-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Wheelwave
Cybertron

I can't preorder a Meta Knight at Best Buy. They told me to come in release date and get it. Who knows how crazy it will be to get one.
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote