Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Autovolt 127
Animated
Re: I HATE THIEVES!

I hope theose people get caught.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Wow pud, interesting security features...Is this available from one of the major FIs or only the local BC credit unions?

As for computer security, I use 3 antiviruses/spyware programs:
AVG
Malwarebytes
Spybot

Trendmicro's free Housecall is also useful.
Dark Rage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post

AVG
Malwarebytes
Spybot
I'm using those same three, plus Microsoft Security Essentials.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Wow pud, interesting security features...Is this available from one of the major FIs or only the local BC credit unions?

AVG
Malwarebytes
Spybot

Trendmicro's free Housecall is also useful.
BC credit unions all run off the same basic template, which is provided by Credit Union Central, I believe. So they all should be similar. It just depends on whether the CU wants to have those features I believe. As for big banks, I have a BMO account that I haven't used in a while, but I checked and you can do similar things. Every major bank that offers mobile banking should also offer those kinds of alerts.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Yes, BMO has the same feature with the online bill payments. We also have an security program avalible for Online Banking.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
pud333
Animated

Update: So I used Sphos antivirus on my computer - both of them. The new macbook I've had since beginning of July had nothing, but my old one, which I've used once or twice in the past month while transferring files, had 17 viruses and malware on it. So I went ahead and cleansed it. I'll probably stop using it soon anyway once I move everything over. Then, it'll be smashy smashy time, haha.

As for my account, I went ahead and had the guys at work put a restriction on the account. The thieves had been transferring money from my line of credit to pay the prepaid visas, so now my line of credit has a "deposit only" restriction, so I cannot pay bills or transfer money out online from that account. I have to go to the branch to do so. Not a big deal for me, since all I do is put money in to pay it down. So now there is no way anyone can steal money from that line of credit unless they go to the branch in person.

Man, what a headache.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #17
Woodlm
Generation 2

"Because I work for the same institution my account is with, I called up corporate security and reported it to them, and they will investigage.

Suggestions for people looking to protect their accounts: 1) don't tell anyone, not even spouses, your passwords. If the financial institution finds out you did this, you can be on the hook for the defrauded money. Even when it is a joint account. A lot of times, the account agreement is between the bank and the individual, not you as a couple. So even though your accounts are joint, your passwords are not intended to be shared. 2) check your account regularly. 3) change your password regularly."

Whoa Pud that is too bad! good thing you caught it in time!

I work for a bank as well. You gave a good piece of advice there, don't share passwords with ANYONE. Even if you are a legit victim, one of the first questions the bank will ask is a "trick one": "So who else knows your PIN/Passoword besides you?" If you tell them anyone else other than yourself, that gives the bank grounds to dismiss your claim and you are SOL.
Woodlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlm View Post

I work for a bank as well. You gave a good piece of advice there, don't share passwords with ANYONE. Even if you are a legit victim, one of the first questions the bank will ask is a "trick one": "So who else knows your PIN/Passoword besides you?" If you tell them anyone else other than yourself, that gives the bank grounds to dismiss your claim and you are SOL.
See this to me is the banks screwing over its customers. If the bank has a security lapse thats their fault, not mine. They would be trying to escape responsibility on a technicality.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
See this to me is the banks screwing over its customers. If the bank has a security lapse thats their fault, not mine. They would be trying to escape responsibility on a technicality.
They have to ask it. Sometimes it is the member giving up their passwords or pins to others, and the bank shouldn't be on the hook for that. For example, we had a situation where a woman gave her boyfriend her debit card to use. He then proceeded to steal her money when they were going through a breakup. She admited this to us, so she is now on the hook for $5K. The agreement is specifically between the bank and that particular member. She broke the agreement by giving someone else access to her account. The thing is, if you give your password to someone, a) who knows who else you told, and b) who knows what that person told someone else.

The reason those rules are there are not only to protect the bank and the member, but for anti-money laundering, etc.

Now, for something the member did not do, absolutely. If you did nothing wrong, no need to worry. If you did... well, deny till you die I guess.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #20
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I do a facepalm in my mind every time I see people write their pin numbers in a piece of paper in their wallet or look for their pin numbers in their purse...

Yeah, it's reasons like that that the bank shouldn't be on the hook for incompetence.
Dark Rage is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
i hate thieves