Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: What Got You into Transformers

Had some G1 toys when I was a kid. I also watched the show religiously as I did with He-man, Robotech and Thundercats.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
Oreobot
Beasty

As a kid, it was the G1 cartoon that ignited my love of Transformers, followed by the toys. As an adult, it was the discover of the Alternators and Binaltechs.
Oreobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

The G1 cartoon which I first started watching when I was like 2. And then the toys very shortly afterward.

When I die, I hope to be cremated with the 2k4 20th Anniversary Prime. And then have my urn shaped similar to the Matrix with my ashes sitting there in the middle.

Then again, I probably won't be able to do that since anniversary prime has a prohibitive amount of metal. I may have to settle for a small plastic reproduction of the matrix.

Actually, the small reproduction of the matrix may be much better, a sort of symbolic method of merging with the allspark.

I should probably get started looking for that urn. It'll probably take a while to have made, though I don't think I'll need it for a long time. I might want to inform my wife about it too.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #24
nervousviper
Generation 1

When I saw the G1 cartoon as a kid it hit me right away, but never got me into colllecting even though I have some G1 toys as a gift. Some of them I broke while playing and misplaced the others until I don't have any of them .

As an adult the thing that get me back to like them again and start collecting was when I saw the Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP-01) because of it's G1 accuracy. Glad to be back .
nervousviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Honestly I was into Gobots first as a kid. I really can't remember if I started watching the show first or if I was given the toys first.

Naturally I started playing with Transformers at some point. I'm 99% sure that Twin Twist was my first Transformer, but I also have a very early memory of my Dad buying me Seaspray from Bowrings (yes, when they were still a department store, not just a home decor store).

After the Gobots line died I got into Transformers (starting watching the show, getting more of them etc.) and I guess I have just an attachment/fondness to them because my mom would never let me get rid of any of them, her reasoning was that they were expensive toys. Yet I had WAY more TMNT toys then I ever had Transformers and I have ZERO interest/nostalgia for them.

I've pretty much followed them since 86 when I was 3 years old.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Black Cat
Animated

As a kid, it was my brother who got me into them. He got me watching it religiously after school.

After that, I got back into them in '05. I can only imagine the amount of money that would be in my bank account if I wasn't collecting.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #27
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Like Pascal, Gobots actually got me into transforming robots...but after starting to compare the cartoons and toys it didn't take long for Transformers to become more desirable. Between my brother and I we had a nice collection of Gobots, Transformers, GiJoe, MASK, Visionairies, Thundercats, Silverhawks and my personal favorite--Starcom!

Any way many of the toys were given away...but most of TFs were in storage. I did notice Beast Wars during University but never really watched or sought after the toys because I was into Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and Star Wars (strange mix, I know).

So one day while visiting Montreal I see RID Spychangers and X-brawn and thought "That's so cool, they're making cars again" and bought them even though I felt a little ridiculous buying a toy at my age.

Thru Armada, I starting picking up the Minicons...again slightly embarrased but thought they were so cool because I loved Micromasters as a kid.

When I picked up my old G1 stuff from home I decided to complete and repair a few G1s and thought "maybe the Internet will sell this stuff on forums or something" and before long I had purchased a G1 Hook to finally fix my Devastator from "action figure headquarters".

So you can imagine it wasn't long after that before I found Ebay, and Link 2 Cool toys, and BBTS, and imports, and TFW, and Cybertron.ca etc. etc. and I've never stopped since. ;-)

And I certainly don't feel ridiculous buying them anymore. TF Con, these forums, and meeting the fellow Ottawa collectors was great...I had no idea so many collected and to this day I'm amazed at the quality and quantity of people into this hobby!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #28
pulsedragon20
I win

Watching G1 reruns on Fox in the 90s before i left for school in the morning and from episodes taped by my aunt on betamax. Later extended by receiving G2 BB and Grimlock and then Beastwars (I started a TF BW club at my school, and managed to get 10 memebers !)
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #29
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

as a kid i had a vhs i had of a lot of the episodes from season 1 and 2, plusa the show being on, my older brother gave me g1 prowl and i was hooked,

as an adult, i bought an incomplete trailbreaker for $5, then a couple months later, mp prime just looked so tempting

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #30
SCOURGE33
Machine War

For me it was a mix of the G1 cartoon on Saturday mornings and the toys. Still remember my birthday when I got Prime and one Christmas was loaded with TFs. After that it restarted with Beasties (show only) and RID Scourge started the collecting all over again.
SCOURGE33 is offline   Reply With Quote