Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
RageD
Energon
Re: Tips and Tricks for First time TFCon Attendees

What Chans Former Said.

Shower. There is no excuse for not showering each day, it takes 5 minutes. There are some ripe folks at TFCON, don't be one of them. And don't cover yourself in cologne or body spray, a little goes a long way.

Be respectful of people and especially kids. Don't push kids out of the way so you can get to a toy. Your an adult, act like one.

Don't play with your toys in the panel room, it's disrespectful to everyone, including the guests.

Respect Peoples space. Don't breath down peoples necks in the dealer room. If your carrying a backpack, be aware that your turn radius has increased and account for that so your not hitting people with it.

And Bring Money. Lots of Money.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

also make sure that you have somewhere to store big items as it gets hard to move around the small areas with big boxes and bags
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I would endorse what everyone else above has said, plus the following points:

Research prices in advance, make up a list of what you want, prices you're willing to pay (max) and prices you'd reasonably expect to pay.

Having that knowledge in advance will minimize you wandering around the room looking for "better deals" and will let you make a better snap decision about whether or not to buy that thing you see.

Also, if you do know people from the boards who you have talked to, or meet some people at TFCon, tell them what you're looking for. Maybe they spotted it somewhere that you missed, and maybe it's still there!

Bring your own bags - don't rely on dealers to have them. Some do, but some might not. Also if you're going to be picking up a lot of stuff, consider leaving your friend with some of the bags outside, while you keep shopping inside, rather than squeezing through crowds with your boxes - it'll save your boxes from dents, and your fellow TFCon attendees from bruises!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
Nullray
IGC

Few dealers offer greater discounts if you purchase more than one item from them. So if you have a list of things you want then ask them if they will do that for you. I know I do that for people. Can't speak for everyone though.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonprime View Post
This is the part I'm having the most trouble with.

I have had some tell me not to buy it the first place I find it at a good or acceptable price as a few tables over will have it for an even better price.

But their no way to know if that is the case and seems like a tremendous risk to leave it behind on the chance I find it again at all much less at a better price. But my budget is altogether small enough that spending even $10 more isn't an option. I don't have enough for everything I want. But I don't expect to find everything on my list at an acceptable price and its very hard to prioritize any one item over all others
You can probably risk it unless the figure you're looking at is super rare or a hot, highly desirable figure. I find that there's an abundance of most modern figures; It's just a matter of finding it for a price that you're comfortable with. I've made the mistake of not buying right away but it was for something that was released over 25 years ago.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Rev
Addict

Any tips if you are just going down for a few hours on the Saturday? I'm not sure I'm into the panels and autographs and all that. Not something I've really done before and I don't normally frequent cons of any kind. Maybe I'd like it, but I never have tried. I went to a TFcon years ago and remember it was mostly just a room with plastic tables and people selling stuff. Is that really the main attraction?
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron75 View Post
You can probably risk it unless the figure you're looking at is super rare or a hot, highly desirable figure. I find that there's an abundance of most modern figures; It's just a matter of finding it for a price that you're comfortable with. I've made the mistake of not buying right away but it was for something that was released over 25 years ago.
I'm not certain how desirable the stuff on my list is. I only know I want it. I suspect that some are not in particularly high demand, which isn't to say they will be available.

I am very cool with loose for most of it and open with package for any MP, imports or 3rd party (they are by and large the only figures I keep packaging for to start with).

99% of all toy purchases I've made over the years have been current in package figures at MSRP found at local retail or online with the odd current import from BBTS.

The only time I've obtained older figures has mostly been loose figures from a local comic shop that seems to have no idea what the figures in their loose case are actually worth. And the odd trade with other local collectors. Both of which have lead to me being certain I got the better end of the deal.

I am well aware that 5.99 for a Deluxe Universe Hound (minus Ravage) and 9.99 for a TM2 Cybershark (minus missiles) are really good deals for these complete enough figures. Or that trading a current Voyager in box for a pair of in package deluxes released 3 years earlier is a very good trade. The problem is that since these are the scenarios in which I've been able to obtain older figures I have to admit I have sort of grown used to deals that good. This leaves me very ill equipped I think to really have any idea what the figures I am looking for are actually worth

What I really could use is some advice from those with more experience buying older figures at what prices one can expect to find for the items on my list in loose or open package condition. This is my list.

Classics - Mirage
Universe - Sideswipe
Universe - Sunstreaker
Universe/Henkei! - Cyclonus (purple colour)
Reveal the Shield - Windcharger
Reveal the Shield - Perceptor
Generations - Scourge
Arms Micron - AM-12 War Breakdown
Alternity - Convoy (Vibrant Red)
MP-12 - Sideswipe/Lambor (okay with KO if cheap enough)
FansProject Function X-1: Code

Maybe this way I can avoid some sticker shock at the Con and better make assessments on whether I am seeing a good deal.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Any tips if you are just going down for a few hours on the Saturday? I'm not sure I'm into the panels and autographs and all that. Not something I've really done before and I don't normally frequent cons of any kind. Maybe I'd like it, but I never have tried. I went to a TFcon years ago and remember it was mostly just a room with plastic tables and people selling stuff. Is that really the main attraction?
Try stopping in for a panel if you think the topic might interest you. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #19
Marcotron
Robot Master

Classics mirage is a tough find. And it will likely set you back at least 50 to 70 bucks depending if you find one in a box or not. Universe sunstreaker and sideswipe are likely just as hard to find but may be a little cheaper.
I'm also waiting for the lambo MPs to hopefully go down in price or find a deal.
My advice is bring a couple of grocery bags. There's always things to buy that aren't on your list.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

have you posted in the "Wanted section"?
I often post there the list of what Im looking for and my fellow board members e-mail me and let me know if they have the figure for sale.

Just say that you can meet and pay them at TFcon...
Lots of dealers use these boards as well, so they can tell you if they have those figs, as well as just other collectors who may have those figures but have grown tired of them, and want to get rid of them to move onto other things

best of luck
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote