Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
ohnaji
Beasty
Better than a boot to the head, it's Dropkick

Once again, I have to thank faustx for this recent purchase. I've had this figure for about a week now, and have been having fun figuring out its nuances. When this figure does become available, here are some things to consider.
For a character that only appears in the movie video game, Dropkick has an amazing amount detail. The vehicle mode has some interesting endearing features that set this apart from other DLXs. Personally, I find incorporating the Decepticon insignia into the paint job of the truck a really clever application. It's certainly more creative than just slapping on the symbol on a panel. The truck bed, features a removable cover that doubles for a plier type weapon. This weapon works better in vehicle mode since it isn't obtrusive to the design. With the weapon removed, there's an appropriate amount of detailing on the truck bed. On a DLX, I usually don't mind seam lines in vehicle mode. Dropkick, doesn't have any major issues in that respect. This figure does look really good as a generic low rider truck.
The transformation process is a relatively smooth sequence. Flip down the legs and form the feet. The front end tires and panels flip up activating an automorph on the doors as they swing out. Split the front end and pull down the arms. The truck side bed panels swings out and up allowing for the rest of the truck bed to fold in. Fold in the side panels to form the back. The arms can now be attached to the body. Finally flip up the truck roof and the the head spring ups.
Dropkick in robot mode has an incredible amount of molded detail and probably reflects the philosophy of the movie designs more so than any other figure of this current line. The legs are molded with visible pistons and actuators that enhance the ratcheted joints. The torso and chest is filled with exposed techno guts. This particular aesthetic really makes it seem that the truck engine had shifted it's components to form the body. Needles to say, this is one of the better looking DLXs.
Dropkick, is a great figure, but it is not without it's detriments. There is a bit of a scale issue. Dropkick, in truck mode is slightly on the small side in comparison to other truck bots like Ironhide. Still, this doesn't detract from my appreciation of the figure. I ran into one issue in the transformation. There's a hinge on the right side truck bed panel that is really stubborn. Consequently, that panel is prone to popping out whenever it needs to be flipped. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. Attaching the arms to the body has it's own dilemmas. The right shoulder has a hole that fits into a peg that is on the body, but on the left the reverse is true. The problem is that the left peg on the shoulder doesn't lock into place. There's a tendency for that shoulder to pop out. Fortunately, the hinge keeps it relatively in place. The claw gimmick that worked well in vehicle mode doesn't translate well in robot mode. The weapon fits onto either fist but it looks ugly as it doesn't seem to match visually. The worst part is that it can't be stored anywhere in robot mode.
Apart from these issues, Dropkick is a well thought out designed figure. It's vehicle mode is engaging, and it's robot mode can deliver some great dynamic poses. Next to 08 BB, this is probably one the best in the DLX line. He looks awesome displayed with other movie figures, especially with Longarm. He's a great figure to have in any movie collection. Look forward to it when it gets released here in Canada, or hit up faustx. I think he restocked, so get it while you can.
ohnaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Better than a boot to the head, it's Dropkick

Since Dropkick already has built-in weapons on his forearms, I put the claw/bed cover part aside. He doesn't need it and the pick-up truck mode looks better without it imo.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
tusko
Classic

I'm looking forward to its Canadian Release.

When should I start looking?
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
EnragedCoconut
Machine War

This one is currently available in the US, correct? My other half just returned from a tournie in PA and brought me home a haul from Target. There's a Dropkick in there.

I was debating not opening him but now I think I will. He sounds like a lot of fun.

EC