Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
chin0bo
Generation 1
Transformers Collection Megatron ( G1 reissue)

Hey guys gotta question hopefully you guys can help me with.
If i were to purchase a reissue g1 megatron from the Usa without an orange cap would it be held at customs or shipped back to seller? cause of those safety and gun replica laws.
i know sellers like bbts are required to put the orange cap on it and so on.
Does the law apply to say a seller (ebay, private seller) in the USA who ships without a cap to Canada?

thanks!
chin0bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
laffy
Crossover
Re: Transformers Collection Megatron ( G1 reissue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chin0bo View Post
Hey guys gotta question hopefully you guys can help me with.
If i were to purchase a reissue g1 megatron from the Usa without an orange cap would it be held at customs or shipped back to seller? cause of those safety and gun replica laws.
i know sellers like bbts are required to put the orange cap on it and so on.
Does the law apply to say a seller (ebay, private seller) in the USA who ships without a cap to Canada?

thanks!
It would be a chance your taking, If customs decides to open it you will likely be in some heat... if it where me i would NOT take the chance at shipping it.. unless it has a gun plug and even this may not always help.. im saying i would not ship if i where you buy within the country, much safer
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Bruticus
B&K Collectables

It's actually not Canada Customs that have the issue with toy guns, but US Customs... perfectly legal to have a toy in Canada without the orange cap. Seeing the destination is Canada, US Customs does not touch it...the package won't be x-rayed until it gets to Canada Customs and while they could open the parcel (if it's sealed, they never usually open the inner package), but by that time, as long as they mention it's a toy on the declaration, you should be fine.

-----------------------------------------------------
Add B&K Collectables to your Facebook HERE

Follow B&K Collectables on your Twitter HERE

Subscribe to the B&K Collectables' newsletter HERE
------------------------------------------------------
Cybertron.ca Feedback Thread --> http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=18760
Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
chin0bo
Generation 1

Awesome! thanks for the info laffy and Bruticus!
chin0bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus View Post
It's actually not Canada Customs that have the issue with toy guns, but US Customs... perfectly legal to have a toy in Canada without the orange cap. Seeing the destination is Canada, US Customs does not touch it...the package won't be x-rayed until it gets to Canada Customs and while they could open the parcel (if it's sealed, they never usually open the inner package), but by that time, as long as they mention it's a toy on the declaration, you should be fine.
I have passed on many a good G1 Megatron for exactly the reason that this member raised. I'm not doubting you Dan but am just curious how you know that US Customs doesn't scan the packages even for security reasons (weapons, drugs and other prohibited/controlled items/substances). I personally still wouldn't risk it but am still very curious where you heard that they don't scan. I could have sworn that there was a Canadian guy several years ago who had to either redirect (and sell) his MP Megs to a US customer for this reason or pay to have US customs destroy it, despite MP Megs being packaged in robot mode and being oversized.

Last edited by Megatron75; 05-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
timcrook
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron75 View Post
... I could have sworn that there was a Canadian guy several years ago who had to either redirect (and sell) his MP Megs to a US customer for this reason ...
Supposedly you can't sell without the orange plug in USA but you say the authorities in USA made him sell it to an American citizen? That story doesn't make sense.
timcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
Supposedly you can't sell without the orange plug in USA but you say the authorities in USA made him sell it to an American citizen? That story doesn't make sense.
Yeah, you're right...it doesn't. Like I said, I don't really remember the details on that particular situation but am very curious about the scanning of packages exiting the USA.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
laffy
Crossover

Is thier any way you can get a friend to take it back from the us.. i know that canada has much laxed laws but omg i could never to take that chance maybe if hes in bot mod but clearly hes not hes shipped in gun form and i could not have the heart to take a gamble on this. id say maybe take him out of the box and ship as a bot but than again what to do with the scope.. please let us know what you decade and as to what happens as in sure we are thinking of you im sure some may know is thier a way to get this pre looked at passed by customs so at least you know for sure and have megs pre approved ? just a thought is all
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
Funny I just stumbled upon one of the YouTube video responses regarding this matter and thought I'd share it. A YouTuber that goes by the name "BikerTrashWolf" uploaded a response video on December 10, 2007 (Re:"Canada customs has won" part 2) that beiefly outlines the issue. Unfortunately, I can't find the original video that he was responding to.

A Canadian collector attempted to import MP Megs from the USA. Apparently BBTS included a disclaimer that indicated that it could be mistaken for a real gun. Canada Customs would not allow it to come into Canada, so the buyer either had to have it destroyed or pay to have it shipped back to the USA. BBTS wouldn't take it back because Canada Customs had ripped the box, so he was debating having it shipped to someone in the states if they submitted a compelling enough YouTube response video indicating why they should have it.

I'm assuming that the MP Megs didn't have an aftermarket orange blaze attached to it and that that's why it was an issue. I have no idea how this matter was finally resolved but I sure am curious.

Last edited by Megatron75; 08-14-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
CAF
Banned

One would think if it was shipped in bot mode things would be fine.

Unless those dudes who scan it think Transformers are real...
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote