Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #251
tusko
Classic
Re: Repair Thread

We'll I'm thinking of installing a shaped washer for strength... but I agree with you. I think its Kijiji and value village time for Junker parts. Sadly I think the toy was bent right out of the box. It never transformed the way it should.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #252
MaxArel
RUN IT'S DREADWING
Send a message via MSN to MaxArel

My HA Soundwave got HUGE stress marks on his antennea/ears things. They appeared really suddenly, to the point where one is starting to bend. What do I do to at least remove the stress marks? PM me please of you know.

MaxArel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #253
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

This has to do with Gold Plastic and Shiny Paint on the toys from the Beast Wars and Beast Machines lines. I've recently been doing some reorganizing and re-shelving of my collection and as a result, have been forced to Transform some figures from those lines due to spacing issues on the shelves.

First, I've had a few figures break on areas which are made of Gold Plastic (I'm not even going to mention BW TM Megatron). One problem is with Beast Machines Striker. You can see below two parts have broken: on the left being a peg broken off and stuck in a hole; on the right, the part that clips to the ball joint has broken off.

I've had a similar issue with the 10th Ann. BW Dinobot. Here, the hole in his hand where one clips his weapon into place has broken on the rim.

Can anything be done to prevent or avoid breakage with figures like these who have Gold Plastic? Also, can anything be done to repair breakages such as these?

My second issue is regarding chrome or Shiny Paint (I don't know the appropriate term). Bottom line is that its chipping and/or flaking off on many figures from the BW and BM lines. Here's one of my worst, BW TM Rattrap:

There are a few other figures that this is happening too like BM Ultra Jetstorm. And I just started to see it on Battle Unicorn's ax:

As with my previous questions, is there any way to avoid or even repair such things?

My only thought is to take every figure that has Gold Plastic and\or Shiny Paint off the shelves and vacuum-sealing them into permanent storage. Which would be a ridiculous shame.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #254
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Fine, I'll be the bearer of bad news...

There's no repair for either problem.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #255
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Fine, I'll be the bearer of bad news...

There's no repair for either problem.
Sadly, he's right. GPS & Vacuum Metalizing can't be fixed.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Nemesis Predaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #256
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I would be surprised if the vacuum metalized "chrome" was chipping or flaking off while sitting on the shelf...usually such wear is associated with rubbing of pieces. then again I don't have many so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #257
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Ok thanks for letting me know guys. Wow that really sucks. I'm looking at toys from other lines now and am wondering if the same issues are inevitable. My RiD collection for instance has a lot of that chrome. Magnus' beautiful grill for example. Nothing is flaked at the moment but is it the same situation, or something that was unique (?) to the BW and BM lines?

Yeah Bruticus82, they have simply been on shelves all these years. Never played with, rarely moved or transformed. No exposure to moisture or sunlight. Only heavy exposure to household dust.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #258
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Galvatron View Post
Ok thanks for letting me know guys. Wow that really sucks. I'm looking at toys from other lines now and am wondering if the same issues are inevitable. My RiD collection for instance has a lot of that chrome. Magnus' beautiful grill for example. Nothing is flaked at the moment but is it the same situation, or something that was unique (?) to the BW and BM lines?

Yeah Bruticus82, they have simply been on shelves all these years. Never played with, rarely moved or transformed. No exposure to moisture or sunlight. Only heavy exposure to household dust.
So, to revive this thread slightly, not all toys have issues (chrome from G1 doesn't seem to flake like beastwars does, and some plastics don't fall apart like gold plastic does.

I do believe Protoman was having the same problem you were with beast wars figures flaking their chrome bits, and like you, he has mostly had them in storage and was dusting them when it started coming off.

I'm not sure if it's a universal problem, but it's definitely widespread.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #259
justprime
Animated

The goldplastic as well as other colors have the brittle, get brittle and continue to do so it can be repaired with lepages 2 part plastic repair (primer and the bonding agent and is a permanate repair both strong and durable) or automotive industrial adheasive used to repair plastics on cars your local body shop supplier will be able to help here the only issue is that gold plastic may brake past the repair as far as peg holes enlarge them carfully to relieve the stress point as for the chrom flaking what seems to have worked for me was to spray a light coat of clear overtop to seal it, this is still in testing but has worked so far,.. pearl paints can be used as a touch up.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #260
sikkbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I would be surprised if the vacuum metalized "chrome" was chipping or flaking off while sitting on the shelf...usually such wear is associated with rubbing of pieces. then again I don't have many so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
this is actually why the only one i have any intrest is the Optimal oPtimus...
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote