Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #71
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models
Re: Automaton and other Canadian stores and US Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
THIS ↑↑↑↑

Canprime is right. I DON'T CARE about all the reasons to charge in USD. I understand them all, and see why it happens, but I don't care.

As a customer, when I see a Canadian e-tailer charging me in USD, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.
I'm not accusing anyone of ripping us off, nor do I actually think anyone is, but that's how I feel.
I'm sure they understand some Canadian customers won't like it and will stop shopping with them, but when the alternative is going under, what else can they do?

Quote:
Pre-orders aside, which can be complicated, I still don't see why, especially as someone pointed out earlier, that since it wouldn't be ethical to raise the price on an item just because the dollar fluctuates, why these sites just don't list the items in Canadian dollars? I have not really seen a good argument against doing this.
Well they'd have to use dual currencies on the site: cdn for in-stock, usd for pre-orders. That would be confusing and technically messy, I'd think. Or do the "no price listed" pre-orders, which is a valid approach but some customers might not like either. Both have pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCollector420 View Post
I think when in Canada or .ca, charge in Canadian currency. If you'd like an international business, use .com instead. If you are running your business in Canada, keep your sales in Canadian funds.
To be fair, though, A3U and Automaton are .com sites, not .ca.

Quote:
I think if you want to be an American business, with American money, you should move to America and open shop there.
They almost certainly can't do that: Canadian citizens can't move to the USA and start a business there without going through a very difficult and lengthy immigration application process that has a large chance of never succeeding.

Quote:
We're in Canada, and we need to keep our dollar strong, not feed an economy that doesn't help our own.
But they are: when we pay them in usd for a figure, only the amount they need to pay their supplier leaves the country as usd. The amount they keep as margin/profit and the tax amount get converted to cdn and spent here in Canada (or sent to the Cdn govt for the tax amount). The $100usd headed to the supplier has to happen in any scenario, even if they kept their site in cdn dollars (they'd have to convert the cdn revenue to usd and send it off to the suppliers).
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #72
python
Alternator

I've moved a few orders here:

http://www.canucktibles.ca/

I think a lot of poster's on this thread might be interested.
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #73
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Well they'd have to use dual currencies on the site: cdn for in-stock, usd for pre-orders. That would be confusing and technically messy, I'd think. Or do the "no price listed" pre-orders, which is a valid approach but some customers might not like either. Both have pros and cons.
There is a third option: "Pre-order prices are subject to change". Even BBTS says that on their pre-orders.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #74
Hoffman
Generation 1

To preface this, I am not a sponsor of this site, so I will not use this as advertisement. (we are a sponsor of a sister site)

However,

Here is the #1 reason I started an online store that charges in CAD: 2.5% conversion fee on every USD transaction on top of your payment method's already inflated exchange rate.

Unless you have a US dollar account of some sort, every payment method charges something like this.

As a customer, I was tired of paying inflated rates and a fee on products that I was buying from within our own country. Plus, conversion and fees on taxes, which has been mentioned. When you buy in US dollars, you are paying significantly more than the daily posted exchange rate. (Which is actually the bank rate)

My philosophy is to eat the conversion against the profit margin. That's how most Canadian business works. No matter where you buy along the line, somebody is absorbing US dollar conversion. I don't believe it should be passed 100% onto the customer. Is some of it still reflected in the final price? Usually, but as long as the Canadian pricing remains competitive, it is to the customer's benefit.

All of that said, I 100% understand why stores charge in USD. It opens their doors to US customers in a way that just isn't possible using Canadian currency.

My company likely will never be as successful as those stores for that reason, but I don't need it to be. If I can make a living providing products to fellow Canadians, that's good enough for me. Obviously I would like to be wildly successful, but I will not abandon the primary reason I started my company.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #75
elburrito
Animated

Good job! Hasbro was started by a couple guys, one who liked to make toys and another who liked to sell them. I have no idea who is in charge now, but the "liked...toys" 1/2 of the equation is gone. I think this shows in the product.

It's fantastic to see someone in it who is thinking more about the enjoyment & service than the bottom line. It may not make you rich, out of debt etc...but I bet it makes you happy!

Please PM me your site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
To preface this, I am not a sponsor of this site, so I will not use this as advertisement. (we are a sponsor of a sister site)

However,

Here is the #1 reason I started an online store that charges in CAD: 2.5% conversion fee on every USD transaction on top of your payment method's already inflated exchange rate.

Unless you have a US dollar account of some sort, every payment method charges something like this.

As a customer, I was tired of paying inflated rates and a fee on products that I was buying from within our own country. Plus, conversion and fees on taxes, which has been mentioned. When you buy in US dollars, you are paying significantly more than the daily posted exchange rate. (Which is actually the bank rate)

My philosophy is to eat the conversion against the profit margin. That's how most Canadian business works. No matter where you buy along the line, somebody is absorbing US dollar conversion. I don't believe it should be passed 100% onto the customer. Is some of it still reflected in the final price? Usually, but as long as the Canadian pricing remains competitive, it is to the customer's benefit.

All of that said, I 100% understand why stores charge in USD. It opens their doors to US customers in a way that just isn't possible using Canadian currency.

My company likely will never be as successful as those stores for that reason, but I don't need it to be. If I can make a living providing products to fellow Canadians, that's good enough for me. Obviously I would like to be wildly successful, but I will not abandon the primary reason I started my company.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #76
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
Please PM me your site?
Same here, I'd like to know what your site is as well.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #77
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Uh, you guys do realize that it typically costs 15-20$ to ship between provinces right? Flat rate fees being charged to us is technically the seller eating some of the cost of shipping.

Unless they get deals for being e-tailers and shipping so much during the year. But I'm not about to open up that kettle of fish.

Hell the only reason Amazon can offer free shipping isn't because they're doing us a solid, it's customer PR and also they're volume is large enough to actually cover the loss of free shipping. Why the hell do you think TRU.ca raised their limit from 25 to 49? They obviously weren't making enough to justify the lower amount.
TRU makes more than enough money to cover any shipping costs. In this day and age, a multibillion dollar company like them should be offering FREE shipping to remain competitive.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #78
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

@elburrito and @Einstein

It's the last one listed on the ActionFigureNews.ca website.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #79
ccsquinty
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post

However,

many people don't know this...

you can signup for a chase canada amazon visa

no annual fee
no 2.5% conversion fee

it is the best card for travelling outside of canada or online purchases in foreign currency
ccsquinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #80
Hoffman
Generation 1

You are right, I had forgotten about that card, it is a good option
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote