Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of the Unicron Trilogy do you like most or hate least?
Armada/ Micron Legend 6 13.04%
Energon/Superlink 5 10.87%
Cybertron/Galaxy Force 19 41.30%
Never watched them...yet 0 0%
G1 FOREVER!!!! 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
Nocturn
Previously Dead
Re: Which of the Unicron Trilogy do you like more...or hate least?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
....while I think BW is the better series I'm gonna doubt that they'd remember it that much unless they actually watched it, as it wasn't as big as G1 was back in it's day.
Wasn't it?

I dunno, it seemed pretty big when everyone had a few...
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #32
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Micron Legend was vastly different on a visual and story/dialogue level. What we got in America as Armada was rushed demo reels for most of the episodes, Japan got the nicely cleaned up version with extra scenes.
Vastly different? Give me examples. "Vastly" would be an exageration on your end that I would never know... Pretty sure the plot is essentially the same and the extra scenes probably didn't add much to the story.

Quote:
With Energon a lot of parts were cut out completely, some for no good reason at all (Like Kicker kicking things). Also Brade Swaile does not do the character justice as a voice actor. He admited at Fan Expo 2009 that people have told him that they don't like the Kicker "Jones" due to how he was voiced by him. While Daisuke Kishio did an amazing job (Who did a lot of bad ass voices for the Rockman series).
Less Kicker is actually good. Why would we absolutely need to watch Kicker kicking things? Doesn't bring anything to the story. And voice acting doesn't change the story itself.

Quote:
Cybertron..... don't get me started, it's a story mess due to them trying to shoe horn Armada/Energon into it. Just watch it in Japanese and enjoy it's epic greatness.
Again, I'm pretty sure it's not all that different. They used the same footage after all.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #33
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
One example I showed at my panel at TFcon 2009:
<
Same scene........ don't rage now.
Are we supposed to see embedded vids here? I can't see anything...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #34
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

I really hate the "Unicron Trilogy" grouping...as a name. "Cybertron" had absolutely nothing to do with Armada and Energon. Unicron wasn't even in it; he was just a big gapping blackhole that got destoryed before the story started. I really wish people would stop referring to the three cartoons as a trilogy. :/

Annoying rant aside, I voted for Cybertron, basically because, as seen in North America, it was the least ridiculous. 87 episode arch Speed Planet Race scene and 95% Dragonball style trash talking before fighting aside, it was the best of the three easily.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #35
soundwaveCA
Retired TF Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Vastly different? Give me examples.
I would like to know as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Again, I'm pretty sure it's not all that different. They used the same footage after all.
I would not say this necessarily either as other anime have been completely different even though it's the same footage. Just look at Voltron, Robotech, and Akira for example. Yes Voltron and Robotech take a bunch of other material but if you look at the Macross section of Robotech for example it is very different between the English and Japanese versions. Speaking of Robotech what kills me about the "Unicron Trilogy" is that it's doing pretty much the same thing in trying to take 3 unrelated shows and trying to pass them off as one, and guess what? it didnt work then and it does not work now.

At the same time I dont see how anything can save Armada or Energon from being anything but terrible. Sure the animation might be better, sure it maybe a better script, but improving an awful show to just a mediocre one is not much of accomplishment.

Last edited by soundwaveCA; 04-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.
soundwaveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #36
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Didn't Japan change the official continuity of Galaxy Force to be the same as its Cybertron counterpart? If that's the case than wouldn't that give some credibility to the dub? I may be way off about that, though, so please let me know.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwaveCA View Post
Yes Voltron and Robotech take a bunch of other material but if you look at the Macross section of Robotech for example it is very different between the English and Japanese versions. Speaking of Robotech what kills me about the "Unicron Trilogy" is that it's doing pretty much the same thing in trying to take 3 unrelated shows and trying to pass them off as one, and guess what? it didnt work then and it does not work now.
In defense of Robotech:Macross. I've seen both the American and Japanses versions of it, and to my ignorant eye, I do not see any difference in terms of story other than a few small edits so it can connect up with the rest of Americanized series.

And I'll have to disagree with it not working. Although not perfect, I think the storyline connections worked out pretty well and it is infinitely more watchable than the unicron trilogy, even after 25yrs.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #38
chans formers
raff ow roud

hard to say. i honestly like them all(plot holes,bad stories,reused over and over transformation scenes,sappyness,etc included) but if i had to pick one that really didnt't interest me,it would have to be armada.specifically the first seasons.it just seemed so blank and bleak,up until the "unicron battles".then i really liked it.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #39
prime13
mendōkusei...

Armada? Best.

Energon? Sure.

Cybertron? no. good toys, crappy story/too many plot holes. It's a continuation, that isn't a continuation!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #40
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
In defense of Robotech:Macross. I've seen both the American and Japanses versions of it, and to my ignorant eye, I do not see any difference in terms of story other than a few small edits so it can connect up with the rest of Americanized series.

And I'll have to disagree with it not working. Although not perfect, I think the storyline connections worked out pretty well and it is infinitely more watchable than the unicron trilogy, even after 25yrs.
I'm curious are you watching the original Robotech or the re-edit re-voiced one? Personally I've only ever bothered with the Macross Saga parts and even they are a bit cheesy nowadays.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote