Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Thinking about selling some figures at upcoming 80's Toy Expo

And I have a couple questions. It's getting close, and I missed out on early bird table price for vendors, so it's around $130 CDN. Does anybody know offhand a ballpark amount of how much product you have to move to make it 'worth it'?...vs going the ebay route, with their fees (and paypal, with its fees)?

I've gone the ebay route and it takes a lot of time and effort with the photos, boxing them up and such. I won't be able to attend the TF Expo (dang!), but I thought maybe this 80s Toy Expo might be the next best thing.

Or, is it like the name suggests: only G1 TFs from the 80s are likely to sell? I've got the majority of post MP10 MPs up, along with some G2, only one G1 piece (Motormaster), some G1 reissues, and the rest is a mix of Unite Warriors and other imports. Will the people that come to this expo be in the market for TF toys that aren't from the 80s?

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Thinking about selling some figures at upcoming 80's Toy Expo

No bring everything you got. Everyone is always looking for variety so it should be great. I have only sold at one of these shows and was a very good experience. On a side note I know Cobra Commander was looking for a partner (but not sure if he still is) and would be a great guy to split a table with so reaching out to him might be a good idea. If you decide to do this all the best of luck.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Tonestar
Star Seeker

I have been selling at the Mississauga shows since 2014 and will be there again in April and for the next 2 shows and I have learned that it is always good to bring a little bit of everything as that tends to appeal to a broad range of people. So bring what you want and have a good time selling and meeting new people.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
CanBot
Cybertron

Good to know, thanks guys.

The thing is that time is ticking, and...this is kinda the goofy part, I'm thinking of getting out completely from TFs Part of me thinks that this would be a good opportunity to do that, and of course the other part is going "DUDE, like WTF???"

There's no pressure, really, other than my own. If I do it, then I want it all gone, and that might not make it the fun experience that 'real' vendors get to have. The thought has been in my mind for a few months, with the same reasons as you see in other similar threads (getting older, space, money, minor anxiety, you know, that ol' chestnut ). I think that because I'm not really trying to make money on them (rather do the best I can to break somewhat even, even though I realize that's probably not going to happen), it would be good to see them go to collectors who will appreciate them.

On a side note, are table top boardgames something that might interest people at this expo? Kinda like Warhammer stuff, but different. Just a random question, not really looking to move them there but you never know.

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

One bit of advice.

Figure out ahead of time what you'd accept for "everything". A lot of the professional flippers will come around at the end of the show and look to get a deal. I'd suggest a price about half what you figure you could sell it for yourself.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
oroboru
Machine War

Isn't the trunk of your car an acceptable substitute? Honestly, with free parking and the increased use of online advertising through boards and whatnot, I'm surprised tailgating isn't more of a thing at these cons.
oroboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboru View Post
Isn't the trunk of your car an acceptable substitute? Honestly, with free parking and the increased use of online advertising through boards and whatnot, I'm surprised tailgating isn't more of a thing at these cons.
Nope, that is a good way to get banned from the property and future shows.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
oroboru
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Nope, that is a good way to get banned from the property and future shows.
I suppose that's true... or at least if you decide to do it on the property itself. I'm just thinking about the TFCon during the summer where people paid like $5 to post a note on their bulletin board advertising swap meets and sales in the rooms of the con goers.
oroboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I read from earlier year's feedback that there was a thief in the expo, (maybe from Eric's post?), so be careful about your stuff too.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboru View Post
I suppose that's true... or at least if you decide to do it on the property itself. I'm just thinking about the TFCon during the summer where people paid like $5 to post a note on their bulletin board advertising swap meets and sales in the rooms of the con goers.
Posting on the board advertising TFcon room parties is actually free for all attendees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I read from earlier year's feedback that there was a thief in the expo, (maybe from Eric's post?), so be careful about your stuff too.
It really sucks when you get that many people together in one place there is always 1 or 2 people that have to ruin things.