Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
pud333
Animated
I hate this hobby.

Collecting. It drives me nuts. I love it, but I hate it at the same time. Every time I get to a point where I feel, "Okay. I got everything I want. I don't need anything else. Nothing else out there interests me. So now is the time to cut back, ween myself off of collecting toys..." I see something else I want.

There was a good three or four months when nothing that great was coming out, and I thought I was safe. But I was wrong. Case in point: SDCC Blaster. I've been searching every Winners high and low for the past week. It is tiresome, but I can't stop searching. I keep thinking, "Maybe today..." Maybe today has been every day, sometimes twice a day.

Anyone else ever try to "quit" the hobby? Is there a Collector's Anonymous support group?

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: I hate this hobby.

I think this site is our colletor's anonymous. Although we seem to enable each other more than helping.

I have never really thought about trying to get out of collecting. I just enjoy the lulls for what they are and know eventually something will come that I do not need, but will want.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
STI 2NV
Energon

This website has done wonders for my addiction, I just keep buying and buying and buying. Wait thats........

I need help too.

I find every time a line isn't very exciting all of a sudden there are a bunch of 3rd party stuff coming out so no matter what I don't get a break.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Commandoclone87
Seeker

I had gotten out for years until just this last January. Seeing the newer figures just clicked something in my brain and all the memories of having TF's when I grew up came back and I just had to have em.

How ever much you try, something will drag you back in. Whether it be a new movie or series, a game or an awesome toy.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

I tried to restrcit myself to one glass case, but then that spilled over into a bookshelf, and now that bookshelf is half full... There are droughts when I see nothing I want new coming out, but then come across a deal on something older that opens a door to past wants...
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Protoman
The Legend

Every TF movie I tell myself I will hold back and wait for sales instead of BUYING EVERYTHING ASAP............ and yet..........
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
STI 2NV
Energon

My walk in closet was my original limit now I have a full spare bedroom closet too. Plus a glass case. Waiting on a trip to ikea to build something like protoman but that wont be till my new place is finished. (hopefully the end of summer)
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Every TF movie I tell myself I will hold back and wait for sales instead of BUYING EVERYTHING ASAP............ and yet..........
Oh, the dreaded 'ASAP'

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Collecting. It drives me nuts. I love it, but I hate it at the same time. Every time I get to a point where I feel, "Okay. I got everything I want. I don't need anything else. Nothing else out there interests me. So now is the time to cut back, ween myself off of collecting toys..." I see something else I want.

There was a good three or four months when nothing that great was coming out, and I thought I was safe. But I was wrong. Case in point: SDCC Blaster. I've been searching every Winners high and low for the past week. It is tiresome, but I can't stop searching. I keep thinking, "Maybe today..." Maybe today has been every day, sometimes twice a day.

Anyone else ever try to "quit" the hobby? Is there a Collector's Anonymous support group?
Sounds to me like you've 'weened' off the actual toy collection part to a certain degree.
It's the search, or thrill of the 'quest' that motivates you.

When I was working in the US, I had requests from friends to pick up Target or Walmart US exclusives for them. They paid for them, so it wasn't about my money or collection, but the quest still gave me a thrill.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I'm there with you man.

Like I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
...when it comes to collecting Transformers I'm like Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part III:

"Just When I thought I was out...they pull me back in!!!"
As for what you said about recently scouring every frackin' HomeSense in the Lower Mainland:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
There was a good three or four months when nothing that great was coming out, and I thought I was safe. But I was wrong. Case in point: SDCC Blaster.
I only lasted 2 months when I was pulled in by the lore of picking up a new G1 Blaster reissue for under $20...in fact I came within minutes of getting one last Friday which I'm still trying to get over. And I don't even like G1 Blaster all that much!!!

It helps that Ijust bought a bunch of STARS WARS Lego parts to complete my Jedi versus Sith minfigures to distract me from my failure.

I truly believe I have a problem with fixating on things. I really have to get a grip when I convince myself that I "need" something <looks at transformable Revoltech VF-1J displayed on desk and gives it the middle finger>.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hobby collecting quit