Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Oberon Prime
Beasty
Long Term Collection Storage Questions

Hello All,

After staying in the same place for more than 13 years I am finally ready to make a change. This change means taking over a room at a family members place for cheap so we can save up for a down payment. This process could be only a few months but could go longer depending on how things go. Regardless though while we are there the majority of our stuff (including most of my collection) will need to go into one of those Self Storage units popularized on certain reality shows.

Now the place we are looking at offers heated units which has humidifiers also working around the clock to pull out additional moisture. We will likely go for one of these. However I do have my concerns we may need a unit larger than the heated units available.

Now to my questions. My collection is mostly loose with some items I have kept the packages for. As a rule if the item is Beast Era, CHUG, Movie or TFP (except 1st Editions) then they are loose items stored in shallow storage bins meant to go under a bed. Anything that is an Import, Masterpiece, 3rd Party and G1 Reissue will be stored in package with instructions.

I assume the heated dehumidifed units will be fine for all of this. What I am curious to know is what of a unit that is not heated with or without a dehumidifier how can I expect my collection to keep? Is their anybody who can chime in on this?
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
mrluthor
Robot in Disguise
Re: Long Term Collection Storage Questions

Make sure you put all your items are in plastic containers do not use cardboard boxes to store them. I used cardboard boxes and lost all my GIJoe boxes and card backs (1982-1990) and about 2000 comic books when I had them in storage. Too much heat exposure can cause the white plastic figures to yellow. Too much cold can cause dry rot of rubbery plastics and can make them discolour and make some plastics brittle.
mrluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
elburrito
Animated

Dark, dry and no extremes of temperature. If you have the materials, bubblewrap/ziploc loose figures in alt. mode. Pack loose. Don't forget about them! Although that would be an amazing episode of storage wars.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

With the crazy weather and temperature swings the Winter could kill your collection. I had quite a bit ruined years ago by freezing, thawing and re-freezing. The moisture can destroy softer plastics, cardboard boxes and play havoc with stickers applied to anything. And Summer can be just as bad if they are stuck in storage too long. Go with the heated dehumidified units.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Rev
Addict

I stored my coll cation of g1, unicorn trilogy, mp01 and alternators (5 years ago) in plastic totes lined with newspaper or bubble wrap or towels for more than a full year in a unit with no heat or AC. Everything was just fine. I am not recommending this, I am just saying this was my experience. I wouldn't do that to my MP collection.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
TRUCKvsGUN

Unless you absolutely need a whole storage unit, I'd try to see if there's yet another relative out there with a spare room, and offer them half the storage unit's cost. People tend to pay closer attention to things like temperature and humidity when they have to live in that space.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
Gumby
Beasty

Scrapmaker has the right idea: try trusted family/friends first.

A few years ago, an artist pal of mine lost a very large chunk of his collection to a storage fire after some careless idiot left a lit cigarette in another unit that caused a massive fire. Everything in his unit- from comics, statues, figures and art- including some very rare items- gone! The photos were heartbreaking.

Last edited by Gumby; 01-20-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

humidity destroys toys? I thought dryness dried out toys and cracked the plastic/rubber parts.
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanKong View Post
humidity destroys toys? I thought dryness dried out toys and cracked the plastic/rubber parts.
excessive humidity rusts screws, ruins stickers and boxes. Too little moisture dries out rubber. When people talk about humidity we assume they are talking about too much humidity, as there is always moisture to some degree in the air. At least that is how I always take it - as a colloquialism. Indoor storage facilities will attempt to maintain balanced temperature and humidity levels.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

Thanks. Right now I'm running at about 27% humidity. I don't know if that's too low. I fear for my MP 10's wheels.
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote