Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #2521
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt
Re: The Masterpiece Appreciation and Speculation Thread

Nintendo stopped directly competing with Sony and Microsoft years ago. They have a niche and apparently it works for them.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #2522
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I think there isn't a Bay movie for a while so the designers have lots of extra time on their hands

But really, there still isn't much of a push for new molds. It's mostly repaints.
It's my understanding that there is a separate team of designers for the MP figures than there is for the other offerings including movies so the movies shouldn't influence the out put of MP designs.

Repaints/remolds are well expected by all of us as it's a way for them to generate easy income to help fund development of new designs.

Many of us have noticed over the past few years that Takara has increased the number of offerings. What I'm curious about is wheatear the increased number of offerings is a business strategy to get more of the collectors disposable income and keep it away from competitors.

If so I believe that it is a great strategy as the market is getting over saturated with MP styled offeyings and many of the collectors would rather spend their money on an official release.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #2523
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Nintendo stopped directly competing with Sony and Microsoft years ago. They have a niche and apparently it works for them.
Thanks for the verification!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #2524
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Shogo Hasui, the most notable MP designer, was pulled off MP team to design AOE stuff right at the height of the success of the MP line. He also designed CW Devastator.

I don't think Takara gives a crap about the MP line. It's only a small percentage of their profit, which is all the kids toys. If they have an MP strategy it's not to profit. MP line is to just keep us old farts reeled in cause many of us have kids.

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 11-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #2525
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
Shogo Hasui, the most notable MP designer, was pulled off MP team to design AOE stuff right at the height of the success of the MP line. He also designed CW Devastator.

I don't think Takara gives a crap about the MP line. It's only a small percentage of their profit, which is all the kids toys. If they have an MP strategy it's not to profit. MP line is to just keep us old farts reeled in cause many of us have kids.
When he was pulled from the MP line did they not get the old MP designer back to continue to work on the MPs? I remember that being issue.

Personally I think they care a lot about the MP line as they continue to crest new designs and offerings to offer their customers.

I do not agree that the MP strategy is to not profit as they continue to creat new designs. If they were not making money from the line then it would have been canceled a long time ago as the prusuit of profit is the main underlying reason any company offers a product or service.

In addition the MP line has expanded from Japan to North America, Austrailia, the Chinese market, and other markets around the world. If a product line was not successful (making a profit) then they would not be expanding into other markets around the world to meet the demand.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #2526
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
It's my understanding that there is a separate team of designers for the MP figures than there is for the other offerings including movies so the movies shouldn't influence the out put of MP designs.
This is actually my point. The MP designers are NOT separate. It seems there is just a pool of designers and they are pulled to where they are needed the most. If Takara had a MP design team, would it not make sense to have Mr. Starscream lead it permanently? I mean considering he obviously has a passion for the MP line and the current scale is his vision and brainchild. He must have been crushed when they pulled him away to make AOE crap after he basically created some of the greatest Transformers ever built like MP-10, Lambors, Datsuns, Soundwave... In interviews he expressed his interest in MP Combiners, especially Bruticus. He had high hopes and lots of ideas, including a V2 Destron Leader

I hope one day Takara has a more prominent and transparent MP strategy cause I feel they are just barely pushing these out. But having mutiple designers may not be a bad approach. Kobayashi is more interested in gimmicks and accessories and the whole toy experience. Hasui's designs are more about his vision of recreating an in scale G1 cast. Show accuracy.

What I'd like to see is both them head up the MP design division as I feel both have proven themselves.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #2527
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
This is actually my point. The MP designers are NOT separate. It seems there is just a pool of designers and they are pulled to where they are needed the most. If Takara had a MP design team, would it not make sense to have Mr. Starscream lead it permanently? I mean considering he obviously has a passion for the MP line and the current scale is his vision and brainchild. He must have been crushed when they pulled him away to make AOE crap after he basically created some of the greatest Transformers ever built like MP-10, Lambors, Datsuns, Soundwave... In interviews he expressed his interest in MP Combiners, especially Bruticus. He had high hopes and lots of ideas, including a V2 Destron Leader

I hope one day Takara has a more prominent and transparent MP strategy cause I feel they are just barely pushing these out. But having mutiple designers may not be a bad approach. Kobayashi is more interested in gimmicks and accessories and the whole toy experience. Hasui's designs are more about his vision of recreating an in scale G1 cast. Show accuracy.

What I'd like to see is both them head up the MP design division as I feel both have proven themselves.
I can only imagine what would be the result if they were to work together on a single figure.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #2528
Rev
Addict

This has been discussed many times and people have varying opinions. Really all we can do is guess. My feeling is that they don't compete with third party companies but they do pay attention. If they see that Quakewave is selling like hot cakes they have an easy time justifying making a Shockwave figure. I don't think the Takara execs pay much attention to third party companies but those working on the mP line are aware and they pass it on up. That's my guess.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #2529
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
I can only imagine what would be the result if they were to work together on a single figure.
They did, sort of. MP-22. And you see how awesome Magnus turned out.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #2530
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
They did, sort of. MP-22. And you see how awesome Magnus turned out.
MP11 as well sort of.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote