Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
hXcpunk23
Generation 1
Exclamation Classics Megatron - WIP

I started this back in early 2008, but just recently went back to finish up some work on it. After seeing Kelvin's Megatron today and spoonman's Megatron custom recently, I've had the urge to finish up on this one also and finally share this up with those that never got to see it. As usual, this project has been in production for over a year and a half now (I REALLY need to keep cranking them out or do one at a time--lol). This was my first major styrene work. While I liked the overall look of Classics Megatron, it just wasn't "G1" enough for my taste. I cut off the old chest just above the hinge and built my own using 3 thick sheets of styrene. I added bits to the chest for more detail and I did my best to cut and shape it all to be more like the G1 Megatron from the toon. I'll update more on this soon with new pics and details. (sorry for the crappy pictures--I used an old digi-cam when I snapped these--new shots should be more clear and detailed). Don't mind the crappy silvery paint job--this was basically a test to see how the mods looked, then I tried to make it look worn a bit (to possibly keep the paint scheme), but it failed miserably. Trust me when I say you guys will dig the new shots MUCH MORE than these old WIP shots.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy
Re: Classics Megatron - WIP

Looks great!
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Very nice! I can't wait to see pics in gun mode!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Cool! Can he hold tapes?
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

looks good so far

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
hXcpunk23
Generation 1

Thanks, guys! He can almost hold tapes (he had the look and feel down--as I said in response to a comment on another site, just call him Megawave). lol

Here are some new updates since last night. Any of you that may have seen the old WIP on this before, I've gone back and sanded the chest down (removing the gray primer I had done as a test to see how it could look) and I worked on the head some. I cut the extra bit that bent in the middle of the forehead (just look at the original Classics Megatron to know what I'm talking about). I wanted the helmet more smooth like the old G1 Megatron 'toon look (and most of the artwork we continually see). I also cut down his protruding chin a bit to make it more flat (not smooth, but I may do more). I also cut that "V" shape off that came down between his eyes--making this MUCH more G1-styled now. The shoulders I'm still not sure about--I'll either add some shapes from thin sheet styrene and/or carve some panel lines into it. I decided to change the fist back to its original state and instead, decided to make the fusion cannon removable (like G1 Megs). I did this the same way I did the wings--cut a small notch around the pin so that it now snaps back in when I want to go alt mode with it. now the arm can move and pose much better than before.

I'm considering shaving down the odd circle like section on the side of the fusion cannon (including the Decepticon logo there) so that it will be more trim and not so bulky. BUT, does anyone know if this piece is hollow inside? Either way, I'll more than likely fill it with putty or some thin sheet styrene. I also quickly painted the fusion cannon in flat black (I may go gloss, who knows). I was basically testing to see if I'd like it or not. It has some scuffs and scratches and will definitely be painted again. I also took the front piece off and painted the clear green section with Testors Model Master Acryl Clear Red (also did the back end of the cannon and the eyes, but I then went over the eyes with Testors Acryl Red Gloss so now the eyes sort of glow around the edges when a light source is directly behind it). I also build up the crotchular region and plan to add (or try to) some styrene to the sides to make it more G1-like (only bad thing is those parts might be add-ons or armor bits since the transformation hinges on those hip joints).

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I cut off the trigger because I was originally planning completely different shoulders and gun tips, but I've gone back to the original look (sort of). I plan to build a new trigger from styrene later). Also, the Decepticon symbol/sticker on his chest is not permanent (it's an old one that still had some sticky to it, so I stuck it on to get a feel for how the chest would look with the styrene I've built up on to it and all). I'm going for a silver paint job for the chest (and arms and all). The legs have been painted up to mimmick G1 Megatron (again, to get a feel for the figure as a whole). I do NOT plan on keeping them red on the insides like this--I plan to paint them black and possibly Dark Grey (Tamiya), with some red highlights (a small amount that will be end up on both sides). Still now sure how I'll do those yet though.

Anyway, enough rambling--enjoy the new WIP shots and shoot me some feedback, guys.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
chans formers
raff ow roud

dude!!! i painted mine up the exact same red/black/silver scheme but i was too lazy to mess with adding styrene bits..holy crap what a difference!!!and the fact that you moved the position of the giant cannon makes him look so much better!!!the best part that i keep staring at is the change in the mid section!!!awesome work so far !!!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

*claps*

very nice job dude ^^ I like what ya did with the chest and waist pieces ^^
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Wow man, the detailing on his chest and waist is amazing!!
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

The chest detail really makes the figure. Great job!

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classics, decepticon, generation 1, megatron