Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
TFW2005 Staff Top Toy Picks of 2016

With 2016 rapidly fading into memory, the TFW2005 staff once again sat down to reflect on the figures released in the past year. The overall consensus was that 2016 was once again a strong year for collectors, with the Masterpiece and Titans Return/Takara Legends lines scoring top picks or honorable mentions across the board. The staff also confirmed that they were not yet done with combiners, with those molds continuing to make a strong showing. Among individual figures, it appears as though Masterpiece finished the year on an uptick. Inferno led the way overall with four top picks and six » Continue Reading.

The post TFW2005 Staff Top Toy Picks of 2016 appeared first on Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM.

More...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #2
Roadhammer
Wrecker
Re: TFW2005 Staff Top Toy Picks of 2016

Having just gotten my UW Computron in the mail yesterday, yeah, I agree that it's totally amazing. I feel like Hasbro's offering is superior in only a single respect; the dedicated hands/feet. But in every other respect, UW Computron is way, way better; Nosecone in particular stands out for me, especially when compared to the rather lazy drill tank remould Hasbro did for Brawl for their set. Even the fact that their version of Lightspeed is made from Breakdown, one of the jankiest CW moulds whereas Hasbro used Dead End, which is one of the best, still wins out for me since Takara gave him a new head whereas Hasbro opted for a straight-up Streetwise repaint (and I feel the Wheeljack tooling makes for a better-looking, more accurate vehicle mode).

Powermaster Prime is also really good, a great example of how these recent lines can really succeed in doing remoulds well. I haven't yet managed to get a Triggerhappy, but I can't wait to do so, since I've heard nothing but good things about him.

I tend to stay away from most MP releases, but Optimus Primal tempts me. Cheetor less so, but I wouldn't say no to Primal at some point down the line. Inferno does nothing for me, sadly; no attachment whatsoever to the character.
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post

I tend to stay away from most MP releases, but Optimus Primal tempts me. Cheetor less so, but I wouldn't say no to Primal at some point down the line. Inferno does nothing for me, sadly; no attachment whatsoever to the character.
stay away from most MP releases? Why? MP is the best line in Transformers....

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

MPs going downhill as of late.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
MPs going downhill as of late.
Agreed! Higher prices, lack of dicast, hollowness, multiple QC issues, and characters and designs that I just don't like have disenchanted the MP line for me.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Chigimus
Masterpiece

MP being the largest scale also doesn't necessarily make it the "best line either. It's all very subjective. Personally, from a shelf space and financing standpoint, I would prefer seeing less MP's and better quality CHUG's like what FP and MMC tend to produce, for example.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Ras
Generation 1

I'm very limited when it comes to MP figures as I personally see MP figures as collectables rather than toys. Kinda like royal dalton figurines and franklin mint products. Too expensive and I prefer to consider myself as being into toys strangely enough.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Roadhammer
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
stay away from most MP releases? Why? MP is the best line in Transformers....
Mostly, because it's too expensive. I can't afford to collect MP figures on a regular basis. Import prices + buying from US retailers + shipping/handling = quite a bit of scratch on my end for a single figure. That's why at present I only have two MPs in my collection; Star Saber (I couldn't pass up the Brainmaster/super robot gimmick, plus he was pretty boss in MTMTE) and Shockwave (because I collect Shockwaves). And Star Saber was only possible because I was able to buy him with Christmas money.

As tempted as I am by MP Megatron, buying him from either of my usual online haunts would run me something like $300 CDN after all was said and done.
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

MP Inferno would be my #1 pick for the year.

MPs like Hotrod or the Vans were mediocre at best. Not nearly as fun as figures like Shockwave or earlier efforts like Sideswipe or Bee.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
TRUCKvsGUN

I'm surprised that they chose MP Inferno over MP Ironhide, when all of Ironhide's flaws are present in greater severity in Inferno.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote