Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: To the MISB purists...

I open pretty much everything I buy, but when a particular figure sparks my interest more than the others, I usually buy a second during a sale and keep that in package. I'll try and articulate my thoughts on in-package transformers.

When a toy is still inside the packaged, it's timeless. The toy never ages. It is and always will be new. The enjoyment comes from holding the untapped potential of that toy in your hands and knowing that at any moment, at your whim, you can open it. In some ways its like holding a piece of your youth again.

When I was a kid, the very first transformer I ever wanted was G1 Optmus Prime. Really, it was the only transformer I wanted. I saved up parts of my lunch money for two months to get the $20 that he cost way back when, but I never did get him in package. He was sold out in all the places I had access too at age 11. Oh, I got other transformers, Wheel Jack and Prowl being the first, and eventually, I was able to trade for an Optimus Prime, which I still have today. But there's something I missed out on. I wasn't the first person to enjoy that Prime, and I never did get the box for him. Skip forward to about a couple of years ago. The 25th aniversary Prime went on sale, and I pick him up, brand new in box. I haven't opened him, and I don't think I ever will. I have an open G1 and G2 Prime which I still play with, but there's something I don't get with those figures, that I do get from looking at and picking up that unopened Prime. It's kind of like for just a moment it's 1984 again, and I'm standing in the old Woodwards dept. store, surrounded by unopened Transformers, but this time, I got what I really wanted.

Well, that's my perspective. Sorry if it's a little sappy.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
TFtoys
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
If you open *none* of your toys, what is it you enjoy about it? Just looking at the piles and piles of Cardboard and plastic that's taking over your house? The Delusion that this will work as an "investment"? Nostalgia?

At this point, are you even able to call yourself a toy collector if you deliberately remove yourself from ever experiencing them?

Why even collect transformers when it could be literally anything inside the boxes?

I mean I hear the stories as to why

Holding on for later, and opening them during dry spells
Keeping for eventual trade fodder
Having a personal collection and the "investment" collection at the same time
I thought you deeply assume the "investment" is the main reason and people who do not open the package are considered about the money value somehow.
there are other values while you opening the new package, smelling the freshness of the package, and playing in the brand new toy etc. But then, I just found buying toys without opening is another level of collection. There is also the moment that people will respect me as a true collector as some of my collection are MISB and never played with, not "all in the buckets" or "random piece allover the place" collectors.

Quote:
Box is to a toy as clothes are to a girl

Sure it looks pretty but I'm more interested in playing with what's inside
Toy could be treated as a art. Collector could be only collecting without playing.
Do not know if it is because of aging or if I brought too much, I actually feel a little bit guilty when I open a new toy. And keeping it as respect as an art.

If so attempting, I might open the box to play. Or I go youtube to see the TF review which will make me calm down a bit.
TFtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
Richter
Nexus Maximus

The only stuff I have no intention of opening are Shining Magnus, Movie Preview Magnus, Road Rage and Overcharge. Rare stuff where the value would be decimated if I opened them.

I actually only own them so I can sell them and buy a new TV for hockey season :P

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #14
herooftheday316
Energon

I can sometimes see the appeal of the MISB thing. Feel reminiscent of going in to an 80s Toys R Us and having all kinds of transformers there. That being said I am more of a MISBUICOTSU collector. Which of course stand for "Mint in sealed box until I can open that shit up" :P

That being said, some lines lend themselves better to MISB then others. Transformers have 2 modes so MISB, your're missing one mode. Things like GI Joe, mentioned above, on the card they are not that different then in hand. Ok, you can't have them hold their guns or anything, but at least it doesn't have a FULL other mode you will never see

-Mike
________
MatureKity

Last edited by herooftheday316; 08-22-2011 at 01:29 AM.
herooftheday316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
Predaking4Ever
Banned

Quote:
Why?

If you open *none* of your toys, what is it you enjoy about it? Just looking at the piles and piles of Cardboard and plastic that's taking over your house? The Delusion that this will work as an "investment"? Nostalgia?

At this point, are you even able to call yourself a toy collector if you deliberately remove yourself from ever experiencing them?

Why even collect transformers when it could be literally anything inside the boxes?

I mean I hear the stories as to why

Holding on for later, and opening them during dry spells
Keeping for eventual trade fodder
Having a personal collection and the "investment" collection at the same time

What is it you get out of it?
As a MISB collector let me ask you what enjoyment an adult has in playing with childrens toys?

Now let me respond...

Does it matter?

No, you collect how you want, let us collect how we want. After all, why play with toys when you can play with girls, unless it'sa toy you can use with a girl :P
Predaking4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #16
Pascal
Banned

Or you can play with toys AND girls.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Or you can play with toys AND girls.
Oh no, this isnt go back to the Astrotrain and Deemer thread again is it!!
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Well, that's my perspective. Sorry if it's a little sappy.
I think you hit the nail on the head, sappy but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Bottom line though, for me anyways, is that they are toys and meant to be played with.
But that's like saying Dog's are meant to be eaten

Quote:
Box is to a toy as clothes are to a girl

Sure it looks pretty but I'm more interested in playing with what's inside
I don't think there's anything wrong with one wanting to stick their "toy" in the "box". Nudge, nudge, wink, wink... say no more
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Autobot Hound
Tracking Cons since 87'

I have a small MISB collection, as sun swipe prime said, because it's timeless. They're like frozen in time and stay mint as long as they're sealed. I guess I have a fetish just looking at a fav tf still in pristine condition.
Sometimes I keep an extra for when I've played with a certain tf to the ground. I swear some of my tf's get maximum play/posing. But I only do this for a small select few.
Oh and they also sometimes come handy for future trades!!

Last edited by Autobot Hound; 09-03-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Autobot Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I can understand MISB people, having all those nice crisp boxes with figures perfectly preserved inside.

I don't have that much MISB stuff myself, mainly some encore reissues.

But personally, I don't really "play" with my toys either. Sure I transform them, pose them, display some of them, but that's about it, then they go in box for storage as I don't have display space right now. The only reason I don't store them in box is because it takes up too much space.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote