Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
fazemanpress
Generation 1
Collecting Masterpieces

Hey fellow Transformers Fans,

I had couple questions being a bit of newbie on collecting the master pieces line, they are amazing feels like they came out of the cartoon.

1. Do you collect all masterpieces that are released? or certain ones?

2 Do you try to be G1 cartoon accurate and collect all the Autobots/Deceptions that appeared in the original Ark(season1) along with other seasons and the movie? or just the ones that appeal to you?

3. How are the 3rd Party Masterpieces? do you recommend them? which is good line to go with E-hobby, Henkei and Igear?

How is the PP05 (ironhide) and PP05M (Ratchet)

4. How do you display your Masterpiece? and do you have a background or dioramas for them - Ark background or Teletraan1?

THanks for your feedback

Faze

Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=fazemanpress

Last edited by fazemanpress; 03-25-2014 at 09:24 PM.
fazemanpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: Collecting Masterpieces

Ok some of these questions could be whole threads on their own. I'll just briefly offer my thoughts.

1. Only certain ones. Mostly post MP-10 because of the new scale.

2. G1 cartoon accuracy is important to my collection. If Takara creates an MP for every G1 character, I will likely buy them all.

3. IMO 99% of them are garbage, cheap quality and unnecessarily over complicated. However I have heard Quakewave is worthy of the "Masterpiece" label. But I'm not convinced. However, I've preordered Scoria. That's all I consider worthy at the moment. Again, my opinion. Others will likely disagree.

e-HOBBY and Henkei are not 3rd Party nor are they Masterpieces, except for three e-HOBBY exclusives.

4. Glass cases like Ikea Detolf. No backgrounds.

In the end, it's your collection and just collect what makes you happy.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Ozrein
Stunticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Ok some of these questions could be whole threads on their own. I'll just briefly offer my thoughts.

1. Only certain ones. Mostly post MP-10 because of the new scale.

2. G1 cartoon accuracy is important to my collection. If Takara creates an MP for every G1 character, I will likely buy them all.

3. IMO 99% of them are garbage, cheap quality and unnecessarily over complicated. However I have heard Quakewave is worthy of the "Masterpiece" label. But I'm not convinced. However, I've preordered Scoria. That's all I consider worthy at the moment. Again, my opinion. Others will likely disagree.

e-HOBBY and Henkei are not 3rd Party nor are they Masterpieces, except for three e-HOBBY exclusives.

4. Glass cases like Ikea Detolf. No backgrounds.

In the end, it's your collection and just collect what makes you happy.
I'm just gonna quote Multiplex since I pretty much agree with everything he said. (my only exception is I do like the pre-MP10 MPs, but like he said, collect what you like and makes you happy).
Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Nullray
IGC

I collect each and every MP that has been released since the early days of MP01. I may be the only one but I hated it when the MP10 mold shrunk. It was a shame to reduce the figures to no suspension nor rubber tires. 1:24 Alternators have rubber. Scale mean nothing to me because each figure should be a homage to the individual original figure. My opinion. Just how people are now whining about the cost vs size of the new MP Bumblebee it was inevitable. If scale had remained the same MP Bumblebee would be roughly Prowl scale.

2 Do you try to be G1 cartoon accurate and collect all the Autobots/Deceptions that appeared in the original Ark(season1) along with other seasons and the movie? or just the ones that appeal to you?

As previously mentioned I collected them all. Actually in doubles to seal away for my niece. When she is old enough to appreciate them I have a cool time capsule for her.

3. How are the 3rd Party Masterpieces? do you recommend them? which is good line to go with E-hobby, Henkei and Igear?

Third party is touch and go. I would highly recommend internet reviews of things before purchasing items. I commend the Fandom for their ingenuity and resources for creating fantastic pieces. Over complicated hand puzzles to me are amazing.

Love these figures. I wish I hadn't sold them all. In a trade right now for PP05W

4. How do you display your Masterpiece? and do you have a background or dioramas for them - Ark background or Teletraan1?

I had them displayed in various rooms at one time. Placed over my fireplace mantle before I got a kitten that likes to jump. Now they are encased in an Ikea Detolf which is way to small for what I have. I dont just have TFs in there though. My chogokin collection is growing rapidly as well.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Hellboy
Alternator

I've only been collecting the MPs since the original Hasbro release of Grimlock. Like most have said, the new scale (or conformed scale) from MP-10 on makes this a great time to jump in. Though Grimlock isn't part of the new scale the fact that he is being re-released is awesome for any G1 fan. I'm a G1 fan and thus far I've been pleased with every Hasbro MP I've bought.

I don't do 3rd party. No matter how much they look like TFs they still are not TFs in my mind and they are insanely overpriced.

I also don't collect Takara... I'm a cheap bastard and I'm not convinced that they are worth twice the price of a Hasbro release. It does make it painful when Takara is putting out all the new vehicles but at least Hasbro is going to bring some of them to the shelves very soon. It helps that I'm also very patient.

Right now I have them sitting on shelves in my basement. Eventually they will be going into Ikea Detolf shelving units when I'm done renovating... whatever year that happens to be.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I recently liquidated all all my TFA, Bayverse, Chugs in favor of G1 and Masterpieces. Might even pare down the G1s further. I agree it's a great time to collect MPs with the new scale, though I did keep MP-4 and MP-5 because honkin' Optimus and Megatron's are kickass. I have dabbled into the 3Ps with Quakewave who is worth every every penny, AF Bumblebee which is merely placeholder for MP-21 (and not really worth it) and soon FT-04 Scoria (cause Grimmy needs a new pair of tall shoes and a friend). The only regret is MP Rodimus who is such a terrible POS that I may sell his fragile ass one day.

Unlike most my G1s are in a Detolf and my MPs are in a locked tub that I access to "play" with my MPs on a regular basis except for the Seekers, Quakewave, one of my MP10s, MP Prowl and a customized 1/48 scale Macross Valkyrie Jetfire which are displayed at my office.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 03-26-2014 at 12:17 AM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
mastereh
Generation 2

I started a few years ago collecting only Takara Masterpiece; I honestly didn't know much about what the difference was between Takara and Hasbro until I joined a few online forums.

Now I'm mixing it up; I have bought a bunch of Hasbro editions like Soundwave, Acid Storm but then also have a huge number of Takara editions Bluestreak, Grimlock, Optimus Prime etc.,

I'm now buying all the ones I like; there are some out there that I'm not so much a fan of and probably won't buy them.

Up until late last year I didn't really care about 3rd parties; but that has all changed as I did more research into them.

I've bought a bunch that I absolutely love, Perfect Effect Warden, TFC Hercules (my first 3rd party set), MMC Not-Predaking, Mania King etc.,

I have my transformers in 3 places; my combiners are on an open shelf above my office desk. My smaller autobots and decepticons are on one big shelf in a battle sequence which I enjoy changing around on a daily basis.

Sometimes I transform my bots or knock some over depending on how I feel the battle is going. Yeah I play with them.

The third area I have my bots are in an open display cabinet with some LED lighting; these guys are just posing in various forms and are more of the bigger bots like MP Soundwave, MP 01 Optimus Prime, Grimlock etc,.

Here are some pics of how my displays look:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=51445&page=2
mastereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
zfarsh
Armada

The only 3rd party to make excellent Masterpiece type toys currently is Fans Toys. Quakewave is a Shockwave, and it feels better than any official MP toys. Fans Toys is also making the rest of Dinobots and Skyfire in 2014-2015. More companies may join in, but they still have to prove their engineering / quality first, so I wont mention them yet.

For other scales, other good 3rd party companies that you can generally trust and expect high quality with many of their products are:

Mastermind Creations (MMC),
FansProject and Maketoys
Planet X

There are other companies, but the above list is what comes first to mind for great quality / overall product. Read reviews on what ever you are considering just to make sure that specific toy will be awesome.

Last edited by zfarsh; 03-26-2014 at 08:51 AM.
zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

we've talked so you kind of know.

I collect all Mp's and most of the old ones in multiples.

only one i dont have and dont want is the black rodimus prime because he is shit plain and simple.

the only MP i HATE with a passion is MP megatron. he is the biggest POS ive ever seen. hes a gimpy mess. had him on display for a short time then back in his box to never be seen again...

like others have said the only 3rd party company that can be considered MP quality right now is fans toys and quakewave is absolutely worth every penny you pay for him. he is amazing.

pp05w and pp05m I have and i love and i display them proudly with my MPs until a better version comes along. and i think they work fine in MP scale where as others will say they arent and they should go with a chug collection. (shrugs) to each their own.

my figs are all displayed in a billy bookcase with glass doors and 3 detolfs.

i need about 15 - 50 more cases if i wanted to display everything i have lol. (never going to happen)

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

I collect on screen characters from season 1-Rebirth.

Any MP released that appeared on screen from Season 1 - Rebirth will end up in my collection.

Right now for 3P MP's I have been sticking with FT. Shockwave was a nice addition (not perfect but nice) and their Dinobots look outstanding.

I am staying away from MINIBOTS right now because with the release of BB you know we will start getting more.

Personally I think the iGear Ironhide and Ratchet just don;t quite fit in with MPs.

Im currently in a smaller place so my collection space decreased. I simply display them on a shelf, no backgrounds. The only background I have is the iGear Arc set that I display my Generations on.