Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
BruticusMax
Bruticus Maximus Forever!
For the unemployed

Now me being unemployed myself, I must say it is hard to look at new toys coming out, especially with the Prime line being so awesome. Not to mention that finding a stable job has been "oh not so lucky" for me.

I wonder if there is any other fans out there looking at some toys in stores and wishing we could buy them like we used to or waiting on the good days. Hell I am.

And well with the savings being close to none

While for some it is indeed their wallet running out of money that's going to fill back up. For people like me/us (If there's people other than me hehe) it
is the other way around

Anybody feel the same here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1952078_460s_v1-1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	13799  

Last edited by BruticusMax; 03-27-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: For the unemployed

Every time I set foot in a store I just die a little inside because I don't have the funds to buy.

But then my situation is because of house buying, a situation i only got into because when I was unemployed I stopped buying, and continued to stop buying when I gained employment.

It eats away at me inside like a cancer.

But anyways, there is hope. Pick up a book titled "What Color is My Parachute"

There's a whole lot of good job search and career direction stuff in there.

Also, My place of employment is still looking for an electric pump repair technician with millwriting experience. I know that doesn't help you specifically, but it does let you know that there are jobs out there. And not just McDonald's kind of jobs.

Keep checking, be pro-active, and get your resume and cover letters together.

Be prepared to snipe a job before anyone else even knows about it.

In the meantime, go through your current collection and archive what you've got. Set up some dioramas, make lists of what you plan on getting, and when you do get back up and employed, set a strict budget for Transformers.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
BruticusMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Every time I set foot in a store I just die a little inside because I don't have the funds to buy.

But then my situation is because of house buying, a situation i only got into because when I was unemployed I stopped buying, and continued to stop buying when I gained employment.

It eats away at me inside like a cancer.

But anyways, there is hope. Pick up a book titled "What Color is My Parachute"

There's a whole lot of good job search and career direction stuff in there.

Also, My place of employment is still looking for an electric pump repair technician with millwriting experience. I know that doesn't help you specifically, but it does let you know that there are jobs out there. And not just McDonald's kind of jobs.

Keep checking, be pro-active, and get your resume and cover letters together.

Be prepared to snipe a job before anyone else even knows about it.

In the meantime, go through your current collection and archive what you've got. Set up some dioramas, make lists of what you plan on getting, and when you do get back up and employed, set a strict budget for Transformers.
haha that is true, I'm also trying to get some training for Bell tech solutions which is not going to start till I don't know. (I did pass their 2 assessments tho)

However, I will always need a job since who knows when their next training date will be, (Last year they caleld me way in September and by then I was already doing full-time contract work)

I also have mortgage payments to go through and at the moment my savings are getting eaten up on a monthly basis. (Oh how it hurts.......)

As for the collection part, I've already planned out all the Transformers I'd need to buy in a folder + their pictures named with numbers as well.

Now all that remains is the emptiness of holding any stable job so that i may pursue my career goal along with a stable job.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Back when I was working in the Financial District,I would go to the toy store every week to get any TF for any price without flinching.The time school began,most of that money went to the overpriced tuition.I'm lucky to even get a TF for sale once every few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 03-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Prowl_2009
A Decepticons Downfall

I lost my job at the car dealership 6 months ago and, although I am very close it seems to landing a nice paying cleaning job, I haven't gotten much in the way of TF's since I lost my job back in October. And, yes, I sure die inside when I hit up a toy store these days.

Since I've been unemployed, I've only scored:

Generations Wheeljack, that I bought a few weeks before losing my job.

RTS Windcharger, on sale for $6.95 at Wal-Mart Chirstmas Eve.

Encore Soundblaster, again, pre-ordered this months before losing my job. Had the money set aside.

3 TF's in 6 months!!! It's VERY Disappointing to me that I went from averaging like 3-4 TF's a month to 1 TF every 2 months! So sad! Hopefully the cleaning job will pan out!!! Cross your fingers for me, guys!

Prowl needs some new TF plastic crack!!!

"Logic is the Ultimate Weapon." - Prowl

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Prowl_2009

Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook: Infinite Earths
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Jeem
Energon

I made a promise. With a new house and trying to plan a wedding, money is pretty tight.

Then Mattel offered a pre-order for their BTTF Hoverboard prop replica. The pre-order ends in 2 hrs... Soo painful

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...ctID.247060500

Woot woot! My own Feedback thread!: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=24846

My For Sale thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51577
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
BruticusMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl_2009 View Post
I lost my job at the car dealership 6 months ago and, although I am very close it seems to landing a nice paying cleaning job, I haven't gotten much in the way of TF's since I lost my job back in October. And, yes, I sure die inside when I hit up a toy store these days.

Since I've been unemployed, I've only scored:

Generations Wheeljack, that I bought a few weeks before losing my job.

RTS Windcharger, on sale for $6.95 at Wal-Mart Chirstmas Eve.

Encore Soundblaster, again, pre-ordered this months before losing my job. Had the money set aside.

3 TF's in 6 months!!! It's VERY Disappointing to me that I went from averaging like 3-4 TF's a month to 1 TF every 2 months! So sad! Hopefully the cleaning job will pan out!!! Cross your fingers for me, guys!

Prowl needs some new TF plastic crack!!!
believe it or not I wouldn't mind a cleaning job, not to mention I'm job searching at this time too lol
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
BruticusMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeem View Post
I made a promise. With a new house and trying to plan a wedding, money is pretty tight.

Then Mattel offered a pre-order for their BTTF Hoverboard prop replica. The pre-order ends in 2 hrs... Soo painful

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/...ctID.247060500

We must invent some sort of nicorettes hahaha
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I have been unemployed for the better part of five years, and it hasn't been by choice. I would prefer to have some sort of income rather than nothing, unfortunately it is very hard to get anywhere when you have no experience in job searching or the best ways to land a job without coming off as a socially awkward misfit.

I started by job searching, this led me no where. I went to an outfit, one of those not-for-profits to help me find a job. They had me doing so much applying to things that I didn't really have any interest in at all that I wound up falling flat.

I went back to school, took a training course in Administrative Assistance, then after a little while I landed a job with a small outfit. But I couldn't handle the multi-tasking as a receptionist/secretary. I was great with the skills front, but when it came to actually doing more than one task at a time I compeltely failed.

Then I got a job at Wal-Mart, in fact I even posted about it here, after two and a half weeks they fired me because I didn't 'meet the expectations' they had of me.

Being Unemployed stinks, even worse when you're not smart at all, you don't say stop. Or No more. You have a Credit Card and think you can do anything you need because the Student Loan will help pay off the CC. I have never been smart with finances, I'll admit that right now, I'm a terrible manager of money.

What wound up happening is, that I lost my CC, my parents had to foot the bill for everything from CC and Student Loans, and it really did not feel right or good having to get them to deal with it.

Now. Now I am currently on EIA, I'm working with an outfit that will hopefully get me a job before year's end. What EIA means is that I'm recieving a certain fund from the government which allows me to pay back Room and Board to my parents, which really makes me feel a hell of a lot more useful than I did six months ago.

I have the skills, I have the schooling, I've got one of the best damn typing speeds out there. (75WPM), but now that we've got everything lined in a row it just takes that right job to finally be nailed down. I've been looking into getting Data Entry positions since... Well at least two years back. And it is slow coming.

And I'm still not slowing down in the shopping department as my living expenses tend to be eaten up pretty darn quick, but it isn't just toys I'm buying anymore. The expenses of food and other things really is ridiculous. I've been getting very frugal, very smart, I go for the sales. Or the price cuts. Or the clearance prices. I've only paid full price... Maybe 2 times out of ten. And I'm not going hog wild, I'm trying to smarten up and correct my overzealous need to constantly be acquiring new things.

It can be really frustrating. It can be hard. It can be damn near impossible some times. Without any kind of job or other social outlets to take away some of the edge I've fallen, and fallen pretty hard, for the only thing I have any control over anymore. My collecting. If I stopped buying new things for a couple of months I'd actually be able to save up a little bit, but I'm kind of afraid of what might happen in my mind if I did that. When you're not doing anything for five years except looking and going to every different not-for-profit and government run job seekers assistance place under the sun, you tend to get discouraged big time and depressed.

I've always been about structured well planned out living, this lack of control can be quite upsetting at times. So I shop. And shopping fuels the rest of the problem. But as I said, I'm doing a little bit better every month now to get myself back under a more manageble control.

So I guess basically what I'm saying is, do not fall into the same traps I did. Avoid it at all possible if you can, that new Legion Class figure might look like a great idea at the time, but if you're buying something every day for three weeks straight (Which thankfully I haven't done myself ever.) then you're in big trouble.

Also, consider which figures you really need to have and keep, if you can make a bit of extra living cash by selling something you really don't feel enough now, it can be really helpful.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Avoid the government run job finding places. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them in several communities. Sure, the people are nice, I guess, but they aren't helpful. The services themselves suck, and aren't any better than what you could get going online.

On the other hand, when I went to a for-profit one that was outsourced to by the government (E.I. paid for it), I actually made progress.

2 years of crap temp agency jobs later, interspersed with unemployed months, and now here I am, working at the same place for almost 2 straight years. And not through a temp agency.

Truth be told, I like the job except for the fact that I have to deal first hand with fecal matter (human and farm animal) as well as anything that goes down the drain or into a septic tank.

I DO NOT LIKE THAT ONE BIT. And that's something that was put onto me. I was hired to do one thing, and now I'm doing another. Hell, I was hired on to fix power tools and the occasional motor. I was not hired on to handle anything involving chicken, pig, cow, ferret, mink, etc. manure and human shit, human and animal urine, blood, bacteria, viruses, TB, Hep, etc. Not to mention all of the other biological and chemical crap that goes through this stuff.

So when things stabilize, as much as it pains me, I will be seeking other employment. Honestly I should have taken another job offer about a year ago in manufacturing. No poop there.

I know its odd to complain about my job in a thread set up for unemployment, but I seriously do not like dealing with any sort of shit. That's the primary reason I got into electrical/mechanical in the first place.

Whats worse is that I know this will be taking a toll on my health. So yeah, I need out once I see an exit.

Will I enjoy the other job more? probably not. Probably even less. But I won't be exposed to shit.

I don't think I've ever told anyone else about me planning to seek other work, not even my wife. She'd flip out something fierce.

edit: So just know that there is something worse than not being employed, being stuck in a job where you could be diagnosed with some weird avian flu while you stand there covered in pig poop and feathers. And not having an exit.

edit 2: Blech, venting. Had a rough day. I apologize for dumping all that info on you all.

Last edited by Shepp; 03-28-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Closed Thread