Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
joshimus
Metroplex
My review of my recent TF haul, FOC, Prid Rumble, Vehicon and Green Giant

So, I would say I had an expensive week with all the toys I got but I fully paid for Green Giant last month or the month before so that kinda helps offset my purchases this month...kinda...Either way, pretty good haul this week.

So while I won't post pics detailing each figure, figured since I am bored at work that I would talk about them and review them. I'm BORED so if you are too, enjoy the read. Or hate it. Whatever.

So let's start with FOC:
Prime - I'll be honest I was never a big fan of his redesign by Highmoon Studios. I didn't hate it but he felt too tankish and too blocky that it didn't work for me. That said the game was fun and I collect Primes. I have a looooong shelf dedicated to Prime.
Some Pros:
Truck mode is nice, robot mode is okay. Transformation is decent. Gun is weird but nice.
Cons:
First and foremost, his robot height BLOWS. Not saying he needs to be a voyager but considering Jazz is taller it makes the leader of the Autobots feel...off. Not a fan of Auto-transform either. I like to do the work myself thank you very much
Pros:
Jazz - Much like Prime he kinda is what it is. Being a Jazz fan as well I had to buy this version even if I find it a bit...could be better. His overall look and design I like and I am looking into swapping his leg wheels with his chest ones to look a bit more accurate. Maybe like a snap on kind of thing. I dunno yet.
Cons:
Again auto-transform really annoys me when transforming him. His legs wheels in his chest. His leg wheels being what they are.
Shockwave
Pros:
Nice vehicle mode and robot mode. Transformation is pretty good and not hindered by auto-transform.
I do like his robot look and the optional gun hand with his weapon.
Cons:
Okay, so maybe I'm one of the few that doesn't think this toy is awesome. Not that I hate him, I don't, but he isn't amazing. His vehicle mode is okay and that's kinda how I look at the figure. He's just "okay". Pretty much the same as the other 2.

Overall I do like the look of all 3 bots in both modes, I don't hate them but Hasbro could have done better with them. Would liked Prime to be taller in bot mode and to have a peg to centre his gun in vehicle mode. Jazz's auto-transform really gets in the way of fun transforming. Shockwave's gun weapon part always slides off which I find irritating. Also on mine when you lock that weapon onto his forearm it takes a LOT to take it off. Glad it stays in well but could be nice to take it off without thinking you are gonna break it.
Overall, the FOC stuff I give a pushing 3/5. Not bad, not good, just okay.

TF Prime Deluxes:
Vehicon - I never did find the FE so I can't compare the two. From the pics I have seen this Prid version is a bit less kibblely which is nicer. Vehicon has a great vehicle mode, pretty intuitive transformation and a nice robot mode. He isn't hindered by auto-transform either. He's just very well put together and as a package makes me want to buy a few more...on sale IF we ever see them in mass retail. Makes me wish I pre-ordered the Jet version Vehicon but such is life.
Rumble - Rumble is an interesting figure. His car mode is kind of average, nothing special. Where he shines is his robot form. While not very g1-esque, it really doesn't matter cause this ain't g1 anyway. It's another iteration of the character and this little bot is pretty nifty. He has 2 weapon gattling guns. Attached to his hands they make great slammers. If you look closely on his back, the 2 car splits behind the shoulders have missile molding giving him that G1 backpack missiles he has. Could have used some silver paint to show it off a bit more but they are there. His face is a bit primish for me with the mask. I think I woulda preferred a smirk of some sort. His transformation is fairly simple but fun. By far of all the deluxes, Vehicon and Rumble stand apart as being better.

The downsides of the Prid deluxes:
1) Hasbro now adds a DVD which either can be thrown away or used as a coaster. Honestly, a waste imo.
2) While not fully a con, Rumbles weapons would have been cooler if they had a lever to extend the barrel giving it the slamming action. Still, his weapons are really nice, but would been cooler if!
3) My Rumble was slightly broken. The one wheel is connected by plastic to the car body, 4 points split so not screwed into place or with a pin. The one point came broken so the wheel falls off easily. I can fix it with a heat soldering tool, but I shouldn't have to. Still, it's a QC issue more than a con
4) While I really like how Vehicons car body parts fold into becoming the legs, transforming to car mode is a bit irritating with getting all the peg pieces into place.
That's it for those 2. Honestly, I don't mind that I paid 21.99+ tax for those 2. Most of my toys are bought on sale so these 2 being pretty good toys, I didn't mind the comic shop price. Air Arachnid at the price was a BAD investment. Horrible figure with cyberverse basic transformation. Actually I think some cyberverse figs have more detailed transformation than her. Rumble and Vehicon though were worth it.

Onto the Giant
Scrapper, Mixmaster, Scavenger, Hoist, Hook and Longhaul. Wow! Gotta say I am IMPRESSED!
I have 2 "White Whales" for toys, things I always wanted and never thought would see. One is a larger more accurate and articulated Devestator the other the Metal Gear Rex. So now that 2 companies are making that a reality I had to give in. So far I am very impressed. The Green Giant Devestator is fantastic.

Now, I have been skeptical with 3rd party toys since...always really. The idea of me dropping large cash on this set took me a long time to consider. It was between Hercules and Green Giant and in the end, price and looks won me over.
So I am on Automatons site constantly checking out Green Giant and one day I hit the pre-order button, my heart sank with the whole "oh shit I just bought that" hit me. (had the same feeling with the MGS Rex) Now that I have the figure, NO regrets.

The construction vehicles look great and they look great in robot mode. I would say Scrappers bot mode is my favorite.
Their transformations are simplistically complex. Meaning that they aren't hard to do per se, but there is a bit of complexity in the design that makes them interesting.
I really dig the locking mechanism with the arms. My only complaint is Hooks button is hard to get in there and press but oh well. It's still nice to know the limbs won't just fall off.
I like that they added a piece on Scrapper, for the back of him in leg form, to help keep him sturdy.
The gun is interesting in that it all comes apart to be weapons for the bot modes.
Overall all I can really say is that I am very glad I went ahead and bought this figure. My concerns of 3rd party toys being to KO in quality is what scared me. This figure feels solid.
Now, obviously I don't and won't have Herc to compare the two, but if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Herc, I recommend Green Giant. Solid 9/10 Nothing ever really gets a 10/10 unless I am beyond amazed.

For the money I paid and the value of the figure I have no regrets buying Green Giant. I can't say that a lot about most TF toys so it's nice when an expensive one is not a disappointment.

Thoughts?
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote