Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-28-2022, 11:09 PM   #51
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: Kidults driving toy sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
I'm just here for the facts and getting a better understanding of my hobby. The article is about adults buying toys for themselves as opposed to buying it for kids, so that should be distinguished within our discussion. That is all I was trying to say.

And I wish to thank you for all the info you've provided.
Oh, no problem and that's been what was being said, that for sure there are some purchases meant for children, but that every line has their adult fanbase without question.

The article crams everything together, not just TFs and that was my original point. The same would apply to Star Wars or Marvel/DC lines too... and same for any line that draws a large (adult) fanbase.

That's why I stated thay the collectors do have a fairly stronger impact that people realize it/ give credit to, just think about it .. the movies were not truly really all that younger child friendly, the big announcement events, the funding campaigns, the fan votes, ect. So it's kinda a given that Hasbro does its homework.

I will always see the funding campaigns as more a way for Hasbro to test the waters for pricing for future items and price hikes as while some people in Hasbro might be really passionate about the lines, the cutting of corners end up showing that Hasbro doesn't care all that much at the higher levels of management and it's simply a business and to make as much money as they can (as shown on the behind the scene threads).

Last edited by imfallenangel; 12-29-2022 at 01:18 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #52
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

It's clearly obvious that any kind of 80's property. Transformers, gi Joe, masters of the universe, etc are gonna be driven by adults. Kids today don't even know what gi joe is, masters etc. Transformers they do, due to cartoons, and maybe a the bay films and bumblebee. But the generations and studio series line I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of them are being funded by adults.

I had Transformers as a kid. Then went back into collecting when the classics line came out, when my kids saw the bayverse they liked it. My youngest one now is turning 18 in June, and him and I collect the mainline stuff like prime wars trilogy, wfc, legacy and studio series, and we both have fun with it. He sold the older versions of characters to get the newer versions if they are better.

Another huge problem is that the price range for a lot of these properties are out of reach for young kids, and parents. Look how much a leader class is. Deluxe class is a joke. Voyager seems to be the best bang for most people's buck. I can see some kids buying up marvel legends figures, but not entire waves.

I know those super mario toys sell extremely well with children . And wait when the movie comes out. Those toys are gonna sell like hot cakes. My nephews have tons of the 4 inch and 2inch lines

Nothing wrong with adults enjoy a hobby of things that brought them joy when they were younger.
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #53
CyberDragon10K
Predacon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagephil View Post
I know those super mario toys sell extremely well with children . And wait when the movie comes out. Those toys are gonna sell like hot cakes. My nephews have tons of the 4 inch and 2inch lines
Are we talking the Jakk's Pacific toys you see commonly on shelves? I remember grabbing a 6" Metroid Prime Metroid from TRU a long time ago.

I've always thought it was neat that someone was finally putting out mainstream Nintendo toys; used to own the McDonald's Super Mario Bros. pack-in toys from back in the day.

And yeah, that upcoming movie and tertiary/related product is going to print money out the wazoo.
CyberDragon10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #54
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon10K View Post
Are we talking the Jakk's Pacific toys you see commonly on shelves? I remember grabbing a 6" Metroid Prime Metroid from TRU a long time ago.

I've always thought it was neat that someone was finally putting out mainstream Nintendo toys; used to own the McDonald's Super Mario Bros. pack-in toys from back in the day.

And yeah, that upcoming movie and tertiary/related product is going to print money out the wazoo.

Doesn't matter how much dorks screech about Chris Pratt as Mario, that sucker is gonna make all the coin. My kids are so excited.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #55
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

Yep the jakks pacific ones. Bought nephew the 6inch bowser Mario bomb omb 3 pack from GameStop, along with Iggy koopa and yoshi. Boy was he a happy camper, those things are really well done surprisingly well articulated at that scale. The 2inch line has way more characters tons of playsets but limited articulation.

Oh ya that movie wouldn't surprise me if it does over a billion dollars. People always forget Mario Luigi originally were Italian from Brooklyn, not Italian from Italy lol. But ever sense Mario 64 the voice actor used a straight from Italy accent and it's been like that ever since
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:01 PM   #56
timcrook
Cybertron

I hope Hasbro won't use this as an excuse to raise prices.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #57
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
I hope Hasbro won't use this as an excuse to raise prices.

HA!

Like they need an excuse. They'll just do it and say "reasons."
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote