Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #21
79transam
Machine War
Re: Grinds my gears!!!!!!

Q-tips and water are the way I clean mine. But that's maybe once a year if that. I take mine down and pose them for pics all the time and just handling them seems to be enough to keep em looking ok. They live in detolfs though so not as much dust gets in there as a shelf would get. My Legends and Black Series I just run them under the tap. They all at one point or another come with me to the river and swamps ect for photos so when they get home are usually covered in mud.
For me, that's what makes me feel like I'm getting my moneys worth out of them. And they all seem to be holding up quite well. The worst one is Krennic with his floppy legs but that's how he was when I opened it.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #22
BigWillay
Robot Master

First off... you've made some interesting points... however I take offence to the statement of "embellishment" for those who do know me on the boards, I am self admittedly anal about my figures I am spending hard earned money on higher end items. If I am buying Tr figures or CW figures I'm not really bothered (lower cost figure). Granted I do tend to clean most figures I buy, because I do understand that they are on display and can be dirty. But when I am buying an MP figure and spending a fair amount on it, there is some responsibility on the buyer to provide a product in said condition as was described. I understand the the term "buyer beware" (LMAO Primecron) comes into play and you are right most of the responsibility falls on the buyer. But that being said where is the sense of honor between fellow collectors.

I also don't quite understand how I'm "playing the victim".... at no point did I say I got played or made a fool of or am I whining that I got ripped off... the op and title is "what grinds my gears" so all I am doing is talking to the community about what bothers me within our circle. Last time I checked complaining or discussing doesn't automatically make me a victim... nor am I trying to be one. Was just trying to get feedback from the community. Not trying to get Flamed. My friends on this forum can attest that I am hardly a victim, I am however vocal in regards to issues I see.

I agree some figures come right out of the box with issues, but that being said an educated collector already knows about given issues. I don't agree with your statement of not mint... I know for myself I have figures that have been removed from box, pix are taken it's on display for a few days wiped down and put back in box not even transformed. How is that not mint in box? Again my reputation speaks for itself. It's the honesty that I don't understand. If I am selling a figure and there is an issue I let people know upfront then I can't be told I wasn't honest... that's my integrity and up to me as a responsible seller. Let's call a spade a spade, in this community reputation is everything, selling figures in great shape that are clean can make or break a sales thread. A while back I traded a figure that had issues with the paint right out of the box, I made sure I took multiple pictures of it and sent to the buyer so they understood. I could have played it off like there was no issue but that's not who I am.

I understand a dusty figure doesn't seem like a major issue, but when it's caked on in panels that are folded in... it tells you it's not maintained. When it's a figure that's hard to come by and doesn't usually come in a completed status it makes it harder to turn the figure down as I've been searching for a while. I'm not expecting perfection, that being said I have dealt with multiple board members, who's figures you could eat off of they are so clean..... you guys know who you are!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
No, what I'm saying is that one should assume anything advertised is probably exaggerated to some degree be it intentionally or from a different understanding of definitions. And once a buyer gets that, ask questions. Be specific. And if it's not as advertised when you see it, then use that inspection to either renegotiate or decline to buy the damn thing.
Handing over cash then playing the victim is just lame imo.
And I say "playing the victim" because 2.5 hours to clean a toy is just as big an embellishment as saying a figure is mint, if it's already opened and displayed
BigWillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #23
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

I already spend 2.5 hours to clean a single and dirty figure myself (Powermaster Prime)!
I purchased a lot (pack) of G1 figures recently and must have spent more than 4 hours to clean them all!
Surprisingly, dust (heavy stick dust) won't show on pictures.
-Only facts, no opinions.
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
mrluthor
Robot in Disguise

As long as the figure is complete and the price is right who cares if it is a little dirty and smelly. I picked up a Piranacon a couple of weeks ago for $40. It was thrown loose in a very used old grocery bag with 2 cigarette butts as a bonus. I had to keep it outside for a couple of days after and only took about 10 minutes to clean up.
mrluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #25
BoNKerS
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluthor View Post
As long as the figure is complete and the price is right who cares if it is a little dirty and smelly. I picked up a Piranacon a couple of weeks ago for $40. It was thrown loose in a very used old grocery bag with 2 cigarette butts as a bonus. I had to keep it outside for a couple of days after and only took about 10 minutes to clean up.
Hmmm I would really... I mean REALLY care if I received a figure 2 cigarette butts in old a$$ grocery bags.

If I saw that in person I would not buy it.
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #26
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Lightly dusted figures you could blow off, sure. Heavily dusted figures that have been on display out in the open for a few years or in an environment that's heavily dusty due to pollen, pets, or an occupation that has you coming home covered in debris would definitely be harder to clean. That heavier caked on dust doesn't easily blow out or even washes out from tiny crevices from joints or smaller moulded details. You need to poke at it with something tiny and small enough to get into those corners, but not sharp enough to scratch the figure. It's really hard to find an appropriate tool get that done right and often forces a person to accept an incomplete cleaning job.
Anything you can't get with 20 minutes, rubbing alcohol a q-tip and a toothpick, I've never encountered. Even that was for value village toys, not from boardies, regardless... if it's that gross and unacceptable, OP could, you know, not accept it, not buy the figure, go home with his money, and avoid this problem altogether

Don't buy toys from filthy hoarders, you wouldn't buy anything else from their home, would you?

Just opinions
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #27
79transam
Machine War

First off... you've made some interesting points... however I take offence to the statement of "embellishment"
Well I'm sorry. I didn't realize you cleaned things with 70 lb weights strapped to your arms.

I also don't quite understand how I'm "playing the victim"
Because in order to make your complaints valid, you have to exaggerate how bad it was. Otherwise, you would have made a post explaining why you didn't buy it.

You can't bullshart a bullsharter

Last edited by 79transam; 07-21-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #28
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

I say to each their own. Some of us dislike the products we buy looking like complete crap when we do....some of us don't care.

No need to get heated about it o.o
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #29
BigWillay
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
First off... you've made some interesting points... however I take offence to the statement of "embellishment"
Well I'm sorry. I didn't realize you cleaned things with 70 lb weights strapped to your arms.

I also don't quite understand how I'm "playing the victim"
Because in order to make your complaints valid, you have to exaggerate how bad it was. Otherwise, you would have made a post explaining why you didn't buy it.

You can't bullshart a bullsharter

Confused how taking my time and doing a great job on a figure requires me having a 70lb weight on my arm... making my complaints valid.... this post was to start up a conversation in regards to the condition of figures, at TFcon a few of my buddies also picked up figures, that were extremely dusty... also being well known members, who can vouch that the Rodimus did not appear to be that bad until I got it home and had a good look at it. Again... if you go back I am self admittedly anal in regards to my figures and take pride in my collection. That's not to say other's don't I just take really good care of my stuff.

As for can't bullshart a bullsharter... I'm still confused as to what I would gain by making it out to be worse than it really was? Im not looking for any of the boardies pity or empathy.... and I'm not looking to flame on the original owner.... or try and get my money back.... and I'm not trying to be a troll or a keyboard warrior. Hence the title.... "what grinds my gears" its just a rant.... nothing more nothing less. How this has turned into a conversation about questioning my character... and truthfulness. I have many friends on here who can vouch for my level of honesty.

If you feel you need to continue to Flame on... be my guest.... whatever makes your day pass faster
BigWillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #30
79transam
Machine War

If you are so anal, how could you not tell it needed 2 and a half hours of cleaning when you looked at it to begin with?
This makes about as much sense as a watermelon in a toilet on a starry night nestled upon a hilltop with singing monkeys gathered round.