Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Thumbs up Hasbro vs. Takara Masterpiece Sunstorm

Picked up both of these recently. Here are my thoughts and some photos.

Honestly, both figures were not that impressive when I opened the box. But when I put them into display lighting conditions, wow, these figures are some of the most photogenic figures I own. They display beautifully. That yellow... just wow.

Both MPs are essentially the same, just painted differently. Hasbro MP-05 Sunstorm and Takara MP-11S are both done in the newer seeker mould. I'm really not a fan of the old or the new seeker mould, but you get used to them.

All in all, I have to say that Hasbro has done an excellent job of this figure. I found the figure to have very tight joints and a great representation of the Sunstorm character. The box is certainly misleading though. The picture shows a Sunstorm in the old MP-3 mould and also in a battle damage look. I here that was a custom art. Hasbro is getting lazy...sheesh!

As far as quality differences, plastics wise and the feel of the figure, same. I do have to say the Takara figure has some extra paint apps but most were concentrated on the underside of the jet mode or arms. Hasbro does not paint the yellow plastic, whereas Takara has (see photo). It's really not that noticeable of a difference. Also, Takara has some extra Decepticon logos. By the way the Decepticon logos on the wings are facing the same way for both. Hasbro decided to go with the Takara logo orientation this time around. I prefer it this way, like the cartoon.

The yellows are an exact match on both figures. Takara's figure is a more orange theme overall, whereas Hasbro is more yellow themed. Takaras main paint on the wing, transitions to orange whereas Hasbro is merely metallic paint in a flame effect on yellow plastic. It actually looks really nice and hardly noticeable. Takara also has a flame effect, but not on the wings and not done in metallic paint. They are on the arms and the white pieces beside the cockpit (in jet mode).

The one thing I really like about the Hasbro version is finally I have some missile racks for Takara Sunstorm. They are a perfect match for him.

Ok, let's get to the MacDonald reference for the Hasbro paint scheme. Personally, I just dont see it. I feel like a Big Mac all of a sudden though...But seriously, I do agree Hasbro could have chosen a better red, but whatever, still looks good to me. If I could change one thing on the figure it's I would not have the knees painted red. But that's just a minor nitpick. The yellow colour and the flame effects are the star of the show anyways.

The brown head and null rays on the Hasbro is kind of a light bronze done in metallic paint, expect for the toes. Hasbro cheeped out and didnt do those in metallic paint, but neither did Takara. Overall,I think the brown/bronze paint apps work.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Honestly, I can't fault the Hasbro figure based on lack of paint apps, considering its about $70 cheaper than MP-11S at the moment. It actually offers more paint apps in some areas and the metallic flame effect is nicer IMO.

Which would I choose? Undecided still.

Robot Mode

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 08-05-2014 at 12:13 AM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
Re: Hasbro vs. Takara Masterpiece Sunstorm

Jet Mode

Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
MULTIPLEX

Takara MP-11S showing off his new missile racks

Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
protoform_ironhide
Commander

I think Takara looks better, but I am not paying double for the same figure. I am sure a little paint can fix everything if I want to later on, so I am just sticking with Hasbro. Good to hear that there isn't much quality issue on the Hasbro Sunstorm, that's my biggest concern. Thanks for the review
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
MULTIPLEX

Oh there is one QC issue on mine. I can not get the jet to display on the stand that comes in the box. It just will not fit.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Can anyone else see the pics? I tried on my phone and pc (chrome & IE) and there isn't an image. Wondering if it's just me and really want to see them
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
jtkv
Robot Master

Thanks for the pics...

Personally, I feel the Hasbro version looks better in jet mode, while the Takara version looks cleaner in Robot mode. But if I was to buy, I'd go with the cheaper version...
For Sale List thread
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
DuG
Titanium

Thanx for this post and great comparison photos. I'm still waiting for my Hasbro Sunstorms to come in. I'll wait until I receive them in hand before I decide which one I like the most but judging from your pictures they both have great features.
I ended up buying extra missile pods from a Hasbro Starscream to use on my Takara Sunstorm.
I'm curious as this is the first MP Seeker to use a different coloured helmet if this is just a one off or if this is going to be done again in the future.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
pside9
Beasty

Great comparison shots. Very appreciated.

I'm loving the Takara version not just because of the different colour scheme (we can fix that on the Hasbro toy with some paint) but because of the more amber tinted canopy.
pside9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I like Hasbro Sunstorm's head color, it makes Sunstorm looks different than other seekers we already have.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is online now   Reply With Quote