Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
ohnaji
Beasty
For potential buyers of Movie DLX Arcee

Bought this figure yesterday, and have been trying to discover some of its nuances on and off since then. Here are some things to consider.
The alt mode is slightly on a larger scale when compared to the other DLXs. This makes sense, otherwise this figure would be extremely tiny. The robot mode is surprisingly tall, standing head to head with 08 BB.
The transformation process is fairly straightforward with the exception of the rear wheel sequence. The wheel separates at its center point. The two parts are joined by a shallow inner peg. The problem is there isn't anyway to discern which way the tire splits. It may be better to try to do the separation by trying to split it at the inner rim. I usually end up just powering apart the plastic brackets it's attached too. It seems a bit violent, just be aware of how much force is applied, otherwise the bracket may snap.
Because of the way the back wheel ends up, the two pieces tend to spin. Folding in the pieces over the upper arms helps it from not doing so, but it limits forearm articulation.
Another point of interest is the chest plate. It folds out to allow the head to form but the locking mechanism when folding it back in is so delicate it seems as if it'll fly off with any sort of handling. It's not a problem right now, but it may arise down the road.
Concerning the crossbow weapon. The instructions doesn't mention this, but there is a square hole on the bottom of it that attaches to a square peg on the left arm. Previously I attached it via the circular pegs used when its in vehicle mode. It doesn't look bad this way but it puts more weight on that arm causing it to droop.
When it comes to aesthetics, it's not bad. It has a decent looking alt. mode and the robot mode definitely has female design flourishes. The front end of the vehicles folds in to the back and forms something resembling a thorax very much like Beast Machine Black Arrachnia. Maybe its an hommage to that character. I would've preferred it if that piece detached and formed a secondary weapon, but still I don't feel it's distracting.
Overall, it's a great little figure, considering it has no context. It echoes the design philosophy set with other movie designs so it's a great companion piece to 08 BB. I wasn't blown away, but I'm content with my purchase.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior
Re: For potential buyers of Movie DLX Arcee

I just got it today (couldn't find BB), haven't opened it yet.

Supposedly Arcee was going to be in the movie until Spielburg made Bay cut down on the number of TFs to put in it from 8-9 a side to 5-6. I wonder what she was going to look like, perhaps a motorcycle?
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
ohnaji
Beasty

Some concept designs shown at Botcon did indeed show Arcee was planned for the movie. It was probably due to scale issues that she didn't make it into the film (she was going to be a motorcycle). The design itself is interesting and I'm hoping the producers can find something interesting for this character for the sequel. Maybe she'll be on the DVD prequel.
Hey Paradigm, when you open the figure, please let me know if you find an easier way to split the back wheel. Good luck in your quest for BB. Got mine Saturday at Erin Mills. I wouldn't be surprised if more stock shows up soon.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Benzo
Plastic Crack Addict

this is what Arcee would have looked like if she was in the movie.

Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Nyghtwynd
Robot in Disguise

Is the red dude Ratchet? WHat was he there?
Nyghtwynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
ohnaji
Beasty

Thanks for the pix. Geez... Jazz could have been that tiny. Looking at those concepts of Arcee reminds me of Transmutate from Beast Wars. Hope she still makes it into the sequel. Maybe she'll be Mikaela's guardian.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

The rear tires on the toy are meant to go forward to look like the shoulder pads on the comic version of Arcee however instead of having some way to keep the tires from moving they look like a U instead of a C. I was also thinking she could be Mikaela's guardian, the toy the great but I would have liked it more as a basic due to the large bike mode in comparison to the other deluxes.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghtwynd View Post
Is the red dude Ratchet? WHat was he there?
Those were early designs of him

http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/showp...14646/cat/1615

Last edited by dak; 07-17-2007 at 01:02 AM.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #9
ohnaji
Beasty

Remy's site just put up the DLX Arcee gallery. Some of those poses are insane. Never thought of having BB ride Arcee. Looks kinda cool and creepy at the same time. These two figures really do compliment each other.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Batman
The Dark Knight

I heard they dropped Arcee so they would not have to explain the whole robot gender thing.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote