Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
pud333
Animated
Hybrids. What do you think?

My girlfriend wrecked her car in an accident recently and she got a lousey $3K for it. (Everyone in the accident was fine and it turnes out to be the other person's fault for running a stop sign.)

Anyway, she now wants a Prius. New ones cost around 30K starting, and used ones are about 15-20K from what I can see from online ads.

Personally, I would rather not have another car, and I'm pissed at the idiot driver for ruining a perfectly good car. What do people think about hybrids? Does anyone here own one? We don't really drive much other than to go grocery shopping or go car camping, but the reality is we may have a kid or two in the next couple of years...

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Prowl_2009
A Decepticons Downfall
Re: Hybrids. What do you think?

Hey Pudd, my family has been in the car business for the last 30-years and we've dealt with a few hybrid cars here and there (Civic, Prius).

To be honest my friend, if you don't do much driving, skip a hybrid. Yes, they're good on gas, but the amount of money you're going to pay to use the car once in a while just doesn't seem worth it.

You're better off picking up something like a used Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, Focus, ect. These cars don't run even half the price of a hybrid, and will serve all your needs well for a mere fraction of a used hybrid's sticker cost.

Don't get me wrong, hybrid's are good cars, but again, do you really want to pay $20-G's for something, used for one, and that you'll only drive ever so often? Any of the other cars listed above would be a better choice. They're cheaper to buy and just as good on gas. Plus, if you're going to have kids, they're all sedans and that can accomidate you're family easily.

This is just my opinion, but I figured since I've had experience with them since they came onto the market, I'd at least give you my 2-cents worth.

"Logic is the Ultimate Weapon." - Prowl

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Prowl_2009

Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook: Infinite Earths
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Hybrids are a great idea, but I can't help but think the battery technology and other modifications aren't to the point where they justify the additional cost to the vehicle (especially considering additional maintenance costs and comparing to non-hybrid variants of the same car). However, as gas prices continue to rise, this may not be the case for long. Also, I suppose that additional cost is the price of being an early adopter, and supporting the technology now is an incentive for it to improve (which would be nice, as its a great concept).

So I guess the real question is, HOW MUCH do you want a hyrbid? Could you make do with a used car, or a subcompact?
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Our family has a Camry Hybrid and we love using it. Very quiet, smooth and good mileage. Like Prowl 2009 said, you need to use it a lot to make it worthwhile.

You can always buy a used one, which is definitely cheaper. Just...don't get the Prius, you're better off with another Hybrid that offers better features/more power.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I'm thinking of looking into one for my next car.

But I also drive about 170km a day with my commute.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

It all depends on how much driving you do; even then, you'd have to be doing A LOT of driving to reap the benefits. Personally, I'm not big on hybrids; when you have full size cars like an Accord or Sonata with ratings of 5.7L/100km (highway), it's hard to justify the premium you're paying for a hybrid. Additionally, how much in extra maintenance cost would you incur over the life of the hybrid should you need to replace the hybrid drivetrain or the battery pack itself?
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Sorry to hear about your GFs car. I too was in in an accident and the jackass who ran a red light, ruined a perfectly good van...

I heard that Hybrids actually cause more longterm enviromental problems then the new 'typical' vehicals being built now. Is that true?

Also, I would think the cost to fix a Hybrid would be higher... something to think about.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

IIRC, Toyota's batteries will last roughly 13 years before needing a replacement.

Ian, you will definitely benefit from a Hybrid, as long as you're not a leadfoot driver.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Pascal
Banned

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
Sludge2007
Beasty

From what I last heard the process and materials used for hybrids produces more pollution than regular built cars and if it's not going to be driven much you won't see a return in fuel savings vs. the cost of buying one for many years. Price of repairs and parts are higher too in regards to dealer specific tools. Great idea and works good but not really cost effective against gas or diesel cars yet. For short commutes gas powered is best, my two cents anyhow.
Sludge2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars