Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Joalro
Robot in Disguise
Re: Entertainment Pack Megs & Prime vs PRID Voyager

I have FE Prime, and yeah, he's pretty sweet. But honestly, I wouldn't knock Prid Prime. Based on reviews, he actually has a much more interesting transformation, and looking at it in person it does look pretty good. The really big down side is the huge panels on his back, and the clear forearms. However, just a red sharpie can apparently fix those forearms.

If you can find FE prime for cheap, go for it. But honestly, I wouldn't pay more than retail price for it. I'd just go for Prid.

As for Megatron, I personally think the voyager mold is fantastic. I want to get it painted, but since i don't do that myself i'm going to find someone to do it for me. I suggest you do the same!
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Autobot Meister
Machine War

PRID Prime is awesome if you can't find or afford FE Prime. I find myself transforming PRID Prime and PRID Cliffjumper more than any other of the Prime figures.
Autobot Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Fe prime is awesome, once you fix the head's placement on the ball joint the gap in truck mode disappears. The two pack megs sold me on the line, but the voyager is one of the figures that's killing my interest in the mainline

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

There's no really good answer, I'm afraid.

FE Voyager Prime is, I think, clearly the best. It's bigger, has the smallest backpack, and has the best details and colours. The proportions are great, the waist articulates, and it feels very "finished". The only downsides are the squishy smokestacks and awful sword weapon. These are pretty minor.

Like Joalro says, RiD Prime shouldn't be knocked. I don't know if I'd go so far to say his transformation is more interesting, but it is the only one where the cab windshield is also the robot windshield. Unfortunately, there are stability and colour compromises for this -- RiD Prime ends up with much more grey than red on his chest and body. I don't mind the clear blue forearms, but I hate the visible screws and rivets on his shoulders.

Deluxe Prime is nifty. I was all set to hate it, but like Nomad says the pictures don't do him justice and like Alexander Quinn says they got the wheel rims and fixed the seams. That said, I don't think I'd want him as my only Optimus, as the chest panels are disappointing and he has the biggest backpack. It's impressive for a deluxe, but the size did cause some compromises.

A good question is: without a FE Voyager Prime to compare, is RiD Voyager Prime good enough? I can't answer this for you.

Now, let's complicate it further by introducing Megatron into the equation.

I think FE Megatron is superior. The only thing he's got going against him is his size. Everything else is better on FE Megatron. The paint/deco/plastic is more cohesive and much more pleasing. The robot is sleek and the vehicle actually looks like a ship instead of a collection of robot parts. The transformation on both is pretty much the same, but the end result is much better looking on FE Megatron.

RiD Megatron has scale going for him, but the colours... It's not as bad as pictures make it look, but the base colour is too light and the purple paint that is there doesn't go well with the purple plastic. Overall, there's a severe lack of paint (which, for some, is fixable). The gun lights up, but not well, and it's MechTech level goofy. I think robot mode is good, but vehicle mode pales in comparison to the FE version -- it reminds me much more of Movie 1's "it's-a-vehicle-because-we-say-so-even-though-it-looks-like-a-bunch-of-robot-limbs-bent-awkwardly"

My personal recommendation: get RiD Megatron and RiD Prime on sale, and also get the Entertainment pack. You get Voyager Prime and Megs, both of which are pretty good, and you get the best Megatron and a scaled buddy for him. You get to experience both RiD and FE Prime's transformation (it's the same for Deluxe and Voyager).

If you take advantage of sales, you can get all of them for around $60. I did. Then, if you decide you can live without one or both deluxes, you can sell them to Americans.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
If scale were not an issue, then 2pk Megs is the best version.
Voyager Megs is a good figure, but severely lacking paint apps. It doesn't bother me much so the Voyager is my main Megs, with 2pk version left in alt mode.
x2
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagagalvatron View Post
RiD Megatron has scale going for him, but the colours... It's not as bad as pictures make it look, but the base colour is too light and the purple paint that is there doesn't go well with the purple plastic. Overall, there's a severe lack of paint (which, for some, is fixable). The gun lights up, but not well, and it's MechTech level goofy. I think robot mode is good, but vehicle mode pales in comparison to the FE version -- it reminds me much more of Movie 1's "it's-a-vehicle-because-we-say-so-even-though-it-looks-like-a-bunch-of-robot-limbs-bent-awkwardly"
Personally I like the look of the voyager vehicle more than the FE. The problem with FE is that the had peeks out just a tad too much for me. This is probably not a big deal to some, but I just don't like to see too much. I find the voyager has just the right amount of peeking so that its' still accurate to the show, but still not too much. The colours obviously need work, and I'm hoping to get that fixed.

A note about the lights on the cannon. I agree that the gimmick is kinda dumb, but i've actually noticed that most people seem to not actually get actually point of the gimmick. The light is NOT there to light up the cannon OR the sword. The whole point is that his forearms are clear. As you push the button, if you do it a little slower, then the light travels through his forearm into the cannon to make it look like his arm is "charging" the cannon. Although it's still underwhelming, people need to judge the gimmick for what it's supposed to be, and not for what they misunderstand it to be.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
pacinofan
Mini-Con

Would you guys say scale wise that the Entertainment pack Prime and Megs would be too small to be displayed w/ First Edition ARCEE, BB, and Starscream? OR, are the Voyager Powerizers too big for those? I just want to have a team of autobots and a team of Decepticons.

I really appreciate all the insight!!!
pacinofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Ozrein
Stunticon

I'd go with the Voyagers of both Prime & Megatron. While the deluxe Megatron does have more paint apps, the Voyager Megatron still looks good, imo, and scales way better with the rest of the characters.

Also ignore the mech-tech arm cannon on Voy. Megatron (well I ignore it) and simply move the sword blades by hand. Best of both worlds, imo.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Orchix
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacinofan View Post
Would you guys say scale wise that the Entertainment pack Prime and Megs would be too small to be displayed w/ First Edition ARCEE, BB, and Starscream? OR, are the Voyager Powerizers too big for those? I just want to have a team of autobots and a team of Decepticons.

I really appreciate all the insight!!!
Here's a pic I took a couple weeks ago with the Ent. Pack Prime and Megatron with some Dlxs:

Deluxe Prime is off scale from the RID BB and CJ here, but he's still taller, so I don't mind (scale went out the window with the movie series). Deluxe Megs is using a Gundam beam saber for his sword, and he is taller than RID SW, but not SS. I would say that the Ent. Pack OP and Megatron are not bad to stand in for faction leaders, and they are cheaper as a whole. The voyagers have better weapons though, so if you want to arm your Megs and OP, get them.
Orchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joalro View Post
A note about the lights on the cannon. I agree that the gimmick is kinda dumb, but i've actually noticed that most people seem to not actually get actually point of the gimmick. The light is NOT there to light up the cannon OR the sword. The whole point is that his forearms are clear. As you push the button, if you do it a little slower, then the light travels through his forearm into the cannon to make it look like his arm is "charging" the cannon. Although it's still underwhelming, people need to judge the gimmick for what it's supposed to be, and not for what they misunderstand it to be.
Actually, I got that. Just looking at the mechanism and why it's designed the way it is makes it pretty plain that's what they were going for. If they just wanted to light up the blade, there'd be much easier ways to do that.

It's a neat idea with lackluster execution. I'd much rather have the cannon itself light up or the whole assembly be not quite so large and silly looking. There are also ways to get the light to better catch on the blades (like we saw with Battle Tanker) that didn't happen.

Even though Deluxe Megatron's weapon doesn't light up at all, it fits much better in both modes. I think it suits the character and figure with a style that the Voyager one lacks.

And I agree with you about the head. That's better on Voyager Megatron. I wish the Deluxe one sat just a little lower.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote