Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
wheeljaxx
Always in pain.
Re: Retail rant thread for those working in retail!

A friend of mine was the manager at the Walmart Portrait studio in one of the walmarts in Halifax, and hired me on for the xmas rush. Now, being a professional photographer already, that broke rule 1.
They aren't supposed to hire people with prior knowledge, so they can mold them to do what they want. I did not comply. Other than the HUGE conflict of interest in my position, i recruited quite a few people to my own studio and made a fortune. LOL

but, here are my stories.

Actually KNOWING about how light works, and having my own gear, i would sometime bring in a reflector for very nice rim light effects. the customer would melt over the pictures, and buy a crap load. i'd get top sales almost every week. When the district manager came in, and looked at the photos, she'd ask how i did that, and i would tell her. I'd get in trouble every single time, because it's all supposed to be cookie cutter. same pictures in any studio. I was adding some spice, and raking in the customers, but i was in trouble every week.

People and photos of their kids are INSANE! that $4.99 special walmart has is a complete SHAM. they word it so that you think your getting 29 portraits, WRONG!! your getting 1 portrait, 29 times. then you have to pay $30 for each additional pose. I figured out how to switch the posses around, so that they got the best one as their package, and then left the others. then they'd come to me. What anyone would do with 29 portraits is beyond me. the rule was that one package deal per family every 3 weeks. Some people would book their next session every 3 weeks. NO ONES KID CHANGES THAT FAST!! can you imagine 29-39 portraits of your kid every 3 weeks for 7 months? OMFG!! who cares if its' only $5!! no one needs that many photos of their kid that often. These are teh same people you see on the "people of walmart" website BTW, lol

god i hated that job, but i made quite a bit of contacts and stole quite a few customers for myself
wheeljaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #22
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Fuck! I just worked a night crew shift to try and get some extra cash for BotCon. Friggin' brutal! It was bad enough I was tired from working that morning/afternoon and then having to come back and having to work that same night/next morning, but it seems like everyone who came in was just assholes there to push my buttons. Fricking crackheads! And then I couldn't even go to sleep after I got home because I had a doctors appointment that same morning. Then I went home and crashed. Just woke up a few hours ago in time for supper. Now I'm all screwed up chronologically. What day is it?

But on the bright side, no diabetes!But I will have to cut out all the cheeseburgers, fries, chicken fingers, pizza, etc.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Long story short, worked as a general customer service associate (as they called us) for a few years on the floor. Basically asked people if they need help, fronted ends of shelves, and other minial tasks. Later on I moved into the electronics department, was there for a few more years. It got to the point that the place made me so angry, so pissed at the world. My only escape was hobbies, yard sale, flea markets. It actually got to the point where I was making a great income selling trinkets and so on at the market/ online or otherwise. However work became more intensily agrevating. My boss actually toke it out on us to get back at an alternative boss. So after 7 Years I quite, I even left University, Moved out on my own. Etc etc. It toke 2 full years for me to get rid of the built in agression and spit that, that place had festered in me. Then the housing market happened, Slowly my business failded... woo hooo. Guess where i'm at, working the same dead end job same department 3 years after leaving. Only thing thats changed is i'm now working towards getting that degree I was going for. Plus work maybe still retard, the customers as stupid for the majority of the masses. However, that boss I was talking about, she has become alot better. I concluded it is because they other boss has moved on to a better job.

I sadly hope to be laid-off, so the goverment will pay half of my tuition. Its hard to work, save for next years school and well planning/paying for the future wedding. Yes, I'm not applying for student loans.

So heres a more annoying event at work. Happened just before xmas. I and a coworker spent 5 minitues attempting to explain that oven mits are universal. As in it can be left or right. By the end of it the 6 and a half foot, 300 pound lady said this (this is in my own words, as I am unable to talk or write that stupid): Are you sure, well if your not, I have my reciept and I can return the extra right handed oven mit.

For every greatful/polite customer there are 5 neutral customers (people that are just there to buy the item), 5 biter ones (those people that think your taking to long, or that there better then the other customers ahead of them), 1 super jack ass (Should be self explanitory), 1 special needs (which I have no problem with you just need to take your time, and there usally the ones that make your day Smiles and all). Plus the real tards, I mean those people that should be as smart and wise as your self. However, somehow they fell through the educational cracks.

Omg, trying to keep this pg and pc is very difficult.

Thanks I need that.....
Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #24
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

After a Bomber game(we're right near the stadium) this dude came into the store, drunk. He was asked to leave but instead ran into our warehouse and took a dump on the floor.

And people wonder why I don't think Bomber home games are awesome.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retail rants