Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Echotransformer's Review-a-thon part 2: Crazy Devy CDMW-24 for G1 Omega Supreme

There are those out there that say "Nothing is wrong with any of my Geewuns" and there are those that say "Mang, that looks goofy" and there are those that say "wow, I didn't realize that looked so strange until I added a Crazydevy kit".

The CDMW-24 is one such kit.

Here's a Encore Omega with Crazy Devy's signature 'minimalist' packaging.

Okay, what's the deal here? On first inspection, these parts look virtually identical to the Takara Tomy parts...why ship 4 more? Just to mold more plastic and justify the potent $35 price? (CD parts in blue)

So I tried it...I tried to assemble it with the Takara Tomy bits....A-HA...they don't work! They are the wrong width.

This picture really explains the difference CrazyDevy engineered...(outlined in blue)

The feet parts are interesting, they prevent the feet from falling out when Omega walks...these make sense...

Okay, let's snap this guy together and get him-a-walking...

Um, he won't walk well with the wing extensions on...there's too much weight cantilevering him as he rocks, and this causes the tracks to snap back into his body.

Okay, so 'small wings' it is (the big ones look ridiculous anyway)

And here's Omega with Devastator.

He looks great. Simply put, the old way looks silly...I can't go back. This is a great mod that is WAY overpriced. I like it, but the value quotient is dodgey. Only for the hardcore collectors.

He won't walk properly with full wings, but walks well with small wings. He looks great, parts fit well, and color match is good.

The choice is up to you...
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Echotransformer's Review-a-thon part 2: Crazy Devy CDMW-24 for G1 Omega Supreme

Looks better... So the walking feature is intact, right? What about the base mode? It works with the new parts?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
purplearms
Generation 1
Re: Echotransformer's Review-a-thon part 2: Crazy Devy CDMW-24 for G1 Omega Supreme

thanks for the review.. look forward to seeing assembly pics! =D

having trouble figuring out how the feet work in the shin pieces.. looks like its supposed to float in there, but doesnt seem to fit so nicely.. is there any weight on the toes at all, or is that part purely decorative?
purplearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Finally got around to taking some additional pics to answer those questions...

Pascal:
Nope, you can't use the CD (Crazydevy) parts in tank / base / rocket mode. Pretty disappointing, really.

The reason is the gap on the legs is too narrow to trap the lighter beige tracks in place. I think the narrow width is to make the connection to the extended tank treads sturdy enough so he can walk.

Here's a pic of the beige track trying to be fit into the CD extension:

And here's a pic showing the difference in gap between the CD extension and the standard Omega part (sorry it's blurry)

Purplearms:

Here's some additional tips on how to assemble the feet. Basically you attach the CD bracket to the top of the foot and 'trap' the foot between the halves so the tab (red arrow) it wont fall out of the bottom edge. (green highlights)

Here's a picture of the CD bracket 'trapped' without the foot attached.

Hope this helps, guys!

Cheers,

Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote