Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #381
SHCKWAVE
Beast Machine
Re: ToysRUs.ca Transformers Sightings

Thank you kindly for the head's up regarding the 4 pack.I ordered one right after seeing your post and just received notification that it shipped.
SHCKWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #382
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Especially anything cheap. Just in preparation for another cassetticon restock I've been trying to find $5-10 of other merch to be able reach free shipping, but basically anything on the website that's at the $10 or under price threshold is either out of stock or available for pickup only. And not just Transformers. Board games, Lego, Star Wars merch, plushies, everything. I can't find anything of interest that's cheap and available.
My wife had to add a ten dollar Barbie to get our Selects cassettes to free shipping

Almost becomes a borderline "would this actually be cheaper to just pay the shipping" when you get up there
evenstaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #383
Saundowaivu
Beasty

My cassettes shipped. Didnt bother adding anything for the free shipping. I just want my tape dudes.
Saundowaivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #384
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
My wife had to add a ten dollar Barbie to get our Selects cassettes to free shipping

Almost becomes a borderline "would this actually be cheaper to just pay the shipping" when you get up there

I think it's a little less than $10 for the base shipping charge. Since the Cassettes are only about $5 away from the $35 free shipping threshold, my hope was to find something that cost less than $10, but it seems like any cheap little items are store-pickup-only.

If it comes down to it I'll probably be happy to just eat the cost simply because there are no viable alternative items to get. In the past I've just managed to find things to add that I would've gotten otherwise, but I'm not buying $15-20 worth of "I might as well" type merchandise just to not pay shipping.

My original plan was an additional Earthrise Smashdown or Soundbarrier, but they're both out of stock. Last time I needed to get to the shipping threshold was on Red Wing and I ended up getting a $9 plush llama as a gag gift for a family member. But I can't even find something like that this time around.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #385
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
I think it's a little less than $10 for the base shipping charge. Since the Cassettes are only about $5 away from the $35 free shipping threshold, my hope was to find something that cost less than $10, but it seems like any cheap little items are store-pickup-only.

If it comes down to it I'll probably be happy to just eat the cost simply because there are no viable alternative items to get. In the past I've just managed to find things to add that I would've gotten otherwise, but I'm not buying $15-20 worth of "I might as well" type merchandise just to not pay shipping.

My original plan was an additional Earthrise Smashdown or Soundbarrier, but they're both out of stock. Last time I needed to get to the shipping threshold was on Red Wing and I ended up getting a $9 plush llama as a gag gift for a family member. But I can't even find something like that this time around.
I ordered 2 to get free shipping. You can have the other one at cost if you like
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #386
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Cassettes arrived on Friday, they cute

Now bring on Doubledealer!
Old 06-03-2020, 03:19 AM   #387
The Nemesis
Alternator

It might mean nothing, or it might mean something significant, but the Cassette 4-pack no longer shows up on TRU.ca when you display products by the Transformers brand or when you search for "Transformers Generations Selects" (on the latter nothing shows up anymore except for the 2 powerdashers. Red Wing, Smokescreen, and anything else they've carried under the Selects line is absent)

The item page is still there, but it seems like you have to have a direct link to get to it.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #388
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
It might mean nothing, or it might mean something significant, but the Cassette 4-pack no longer shows up on TRU.ca when you display products by the Transformers brand or when you search for "Transformers Generations Selects" (on the latter nothing shows up anymore except for the 2 powerdashers. Red Wing, Smokescreen, and anything else they've carried under the Selects line is absent)

The item page is still there, but it seems like you have to have a direct link to get to it.
https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Transforme.../94B5EA6A.html

Appears to be Out of Stock
Old 06-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #389
The Nemesis
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post

Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying that I couldn't find it or that I wasn't sure if it was in stock (I have the link bookmarked from earlier discussions on here and have been checking it almost daily for restock notices)

What I'm saying is that TRU normally doesn't de-list item pages from their search results or brand-based listings simply on account of being out of stock. Just for example, if you look at all Transformers branded stuff:

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/toysrus/Br...Transformers#1

Stuff that's out of stock entirely appears in that list, just marked "out of stock". Stuff like most Siege & Earthrise Micromasters, or ER Grapple & Starscream, or a bunch of Botbots packs. They're not available for store pickup or online purchase, but they're still listed with a red "OUT OF STOCK" label plastered over the image. Even some of their older specialty packs and Generations Selects stuff like the Rainmakers or the Reflector Camera pack are still there but out of stock.

But the Cassette pack doesn't appear in their listings at all. Neither does Red Wing, for that matter. Or Nightbird, or Smokescreen. And if I just search "Transformers Generations Selects" the only results that come up are the two Powerdashers they sell/sold (Cromar and Zetar).

It's just me speculating, but that sort of setup makes me wonder if they aren't expecting any more of them to come in for online purchase and it was just easier to sever all its links to being found by shoppers as a means of marking the product as (essentially) discontinued) than it would be to wipe the page entirely.

Of course, I could just as easily be reading too much into this since there's basically no reason for them to have some of the older listings like the Rainmakers still up when it's abundantly clear they won't be getting any more of those in stock to sell, or the fact that several Wave 1 Earthrise figures don't appear in their search results or brand lists either (Cliffjumper, Wheeljack, Astrotrain, and Optimus) when they are very much still for sale if/when you can find them in stores.

It was just something I thought was worth mentioning because of how odd it seemed. And because I've been frustrated at how ridiculously all of this sort of distribution is being handled. Sometimes I feel like these sorts of short runs and small, unannounced bursts of limited stock are intentional to drive up the frenzy in the collector market. Because the social media buzz of people panicking and celebrating finding that thing they were looking for like it was the holy grail plays well for generating attention on a brand.

Last edited by The Nemesis; 06-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #390
The Nemesis
Alternator

Now the link to the cassette page returns a 404 error