Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
prime
Generation 2
TF Prime: Most Character Development?

Thinking about this while reading another thread:

Who do you think has shown the most character development on the show?

You can take "Character Development" to refer to either (or both) their progression throughout the season, or simply those whose character has been fleshed out the most.

On both counts I'd say Starscream; we've learned a lot about him, even showing an honourable side (breakdown), and he's gone through so many stages, from lackey, to tyrant, conspirator and enlightenment.

And I'd say the least developed (on both counts) is the one-dimensional, same-as-she-was-in-episode-1 Miko.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: TF Prime: Most Character Development?

None of the charters have developed that much. The first season for the most part just introduces the characters. The later season flesh out the characters.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

I'd Honestly say Arcee and Jack with episodes dedicated to the small development of the rest of the cast. Clearly though, it's all about Arcee and Jack, what with his mom,cliffjumper,airachnid,etc,etc.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain View Post
I'd Honestly say Arcee and Jack with episodes dedicated to the small development of the rest of the cast. Clearly though, it's all about Arcee and Jack, what with his mom,cliffjumper,airachnid,etc,etc.
This. And definitely Starscream for sure.

Optimus kinda counts, but those being the season finale and probably the start of the next season and seeing his past life as Orion Pax.

I think Megatron sorta counts too in that he's mellowed out and isn't as insane as he was in the beginning.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
gagagalvatron
Half psychotic

I was thinking about this this morning.

Arcee, without hesitation. She's got her relationship with Jack, but she's also dealing with the fallout from the deaths of both her previous partners, and Airachnid's and Starscream's roles in each.

Arcee is really the only character who has meaningful relationships with multiple members of the cast. I wouldn't say she's had a lot of growth or change, but she's got the most fleshed out history and the best development and motivation.

Starscream isn't far behind for reasons already given, but once you get Arcee and Starscream out of the way, there's not much else.

The rest of the characters are more insular. Prime and Megatron have been, frankly, boring. Their interaction at the end of the season was notable only because up until then it had been predictable or non-existent (of course, Megatron had some serious down time).

Bumblebee, without a voice, is closer to a puppy dog than a character. Ditto for Soundwave, though you could substitute "attack dog" for puppy. Ratchet is insular. Bulkhead has to endure the black hole of Miko, and occasionally hangs out with other characters who could use more development. "Having a past" (whether with Wheeljack or Breakdown) is not the same as actually having a relationship. Airachnid started off good (if a bit one-note) but her current position makes no sense.

The show spends too much time on one-episode McGuffins or the weekly Decepticon Horcrux of Doom that's super-important one week and forgotten the next. Some of that's to be expected on a show like this. But they've shown with Arcee that it's possible to do interesting things with at least some of the characters along the way.
gagagalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

I think Ratchet is the best and most interesting character on the show. He seems to have a very complete and believable personality. He has layers. Scientific curiosity, ambition, humour, history.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
prime
Generation 2

No doubt Arcee & her relationships with various characters is central to the story and has given coniderable development.

IMHO though, I still go with Starscream, because I think the writers did a great job of creating different emetions towards him. Arcee started out & still is a tragic hero. Starscream has gone through more transitions, and elicits more varied emotions, from disgust (first couple of episodes) all the way to sympathy (especially near the end of the season)... kinda like what happened with the G1 character.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Autovolt 127
Animated

Arcee, Ratchet and Starscream.

In other words my favourite charecters.
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
XII
Generation 1

I have to agree with what most people here are saying, Starscream, and Arcee seem to be the only characters given any real chance to change. I find this quite sad seeing how much screen time Miko gets, but maybe I think she gets too much 'cause I can't stand her?
Any way I think Ratchet has started his ascension into being more that a card board cut-out, after all his opinions on humans has slowly started to change after introducing Jake's mother to the 'Bots.

Personally I'm interested in seeing some development on Soundwave's front. The only thing we ever really see him do is take out Airachnid. I want to know, why he doesn't speak, what is his motivation for following Megatron? (I am currently reading Transformers: Exodus and will read Transformers: Exiles after so please no spoilers.)

Also I hope the start of season 2 brings us some better character analysis' on both Megatron and Optimus, I feel like I know these too like we've been given the chance to know Arcee and Starscream, but we really haven't. It's the illusion created by watching/reading so much Transformers media.

Sadly as some one said before they tend not to focus much on character history or development too much in season one. And far too many of the characters might as well be just Vehicons/Vehibots because they are just cardboard cut outs placed into the show for filler.

Sorry If I got a bit off track here, and for any grammar mistakes heh.

-XII
XII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Protoman
The Legend

Arcee and Jack.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, prime