Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Thrill of the Hunt or Relief of a Sure Thing.

With the recent up crop of seemingly elusive exclusives do you relish the thought of hunting this new 'deadly game' or does the possibly of not getting these figure cause such a panic that you give up on the hunt before it starts and hit up Ebay or other sources?

On one hand the Hunt is part of the addiction. I love the feeling when you walk into TRU or Wal-Mart for the 15th time that week and finally track down something new that you had your sights on from the minuet that you saw the youtube review of the stolen Chinese prototype.

But on the other hand, it is nice to know that an elusive exclusive will make it into your collection without issue and you can then sleep soundly at night.

Thoughts? Comments? Dirty Limericks?
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Thrill of the Hunt or Relief of a Sure Thing.

Meh...never panic when it come to collecting...the point of this is to enjoy the hobby not cause yourself aggravation.

I like going to a store and if I see something new I like I'll get it but do I go nuts driving from store to store to store to obtain it? ...well....there were a few times but still it didn't drive me up the wall to the point of coming home and posting in our sightings section "what a waste of gas that was, god damn scalpers!" because it just seems pointless and stupid.

One way or another I get the exclusive...knowing the amount of collectors I do usually they hook me up out of the goodness of their hearts and you return the favour by hooking them up in the future. It works...it's calming...no need to become a screaming moron because "I CAN'T GET THE TOY I WANT!!!". Lately I've been finding that I don't really mind missing it because I seem to get it for cheaper then retail down the line.

At the end of the day this is a hobby...you're to gain happiness from it, not raise your blood pressure...though certain happiness will do that but I digress...HOBBY! Don't lose sleep over toys, don't get an ulcer over toys, don't give yourself headaches over toys. If it's something you really want and can't get it NOW wait a year or so and bite the bullet but generally after a year all these "scalped" items go back down in price.

Once again, it all comes back to patience and the overall few people that actually have it when it comes to collecting.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
SamiWCP
Alternator

Since I moved, I'm much much further away from the regular stores I used to look at..So, now, if/when I do go out--I really much more appreciate finding something instead of wasting a few hours driving and however many gallons of gas driving from store to store and finding nothing knowing I'll have to eventually go out once more and try again..
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Bit of column A, bit of column B......I like the hunt and the eventual find, but some things, mostly Animated I prefer to be a sure thing as these are for my son. Right now he really wants Rodimus, he wants want one just like daddy has (G1 Hot Rod). I don't like to disapoint my little guy. He has had his eyes on this since it was announced. Granted I can order it online, but at 2x the price minimum in most cases. If it comes down to it thats what I'll do, but if I can get lucky and find one at TRU we will be thrilled!
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

For the selected few figures that I really wanted I will (pre-) order it online for sure. For the rest, good hunting! The thrill of finding something new in store is irreplaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
I don't like to disapoint my little guy
I suggest you should let him learn about disappointment or else he will be one very unhappy collector (or a simply person) in the future LOL

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 08-30-2010 at 01:06 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
sacha88
Machine War

I find the hunt fun up to a certain point. Once I start to notice myself getting too wrapped up into finding a toy, I usually try to forget about it, because getting worked up over finding a toy gets silly at a certain point.
sacha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Incepticon
Double Agent

When it comes to Transformers, there is no thrill of the hunt for me. Thrill of quickly finding what I want right now: yes. Thrill of ordering stuff online and waiting several weeks for it to arrive or having to make several trips to several stores for several days, weeks or months: not even remotely.

I can be a patient person and do choose to wait for a lot things longer than I need to, but not when it comes to this particular hobby.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
For the selected few figures that I really wanted I will (pre-) order it online for sure. For the rest, good hunting! The thrill of finding something new in store is irreplaceable.

I suggest you should let him learn about disappointment or else he will be one very unhappy collector (or a simply person) in the future LOL
Well its not like he gets everything he wants, the majority of any trip thru the toy isle of any store results in "No", but there is a few select things he has earned and I am more then happy to try to provide for him. In this case, Roddy.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
CyberMnky
Animated

I like the hunt - I enjoy going and looking. Though sometimes when I really really really really want I figure I'm tempted to crack and order online.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I really don't go out of my way to find something that often. I can stop at multiple stores, multiple times a week if I'm watching for something, but I'm driving past those stores going to and from work so the time commitment of 5 extra minutes is really the only extra cost involved in hunting for me.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote