Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Bluewolf77
Generation 2
A simple Question

This is a simple question if anyone minds in busting their brains? The question is: Is CW Ultra Magus worth picking up or is he just one of those figures to leave on the shelf? (fyi price is around $60 cda)
Bluewolf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
timcrook
Cybertron
Re: A simple Question

Is this because leader class Jetfire was $30 last year?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Yep. He's awesome. Nice alt mode, fun transformation and great robot mode. Only downfall is his derpy weapons. Gun/hammer is weird.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Jones
Machine War

I picked him up on the weekend during TRU's 20% off sale. That price drop made it much more in line with what I felt it should be. Honestly, I really like them, but $60 for the current CW leader figures is definitely higher than it should be. These figures should really be $45-$50 max.

That said - CW Magnus is a great figure. I'd say if you don't have/can't afford MP Magnus, he's a fantastic stand-in and looks great with the rest of the '86 movie cast figures like deluxe Kup, Arcee, and Blurr, and voyager Springer.

My only complaint - His hands aren't great at holding his guns. I do like having some articulation to his fingers, even if they move as a big mitt, but the hold on his weapons is way too loose. There should have been a tab to secure them in his palms like the MP figures have, or just make them a standard 5mm port like Megatron's were.
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

I wouldn't pay money for it but I did end up owning one anyway. My friend complained to Hasbro about the quality control on his Combiner Wars Prowl so they sent him an Ultra Magnus as an apology. He already had it so he gave it to me.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

I'd say it's a great figure, especially if you like the IDW aesthetic. I had no problem paying retail for it.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prime A Lot View Post
I wouldn't pay money for it but I did end up owning one anyway. My friend complained to Hasbro about the quality control on his Combiner Wars Prowl so they sent him an Ultra Magnus as an apology. He already had it so he gave it to me.
My crystal ball sees the near future and in it are complaints about QC to Hasbro in droves.....
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Shock
Generation 2

This is possibly the best Ultra Magnus figure that has ever been produced outside of Masterpiece Ultra Magnus.

That said, I find the Minimus Ambus gimmick silly and it ruined Magnus' neck joint as it barely moves and only turns. I need my Magnus to be able to look down. I'm hoping there will be a 3rd party fix.

The weapons are also pretty lame and he doesn't hold them well. I don't read the comics and have no association with him and hammers. I threw them away somewhere and just display the figure.

Vehicle mode is tight, it's really solid and fun. It's one of the more amazing alt modes IMHO because you can't believe the figure turns into something so completely different and it holds together strongly and is a surprisingly compact package.

I have to hunt down my G1 UM missile pods to throw on his shoulders. Magnus and Devastator are the only CW toys I will own so the price point isn't bad for me. These are the only toys that feel that they respect G1 to me. The rest of the line is just strangely chunky or doing odd things with classic characters.
Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
tusko
Classic

I think its a great representation of Ultra Magnus. If you have a CHUG collection and are looking to complete the 1986 cast he's good!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #10
Gumby
Beasty

Absolutely worth picking up (especially if you can snag him on sale. As someone pointed out, these figures should be, at most, $45 bucks tops.)
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote