Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #11
WereDragon EX
Robot Master
Re: Smoking-free environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
Items that come from Asian markets, come most of the time in sealed boxes.
Well, it depends on the age and rarity of the item in common. It's easier to find newer and/or more common figures sealed than older and/or rarer ones, but that should be pretty obvious anyway.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

I've gotten a few items where I opened the package, immediately ran to throw it outside and after a day it didn't get any better so I threw it in the dumpster. Cigarettes stink and things from a smoker's home carry that smell.

I got one package that stunk but wasn't quite cigarettes, I'm pretty sure it was cat or something like that. Probably from a home with 20 of them in it because it smelled awful.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
elburrito
Animated

cigarette smoke will absolutely dis-colour plastic and stinks. i know many smokers but they mostly all go outside or to the garage. the ones who don't mind smoking inside (in my anecdotal experience) often fail basic standards of cleanliness generally. so yeah, stay away!

a 'sealed' box will lessen, but not cure smoke smell. the best defence is to ask about the condition of the item.

opened items have an advantage over sealed. one can eliminate the possibility of defects. not possible with a sealed item

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 01-27-2017 at 02:13 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
ARCTrooperAlpha
Beast Machine

that and third hand smoking is equally bad, it seems.

http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_news...aspx?sid=75963
ARCTrooperAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
VosianSeeker
Generation 1

I'd consider a smoke-free environment essential, for instance, for MIB/MISB vintage toys, for which the box quality is more than half the value of the item itself (quality which one would like to maintain as long as possible, and smoke exposure, just as sun damage, can devalue an item considerably...).
VosianSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
TRUCKvsGUN

I smoke dope in my living room where most of my collection is on display and stored. It's just part of the hobby for me, smokin' dope and posing/transforming/bagging all my dudes. I've worried about it a bit in the past, but I haven't noticed it leaving any smell or residue. Weed smoke definitely doesn't leave that aweful ashtray smell lingering on items, and I imagine if it left a smell at all, it would be a little sweet. I mostly vape my volcano now, though, and almost all my collection is behind glass or in a polypro baggy these days, so I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 01-28-2017 at 10:05 AM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #17
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
I saw that many times, whether it's on this board or eBay, were the seller will add this in his description; figures was on the shelf for display never played. And it comes from a smoke-free environment, something along those lines. I never understood what smoke can do to a figure, I mean is it important if it comes from a smoke-free environment or no?
Haven't you stood by a person whose a smoker, but not currently smoking? You can still smell it.

The smell sticks to their clothes, so imagine that same smell on toys.

Like skunks, you don't have to see one, to know one is or was nearby.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #18
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Not an expert but I believe plastic is a porous material, meaning it can absorb things like a sponge. Obviously, it's not as good as a sponge, but over time it will slowly absorb things that it's exposed to like smoke.

It's why you can dye plastic different colors.

Ever see a coffee cup stain on a table? Same principle, at least to my limited knowledge.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

I got an RID Ultra Magnus and Fire Convoy that were absolutely riddled with smoke damage. Absolutely disgusting to open and it was a waste of over $100. It was partially my fault because I didn't ask but the seller also didn't state that they were smoked damage or came from a smoking home so I was very displeased at the end of the day...

Feedback Thread
RaidenisOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
elburrito
Animated

i recall reading quite recently report of a study that found mj smoke contains about 20x the ammonia and 3-5x the hydrogen cyanide as tobacco smoke. there was no mention of tar (which, i think is a big contributor to discolouration and smell). not sure the effects of ammonia or hydrogen cyanide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
I smoke dope in my living room where most of my collection is on display and stored. It's just part of the hobby for me, smokin' dope and posing/transforming/bagging all my dudes. I've worried about it a bit in the past, but I haven't noticed it leaving any smell or residue. Weed smoke definitely doesn't leave that aweful ashtray smell lingering on items, and I imagine if it left a smell at all, it would be a little sweet. I mostly vape my volcano now, though, and almost all my collection is behind glass or in a polypro baggy these days, so I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 01-28-2017 at 10:59 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote