Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
WereDragon EX
Robot Master
How much does Habro Toy Store charge for shipping?

Decided to test make a test purchase at Hasbro Toy Store just in case I wanted to buy stuff from there in future and balked upon realizing that they would charge $30 for shipping to my residence. Is this "normal" for shipping costs from them? I figured that if they are going to gouge me on shipping like that, it may not be even worth it for me to try and buy a figure like Throne of the Primes there and I should try Amazon Japan instead.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
TheSwipe95
TheSwipe95
Re: How much does Habro Toy Store charge for shipping?

Unfortunately, that is normal. Meanwhile, to ship within the states is only $5-$10.
TheSwipe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
TRUCKvsGUN

HTS has jerked me around pretty hard in the past. Throne of the Primes is up on AE, HLJ etc. You're better off getting him there, imo.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKvsGUN View Post
HTS has jerked me around pretty hard in the past. Throne of the Primes is up on AE, HLJ etc. You're better off getting him there, imo.

Yeah, I kinda guessed that it wouldn't be even worth it to buy Throne of the Primes from HTS even if I could get the opportunity to purchase one, which itself I doubted since so many people seem to want that figure and will probably snap it up once it becomes available at HTS.

Seems like it would be much cheaper overall to get the figure off Amazon Japan (did a test purchase of it there as well). Some other sellers seem to be selling it on Amazon Japan, but they don't appear to ship to my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwipe95 View Post
Unfortunately, that is normal. Meanwhile, to ship within the states is only $5-$10.

That was what I figured. Dunno why that's the case though, since other sellers don't seem to charge like that for shipping over the border.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
theoneyouknowleast
Classic

Other options would include shipping to border amd picking it up if you live close enough or use a parcel forwarding service.

Or just preorder the takara pp43 from your preferred vendor.

My Sales Thread
My Wanted Thread
My Feedback Thread

Looking For: Nothing Right Now
theoneyouknowleast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneyouknowleast View Post
Other options would include shipping to border amd picking it up if you live close enough or use a parcel forwarding service.

Or just preorder the takara pp43 from your preferred vendor.

I'm not connected to such a service, unfortunately. I know some Japanese sellers won't ship outside Japan and/or require a Japanese credit/debit card be used to pay for purchases, but I don't have a Japanses address or any such card. I know some people purchase form Japanese retailers and have the item shipped to a trusted friend or acquaintance who lives in Japan, who then ships it to them, but I don't have such a connection.

I'll probably have to resort to purchasing the figure direct form Amazon Japan, since I know they will ship to my residence, or from say, A3U and then picking it up at their store, though I'm trying to figure out what's cheaper/more convenient for me, likely the former.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
Yeah, I kinda guessed that it wouldn't be even worth it to buy Throne of the Primes from HTS even if I could get the opportunity to purchase one, which itself I doubted since so many people seem to want that figure and will probably snap it up once it becomes available at HTS.

Seems like it would be much cheaper overall to get the figure off Amazon Japan (did a test purchase of it there as well). Some other sellers seem to be selling it on Amazon Japan, but they don't appear to ship to my area.

That was what I figured. Dunno why that's the case though, since other sellers don't seem to charge like that for shipping over the border.
It's two fold really, Hasbro Toy Store would be competing directly with Hasbro Canada if they charged less for shipping over the boarder... So to avoid competing with themselves they treat Canada as an International Shipping destination.

What I don't get is WHY THE FUCK Hasbro Canada doesn't have an online presence for shipping direct in Canada. I mean if they can compete directly in the US through Hasbro Toy Store in the USA with regular retail outlets why the hell doesn't Hasbro Canada also operate a HTS.ca site for all the exclusives and stuff?

It makes no fucking sense to exclude us as it excludes direct profits with no middle-men from local retailers or e-tailers picking up SDCC exclusives and flipping them. I mean they could easily make a lot of buck if they offered a similar service for Canadians, but HTS while capable of shipping worldwide is directly tied in with a US location physically and so makes for a really limited option for profits.

Hasbro just has no god damned business sense when it comes to e-tailing.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
It's two fold really, Hasbro Toy Store would be competing directly with Hasbro Canada if they charged less for shipping over the boarder... So to avoid competing with themselves they treat Canada as an International Shipping destination.

What I don't get is WHY THE FUCK Hasbro Canada doesn't have an online presence for shipping direct in Canada. I mean if they can compete directly in the US through Hasbro Toy Store in the USA with regular retail outlets why the hell doesn't Hasbro Canada also operate a HTS.ca site for all the exclusives and stuff?

It makes no fucking sense to exclude us as it excludes direct profits with no middle-men from local retailers or e-tailers picking up SDCC exclusives and flipping them. I mean they could easily make a lot of buck if they offered a similar service for Canadians, but HTS while capable of shipping worldwide is directly tied in with a US location physically and so makes for a really limited option for profits.

Good points, but despite their customer service already being in Quebec, I'd venture to add that it's also because: 1) they don't have the necessary Canadian infrastructure (both physical and IT related) to handle an online presence (i.e.:take orders, ship out orders, handle customer support, etc...) or 2) they refuse to incur the capital expenditures needed to due to the size of the Canadian market relative to potential online revenue (we're not the American market) - it may cost them more to do this then keep the status quo going. 3) Another thing is that they have to educate the Canadian public to start shopping on an HTS.ca site, which would require some marketing, and almost be a difficult task to suddenly change consumer's habits. 4) More so they'd have to compete with their partners amazon.ca/walmart.ca, for the same small market, which they probably have established distribution deals with already.

Last edited by joelones; 08-09-2018 at 04:43 PM.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post

I suppose Hasbro Canada doesn't seem to think we are worth the effort of catering to with an online presence, which is rather unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelones View Post
Good points, but despite their customer service already being in Quebec, I'd venture to add that it's also because: 1) they don't have the necessary Canadian infrastructure (both physical and IT related) to handle an online presence (i.e.:take orders, ship out orders, handle customer support, etc...) or 2) they refuse to incur the capital expenditures needed to due to the size of the Canadian market relative to potential online revenue (we're not the American market) - it may cost them more to do this then keep the status quo going. 3) Another thing is that they have to educated the Canadian public to start shopping on an HTS.ca site, which would some marketing, and almost be a difficult task to suddenly change consumer's habits. 4) More so they'd have to compete with their partners amazon.ca/walmart.ca, for the same small market, which they probably have established distribution deals with already.

The problem there is that even said middlemen like Amazon or Wal-Mart also seem to have difficulty stocking certain items themselves on their websites and instead offer other third parties/scalpers who artificially inflate the price. It wouldn't be such a big deal if said middlemen can get their stocking act together, but as it stands, it seems like we get the shaft.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
The problem there is that even said middlemen like Amazon or Wal-Mart also seem to have difficulty stocking certain items themselves on their websites and instead offer other third parties/scalpers who artificially inflate the price. It wouldn't be such a big deal if said middlemen can get their stocking act together, but as it stands, it seems like we get the shaft.
Amen to that! Distribution wise, at least for some Transformers lines, it has utterly been garbage for us. But it'll probably be worse with a HTS.ca, same crappy stock levels now distributed across another e-tailer...I'd bet even if they have a HTS.ca site, the Transformers section would always be barren. That or you'll have scalpers program their bots to buy up all the sought after items. Ultimately it'll just be another source of anger for us fans, do we need another site to bitch after?

Last edited by joelones; 08-09-2018 at 04:49 PM.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote