Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #71
Joalro
Robot in Disguise
Re: Transformers Prime Episodes 1 and 2 discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnimus View Post
Is no one else weirded out by how this series doesn't have a "start?" The Autobots are already on earth doing their thing for years. Megatron has been missing for years. Starscream has been hanging around for years.

I get that PRIME is its own canon, but what are we supposed to do? Fill in the blanks with movie origin material? G1 inspired material? None really fit comfortably.

In terms of writing, these episodes are a pretty clear step back from the quality of Animated. It's not bad (for a kid's show). Then again, Animated was pretty good (for a show, period.)
The show starts in the middle to create mystery. If you read descriptions of the show, a huge part of it is the exploration of the history of the war, i.e. what happened before episode 1.

Also I think the writing is superb. This might start a flame war, but I'd say it's better than animated. I'm not saying animated was bad, not by any means. But this show managed to take the strong writing of Animated but remove the "kiddy" from it. The writing for animated, though strong and enjoyed by adults, IS very child oriented. This is much more adult.
Joalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #72
TinTip
Generation 1
Transformers Prime

Didnt see a thread for this topic yet.

Just curious if anyone else caught the premier today, and what your thoughts are on it so far.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, the story seem to have good direction, probably due to mr. Bay not being involved. The characters also seem to have strong personalities, even if it was only the first episode.
TinTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #73
Joalro
Robot in Disguise
Re: Transformers Prime

The first five episodes aired in November in the US, and you can watch them on youtube.

Whether you choose to do that, or you wait to watch them as they air, you will discover the show simply gets better with every episode. At this moment, the question I'm wondering is will this show reach the level of Beast Wars or perhaps take it's place as the greatest transformers show ever?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #74
Perceptor
Alternator

I watched the first five episodes on Youtube last week... totally awesome and I agree, each episode gets better. Episode 5 ... wow captivating in both story line and fight sequence.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #75
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

i'm still on the fence about it, can't stand some of the designs or bb beeping, miko is annoying. but bulkhead, fowler (nearer the end of the 5 parter), jack, and arcee i like so far, prime is too serious so far, we'll see how that goes

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #76
Joalro
Robot in Disguise

From the first five episodes, I'm honestly expecting more attention to be paid to the "annoying" things than in the movies. I expect Bumblebee's... special needs.... will be address far more than in the movie's "I haven't gotten around to fixing him yet... he's fix... or wait, no he's not". Also, I truly expect Miko to go through some character change eventually. She already showed a bit of a human side at the end of episode 4, she may end up eventually toning it down.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #77
tusko
Classic

I've only caught the first episode. I'm very encouraged by the show as there are many elements I like grounding the tone of the series. A) realistic alt modes, B) so far its a resource race for energon (which I hope remains the only McGuffin), C) disguise is a necessity.

However characters just in the first episode were fairly unsympathetic and are all trying to be too cool/tough/aloof. I guess from the above that this will improve. A solid first episode even if full of big bushy eyebrows and no noses.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #78
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joalro View Post
At this moment, the question I'm wondering is will this show reach the level of Beast Wars or perhaps take it's place as the greatest transformers show ever?
I'm still giving Prime more time in order to let myself determine the answer.So far,Prime has caught some of my interest,and with Starscream's new leadership on the horizon,it gave me a reason to see the next batch of Episodes.

I agreed with Joalro that I caught the flaws far more than the benefits of Prime.Aside from making the humans far more capable than the Autobots themselves (Once again,following tradition),the characters themselves continue to lack some form of development or another (Aside from Arcee and Ratchet respectively) and it took them five whole Episodes to create well rounded characters and even compare them to their previous incarnations.I'm all in for action and everything,but,as I said with the films that Orci and Kurtzman were involved in,there is such thing as a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #79
CBII
Animated

Watched the first episode last night and I'm impressed. I like way better then the animated series so far and I've only watch one episode.

Might have to check out the YouTube for the rest.

I wonder if there is going to be a toy line with this?
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #80
Maxanda
Seeker Field Medic ftw!

I don't mind the first two episodes so far. I haven't bothered to watch the other three yet but it is turning out better than I thought it would. At the very least I find it to be intriguing. I would have to say my favourite characters so far are Megatron and especially Ratchet.