Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 08:06 PM   #11
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: Is Hasbro Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solauren View Post
Go read Wikipedias entry on Hasbro.

The Wall Street Journal said it best; Hasbro is no longer a Toy company. It's a Geek game company (Wizards of the Coast), with a Toy Division (Hasbro).

Basically, D&D geeks are keeping Hasbro afloat.
And that's not going so well at the moment.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:35 PM   #12
MotionBlue
Generation 1

Quote:

The Wall Street Journal said it best; Hasbro is no longer a Toy company. It's a Geek game company (Wizards of the Coast), with a Toy Division (Hasbro).

And they dud this by burning player good will constantly. Magic TCG community is dying, and DND 5E is on the way out after the OGL bullshit.
MotionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:29 PM   #13
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

Can i just thank all of you for this really level headed and insightful conversation? I really appreciate all your excellent points.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:19 AM   #14
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I'm far from an expert. I'm just a rando interpreting what I'm seeing.

I think Hasbro is a prime example of what a lot of our world has evolved into. There's little thought put into long term thinking. If you're an exec that's only going to be around for around 5 years, then there's no incentive for you to look beyond that horizon. Milk everything to maximize profit now. Burn the candle at both ends, collect your big bonuses for your efforts, and then get the fuck out of Dodge before consequences have to be faced.

Move on to the next company, point to how much you increased profits at the last place, and point to what happened after you left. Don't point out that the old company is struggling now because of what you did.

Rinse and repeat.

Obviously, it's an oversimplification, but broadly speaking, that's what it seems like to me.

Nothing seems to be designed to last for more than 5 years. There seems to be a built in obsolescence in everything now. Here's the new Optimus Prime. It's pretty show accurate. A month later. Here's the new Optimus Prime with a slight remould. It's slightly more show accurate now, but it's in an exclusive pack, so it'll cost you. There's no longer the attitude of give the customer a bargain/deal/value. It's about milking every last cent you can from the customer.

Before when you bought a collected pack of several TF figures, the cost for the pack would be less than the retail price for those figures individually. NOW, they charge you more. Because they know enough will pay it if there's a figure they really want in that pack.

You figure that type of behaviour can't go on forever before something has to give.

I got back into Magic the Gathering during Covid. It's Hasbro's biggest money making IP. Because of that, they're firehosing out an overwhelming amount of product. For me, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others, it's makes it incredible hard to get invested in the game. It's actually a turn off. I barely have enough time to enjoy what I just bought before the next thing hits the shelves. It makes it so the hobby is about continually buying things instead of enjoying what you bought.

Like I said, burning the candle at both ends.

Any way, I see a nice cloud outside my window that needs a yellin' at.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 02-10-2024 at 06:22 AM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:03 AM   #15
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

That's fine, I collected enough almost done with my collection, also thanks to Hasbro's high price tag pushed me out.

So now-a-days, 3P figures are my most purchase target anyway.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:54 AM   #16
ARCTrooperAlpha
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansakWORK View Post
Also.... by the numbers. Under Chris Cox.. Hasbro has lost over 50% of its value over the last two years. Peaks of 101$ in 2022 with peaks of only 50 bux in 2024.

Chris Cox also tripled his executive compensation from 3.7m to 9.4m by cutting staff to hit his targets.
Yikes man
ARCTrooperAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:49 AM   #17
neevnav
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
There's mention that they're having difficulty to meet paying shareholders dividends.

That is a big red flag on the corporate financial health and outlook.

As much as the crap we deal with them, I really would not want the Transformers IP to go to a toy manufacturer/company that's even worse for technology, innovation, development and distribution.

Please not to Mattel and not to Bandai.
And definitely not Jazzwares. I love the Star Wars MGS line, but holy, it's the worst distribution I've ever seen.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:10 AM   #18
lifedragon99
Beasty

Quote:

Magic the Gathering, not D&D, is what's making the money for Wizards of the Coast.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:15 AM   #19
lifedragon99
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevnav View Post
And definitely not Jazzwares. I love the Star Wars MGS line, but holy, it's the worst distribution I've ever seen.

Horrible distribution, then you have the chase figures, and the unholy amount of exclusives. Jazzwares would be horrible.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:46 PM   #20
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Just read this:

Hasbro?s holiday sales tank
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, hasbro