Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Jones
Machine War
Re: First Look at Transformers 5 Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
Are you suggesting that the opposite, failure at the box office, would make Hasbro less greedy and less cheap?
Exactly. People calling for the death of the existing TF franchise seem to ignore the implications of what that would actually mean.

They seem to think that a horrible box office draw will magically result in them getting the TF movie they've always dreamed of. A far more likely outcome of a box office failure is a massive hiatus, or at best a serious downsize of it.

Here's the reality, even if people choose to ignore it:

Every aspect of the TF franchise is different than the other pieces.

G1
1986 movie
Beast Wars
Beast Machines
Unicron Trilogy
Animated
Prime
Marvel Comics
IDW Comics
WFC & FOC games
etc, etc, etc...

The list is long and varied. And here's the thing: Not all fans love everything, and not all fans HAVE TO love everything. Pick and choose what speaks to you as a fan, but I will never EVER understand the hostility and malice that some fans have to pieces of the franchise that they don't like or agree with.

I don't like Beast Wars. Never have. But I'll be damned if I'm ever going to tell a Beast Wars fan that the show sucks and they're stupid for liking it and it ruined the franchise. No way. You like it? AWESOME.

You like the live action movies? AWESOME. Go get your Bayverse TF on!

You like Unicron Trilogy? AWESOME. Go get your anime-style TF on!

Enough with the hate. It's insulting to the rest of the fandom.
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the opposite, failure at the box office, would make Hasbro less greedy and less cheap?
Nope. But failure at Box office would make Paramount rethink the movie series.

Batman & Robin, Die Another Day and the Star Wars Prequels were lousy movies. They didn't kill Batman, James Bond and Star Wars, but they were bad enough for WB and MGM to put the series aside for years, then reboot and we got Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, Daniel Craig's new James Bond and Ep VII.

So Hasbro and Paramount can keep hiring Bay to make more TF movies until people are fed up with it.

Then, maybe - just maybe - we'll get a reboot.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
TRUCKvsGUN

Failure at the box office doesn't cause studios to rethink series, it causes them to cancel them entirely. These are investors we're talking about, and they will not throw away good money after bad.

Just look at Spider-Man 3. It was terrible, and we got better Spider-Man movies after that, but only because Spider-Man 3 did 900 million.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
elburrito
Animated

Completely agree with this. The massive successes of the 1st 4 Transformers movies goes a long way in assisting toy developers (including Takara's engineers) to convince their funding sources that particular toys would sell. Takara may not be involved in movie toys, but Masterpiece TF development has definitely increased since the live-action movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
Exactly. People calling for the death of the existing TF franchise seem to ignore the implications of what that would actually mean.

They seem to think that a horrible box office draw will magically result in them getting the TF movie they've always dreamed of. A far more likely outcome of a box office failure is a massive hiatus, or at best a serious downsize of it.

Here's the reality, even if people choose to ignore it:

Every aspect of the TF franchise is different than the other pieces.

G1
1986 movie
Beast Wars
Beast Machines
Unicron Trilogy
Animated
Prime
Marvel Comics
IDW Comics
WFC & FOC games
etc, etc, etc...

The list is long and varied. And here's the thing: Not all fans love everything, and not all fans HAVE TO love everything. Pick and choose what speaks to you as a fan, but I will never EVER understand the hostility and malice that some fans have to pieces of the franchise that they don't like or agree with.

I don't like Beast Wars. Never have. But I'll be damned if I'm ever going to tell a Beast Wars fan that the show sucks and they're stupid for liking it and it ruined the franchise. No way. You like it? AWESOME.

You like the live action movies? AWESOME. Go get your Bayverse TF on!

You like Unicron Trilogy? AWESOME. Go get your anime-style TF on!

Enough with the hate. It's insulting to the rest of the fandom.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Failure at the box office doesn't cause studios to rethink series, it causes them to cancel them entirely. These are investors we're talking about, and they will not throw away good money after bad.

Just look at Spider-Man 3. It was terrible, and we got better Spider-Man movies after that, but only because Spider-Man 3 did 900 million.
Nope again. I used to work with movie studios. They don't even cancel a series entirely. They just reboot and reboot again. That's why FOX rebooted/retconned X-men after The Last Stand with Days of Future Past while they still have the X-men license from Marvel. And that is also why we get no new idea but get another lousy Terminator movie, another Alien movie, another Predator movie...

Also most blockbusters these days are all about selling merchandises. Hasbro, Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Disney..they make more sales from selling merchandises than from tickets sales at box office.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
TRUCKvsGUN

Dude, X-Men The Last Stand cost 168 million to make and grossed 460 million, they tripled their investment. Your argument doesn't hold.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Janitor
Classic

I'm seeing a lot of Straw Men tossed about here, let's knock it off.

Gotta agree with Darth Cylon 100%. I myself will wait on reviews for T5 (after being mightily disappointed by TF 2/3/4) and if they're sub-par too I'll be sitting this one out.

I'm pretty sure the argument from most level-headed TF fans is not for the outright "death" of the movie franchise altogether, more like we want better quality movies. And pretty much the only way for the masses to speak out is with our wallets.
Let's not shit ourselves, while one may like every single Bay TF film, they're crap for the most part [you can like Scary Movie 5 more than The Godfather, but that doesn't make SM5 the better film.] And no I'm not saying TF films need to be Godfather either, simply try bring it back to the level of the first (2007) TF film when Bay was on a much tighter leash and it was at least a "good enough" popcorn flick.

Also: more movies/bigger box office does not automatically = better toys either. Just look at the decline in toys from
ROTF -> DOTM -> AOE
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Dude, X-Men The Last Stand cost 168 million to make and grossed 460 million, they tripled their investment. Your argument doesn't hold.
Dude you are looking at top line sales only. According to Box Office Mojo:

X2: X-Men United
Production Budget: $110 million
Domestic Total Gross: $214,949,694
Total Worldwide: $407,711,549

X-Men: The Last Stand
Production Budget: $210 million
Domestic Total Gross: $234,362,462
Total Worldwide: $459,359,555

Production cost is doubled, but gross sale is nearly the same (mainly due to high tickets price). To the studio (FOX) bean counters X3 is a loss compared to X2.

Whatever the case, I am sure TF5 will make money but can't tell by how much. I myself just won't go watch it. I don't hate Bayformers. But I'd say I have better taste in my choice of movies.

Also as the latest release dates stand, TF5 (June 23, 2017) will surely take top spot on opening week but then will have a tough time facing competitions in the following weeks from Despicable Me 3, Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming, and War for the Planet of the Apes (more reboot sequels). We'll have to see how TF5 holds out.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 05-17-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

i think we can all at least agree that this argument is pointless and regardless who's even close to right, the TF movies will continue on as they are, because they make a lot of money and thats what matters to the people creating this shit.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #20
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Whats with the Purple Eyes on OP, going a little Nemisis or unicron ?

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection

Last edited by Rodimus Prime1; 05-17-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote