Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 08-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
Slave's DOUBLE review: KFC sencho Barbosa & Brave serie Captain Shark

Let's go for something special here, a Double Review/Comparison

First, here's a video review covering both figures's transformations comparison: http://youtu.be/s0u14CyUv_c

So I have the Original Brave series Captain Shark, which I love... and when KFC announced that they were making their version of it I just HAD to jump on the occasion to get it.. and I finally received it, so... here's a little review and comparison of KFC sencho Barbosa & Brave series Captain Shark

Both of these are just Incredible figures, of course they don't come from the same era... Brave series dates back a while and the figure is pretty simple and Stiff... while KFC's have an incredibly pose-able and much more articulated whereas today's standards in 3rd party figures.

First off their shark-submarine mode is so similar, I LOVE the fact that KFC put some extra effort to make their figure so much alike the original one... the Paint, the visual, the overall look. It's amazing the attention to details. Obviously Captain Shark is bigger, but not as much as I was thinking it would be.

where Captain Shark has most of his details in Stickers... bloody stickers... I hate putting stickers on my figures, I suck at it, and it's bad enought that the Stickers started to peel off after a while But KFC has fixed this by having the whole figure completely painted.. the paint job is remarkable!

Obviously KFC's figure is still more detailed... as expected from a 3rd party whose always made great quality toys. always loved KFC, they rearly let me down (altho for Sensho Barbosa my figure is missing a piece, but I contacted BBTS and hopefully they'll send me the missing part).

The transformation from one another is incredibly similar, Captain Shark obviously is the more simpler one, but KFC's is not that complicated at all, it only has a few more bending and folding, but still both figure are incredibly alike when they transforms

Barbosa kinda disappoints me a little with a sorta big backpack that he has, where Captain Shark barely even have one. Captain Shark's tails splits open and forms a nice Cape, where Barbosa's tails folds into a backpack... Now his back pack does look better withouth his Tail weapon stored in the back, but that tail weapon is so friggin Fugly when he holds it in his hands that... we just feel like storing it in the back anyway.

Captain Shark, even for an old figure, score points for th lack of kibbles in the back, the cape looks cleaner than Barbosa's cluster fuck of cape, tail, and spikes all over the place

As for the robot mode, Captain shark sure is a stiff one, with Zero articulation except some swivels in the arms. While Barbosa is just FANTASTIC. Highly detailed, yet still looks so much alike one another. KFC really went the extra mile to make this figure look as much as the original Captain Shark. I really Love this.

Both of them will now be sitting Side by side on my shelves.

Verdict: Of course KFC's Barbosa has the looks, the moves, the details.... but still the Brave serie Captain Shark has the charm, the superior build quality, and the stiffness of a rock which is still an instant classic.

Both of these are incredible figures that I highly recommend picking them up... BOTH.

Pros:
  1. KFC's Barbosa
  • Plastic Quality
  • Articulation
  • Paint Job
  • Attention to details
  • He's a Pirate
  • He's also a Shark
  1. Brave Series Captain Shark
  • Plastic Quality
  • Gattling Spinning Canon
  • Cheap price
  • He's a Pirate
  • He's also a Shark

Cons:
  1. KFC's Barbosa
  • Bad Quality Control: I'm Missing a piece of Lower Jaw in my package
  • Incredibly Sharp and pointy parts ALL OVER THE PLACE, you could get arrested carrying this toy around as a weapon.
  1. Brave Series Captain Shark
  • Stiff as hell, no articulations at all beside arms swivels
  • Stickers are peeling off

Thats it, I really cant think of anything more.

these are great figures and should be picked up by everyones... or maybe at least wait until they redecos comes out and one suits you better if you have zero affiliations to Captain Shark.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
PrimeCron
Metroplex
PrimeCron's Ebay Auctions
Re: Slave's DOUBLE review: KFC sencho Barbosa & Brave serie Captain Shark

Thank you for the review... I saw that KFC is planning a repaint of him in BLACK and YELLOWish... I just hope that they go ahead with that color scheme...

Feedback link...
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=27458
PrimeCron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

I think there is 3 color for him planned: Sky Byte redeco, the black and yellow one called Tsunami... dont know who he is supposed to be representing, and I think I saw somewhere (might be a fan repaint) of a Sharkticons grey pink and light blue...
Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
BoNKerS
Animated

I had no clue there was an original Capt. Shark. I thought this toon was an original.

thanks for the compare!! great stuff!!
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbosa, review, shark, slave